Way Up Trail to Harmony Grove Overlook

Way Up Trail to Harmony Grove Overlook is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escondido, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful. Trails were well defined and had adequate signage. Grounds were beautiful— a lot of trails and hiking nooks to check out! If you’re not a hiker or out of shape it probably won’t be as enjoyable. I found it to be easy but it was a challenging easy! There are portables and drinking fountains found throughout the grounds. One could easily spend a day here I came on Sunday morning very little foot traffic. *put on sun screen

Steady ascend to the overlook. It was fairly warm although we started our walk @ about 830 am., so I suggest starting the trip earlier in the day if possible.

I took my kids on the this trail! We took the botanical route back, and it was beautiful! We walked across the stream and the running water was amazing! Just stay on the trail as there are poison plants off of it—but there are warning signs everywhere!

Started with the Way Up Trail and we ended it at the Escondido overlook. There was still tons of other trails available. We then came back down and took the Botanical Garden route and ended it at the Creek overlook, which was a great ending!

Great place to hike with your pup! Note- They must stay on a leash and PLEASE when you pick up after them, throw their waste away! I saw so many little baggies on the ground, along the trail. I’m afraid if too many people do not throw the bags away, they will not allow dogs anymore. Please keep this trail dog friendly.
It is a moderate hike with a relatively steep incline, especially in the beginning. All dirt and rocks, not suitable for small children, strollers or wheelchairs.
We will definitely be returning and I will start earlier in the morning before the day heats up.

Great hike with great views. While the first half is all ascent, it never felt too steep or unmanageable. Great views of Escondido, Lake Hodges, and in the distance, the ocean!

Good hike.

Short but uphill the entire way and you can keep going for a longer hike!

Nice urban hike with some views at the top. Easy hike.

nice easy hike. my 4yr old got tired at the 1mile mark but was able to convince her to make it to the top.

The set of trails at the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve is a hidden gem in the North County...several choices of paths and pace.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Drinking fountain at the top was very helpful. Kids also enjoyed the info center at entrance

Monday, June 05, 2017

Short hike but a good work out. The top of the trail is a jumping off point for a lot of other trails. We went on a foggy day so the overlooks were a bit useless but the fog did make for a more mysterious journey. :)

Saturday, April 15, 2017

beautiful views with some steep ascents and lots of bird watching opportunities

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Great trail with a beautiful pay off. Very manageable and worth it for every level of hiker.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Great cardio on the ascent. There are tons of small and medium size loose rocks on this trail. I wasn't paying close enough attention and ended up eating shit on this trail on the way down...:-/

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Went on a Wednesday morning and the trail was quite crowded. If you have dog with you, I highly recommend going a quarter mile further than the overlook, because you can let your dog off leash. Great trail and great views!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Fun trail with a great reward at the top. I took the botanical trail on the way down and was surprised at the creek crossing, although there were signs for it. I wasn't prepared to step over the rocks through the creek, but it was a nice little challenge.

Monday, January 16, 2017

This is a decent hike and the botanical trail is a must see.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Beautiful scenery and not too challenging.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

One of my local favorites.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Challenging if you're out of shape and it's hot out! ;-) absolutely gorgeous! Lots to see!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

One of my favorite trails! This trail is fairly narrow, and weekends are a mesh of hikers dodging mnt bikers, so I prefer to go during the week. It's 3miles up, and down, but at the top there are lots of others trails. I have turned this hike into an 8mi, but I'm sure you could make it even longer!