West Camino Cielo Road [CLOSED]

West Camino Cielo Road [CLOSED] is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Goleta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 0 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

closed

This route is temporarily closed from either side. Please check here for updates: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lpnf/recarea/?recid=82578

off road driving

Ride this on the Dual Sport motorcycle last weekend. Sign says road closed as it’s a road that isn’t maintained by the county so you are at your own risk. Dirt road with some small bits of paved areas. There are some ruts and small ditches to avoid here and there so it can a challenge for some. BEWARE: I rode the trail after a lot of rain this year and the greens to the sides of the trail had grown quite tall, so tall it hid a giant tree stump at the edge of the trail and as I was riding the edge to avoid the aforementioned ruts my side panniers connected with stump and I went down in the dirt. That was located toward the end of the trail on a straightaway so I hit it at a decent speed. Beware the growth hiding obstacles to the edge of the trail but other than that it is a good ride. NOTE: for a more challenging ride you with great views of the coast and Cachuma Lake along the ridgeline continue on W Camino Cielo. Advanced ride for dual sport bikes Boulders, rocky terrain, bigger ruts and ditches and some soft patches of dirt so ride cautiously. Amazing views though, worth the challenge!!!

Monday, September 03, 2018

Road up is closed. Don’t even try it from the Refugio side.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

it's a different hike. you can start either from the top or from the bottom. Good views but I have seen better. We saw few deers at the end which was rewarding. The drive is nice and tricky.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Not sure what is going on here. Tried to drive up Refugio Road and there are a number of signs "Road Closed, Local Traffic Only". Then when we encountered a couple walking dogs we asked if we could walk from the construction site up, we were told that if we tried to do that, "someone would call the sheriff". Not sure if that was legit or they were just being jerks or what.

recorded EVM