Weir Canyon Trail

Weir Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Anaheim, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy trail, but pretty with all the flowers bloomed. Not too crowded if you go early but it looked like it was about to be as soon as we finished. My dog also seemed to enjoy it.

Mustards and flowers are returning in some areas. The hill west of the Old Weir Canyon Trail was solid mustard plants before the fire but still has a long way to go. Snakes and rodents are starting to return too. This has been one of my favorite trails for decades and still is.

Hiked with dog on 3/31/18. The effects of last October’s wildfire were devastating on the park and its many oak trees and other vegetation. But there is also much new greenery and growth. Saw many wild California poppies, maybe more than last year.

great trail to frequent.
street parking.
some parts are burned and rebounding.
starting to green out for spring already as well in some parts.

We have gone here twice and it has been ok. We are in no rush to return. We have had no trouble finding parking on Hidden Canyon & E. Overlook Terrace. Both times we have taken the trail that heads to the NE and RT is about 3.7 miles. As you enter the trail head there are options to go south and we will need to check that out next time. There aren't amazing views or a cool destination to see at the end of this trail. The trail loops around and it is pretty close to homes at part. It is a decent option since it is not very far away. On one of our visits we came across a snake and a large tarantula just chilling on the trail.

Nice views! Recovering from the fires a few months ago. Not as many people for a Sunday morning.

The OC Parks web site says this trail is now open. A few signs 2 miles in (northeastern most portion) say it is still closed, but that may be for people entering from that remote location and those signs simply have not yet been removed.

The trail is very stark and surreal after having been burned in the Canyon Fires. Only cactus and the largest trees and bushes survived, and the only wildlife are birds. Hopefully nature does its job and rejuvenates the wildflowers this spring. The rain from 2 weeks ago finally helped new grass sprouts everywhere, a uniform 2 to 3 inches. Weekly visits may be fun for my son to watch nature rebound and return.

According to the revised map from OC Parks. The Weir Canyon loop is open. http://www.ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=70709

This trail is amazing. You can do an easy one mile loop or you can connect Weir and Santiago trails to do 10+ mile strenuous runs.
The 4ish Mile Weir loop gives you everything you could ask for in terms of terrain with constantly changing scenery ( huge plus ). This is a moderate trail run for a newer runner where technique can really be worked on. If your looking for an added challenge and/or additional mileage add on the loop to Robbers Roost.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great hike.Easy as well my only major recommendation would be to get an early start on this hike maybe 7-8am because there is no shade throughout the entire hike.There are lots of twists and turns and snakes !! beware of rattlesnakes they could pop out of nowhere .Regulars here say they will see multiple rattlesnakes on warm days .I myself saw one with my fellow hiker .Other than that Enjoy !

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Beautiful hike with an early 8 AM start time. The trail includes lots of ups and downs with twisty paths, We went counter clockwise. I was thankful I brought my poles. They were useful for the steep down hills and up hills. Dogs are allowed on a leash, but the trail is exposed to sun with no shade to speak of. They may get really hot if there is no overcast skies as there was today.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Pretty simple, lots of uphill. The markers confused us a bit, bc there's a Weir Canyon, and an Old Weir Canyon trail, but it's so open, and you can use the mansions around you as markers, so getting lost isn't something to fear.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Another great time on the trail. Now that it's warming up make sure to take plenty of water and a proper hat. I went for a noontime walk & drank a grip. More than I did just 2 weeks ago. Snakes are also out so be mindful of the trail.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nice workout! Flowers were in full bloom and lots of greenery! Lots of up and down hills so a bit challenging however would go back again anytime! Did the loop counter-clockwise and passed quite a few people going the opposite way, so we'll try clockwise next time.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Easy? It depends upon your fitness level. Mine isn't great with hills and there are lots of ups and downs. This trail may have limited elevation gain but that doesn't tell you that you may be repeating the same elevation gain! It's sunny with rarely any shade but such a feeling of being out of the city when on the inner side of the loop. Despite my challenge for the hills, I enjoy this trail. Close to N OC but a real sense of hiking.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Nice hike with great views. Just enough of a incline to get ur heart rate up and alittle bit of a sweat going. I would recommend this for sure!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Nice local hiking trail. Clear path. It is a bit over taken by mustard plants right now but otherwise a great hike!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

This trail is hella fun. An easy walk for any beginner. There isn't much of elevation, a few switch back climbs here and there but a great trail all around.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great trail if you can't get out of town. The flowers right now are beautiful so be sure to take your camera and allow extra time to take in nature.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Nice hike but little shade. Bring plenty of water.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Great easy hike, lots of green nature, amazing views of OC! Easy for beginners, bring a few bottle of waters follow the trail you will circle back!

Sunday, March 05, 2017

nature

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Easy trail. Take the "old" trail split if you want one quick challenging steep climb. Otherwise, stick to the left to keep it easy. It is especially beautiful after all the rains with its tall green grasses and wildflowers. A few impressive lookout spots/views as well. I also enjoy that it's a loop, so you don't have to backtrack the way you already came.

I can't imagine this trail being as enjoyable in the hotter months though, when most of the vegetation will be brown and the trail dusty. Hence only four stars.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Easy and convenient trail. Very nice a few weeks after rain, when everything is green!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Challenging hike for beginners but the views made it all worth it :)

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Great hike! Mine was a fast pace hike with a couple stops for water breaks and to just enjoy the view. My hike was with OC Parks so it was a group and we got to go a different route than most people. We started at the Outdoor Education Center, took the IROEC Trail to a gate that opened to the Weir canyon trail. This is normally locked but OC Parks opened it. Here we entered the Weir canyon trail going a couple miles before cutting back onto the Roadrunner Loop. Total miles was 3.8 miles. Took about an hour and a half. Lots of inclines so not the easiest hike but I felt it was the perfect amount and the trail ends rather flat giving you a nice cool down period. 610ft elevation gain.

Friday, January 27, 2017

Great for a quick hike and love that I can bring my dogs. Less poop laying around than most dog-friendly trails, which is nice. Thanks everyone for picking up after your pups!

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Moderate up and down trail through the canyon. Did the loop which ended up being a little under 4 miles. Watch for mountain bikers

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This was an awesome hike and the views were breathtaking!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

This is my regular hike route. If I'm able to I hike this trail after work before going home. Lightly trafficked. Be aware of coyotes. They're not seen regularly but I have seen them on occasion.