Waterman Mountain Loop Trail

Waterman Mountain Loop Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mt Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Use Buckhorn campground as a point where this trail starts. Cross the road, and pass the white gate. After a few feet you will have three options - continue on the dirt road, take a left on a trail or right on a different trail. I recommend taking a left and going up with the scenic route.

Good! I went crock wise and a first half trail was good.
Another half was a service road for ski area.
I want to go the twin peaks trail next week.

canoeing

This was great. We started with the fire road which, as some others have said, was a bit mediocre. Although, we're glad we did because the payoff was amazing once you reach the summit. Amazing views, and the trail section is a whole lot of fun. Very very clean. At 6 miles, we ran into only two people. Lots of shade and still a bit of snow out in April. Would definitely do again!

Dec 23. Super peaceful, and super cold. I went counter clockwise, beginning on the fire road. That part of the hike is kinda eh. Once you hit the trail though, it's really great.

You need an adventure pass—you can buy a day pass for six bucks at the small restaurant 7 miles before the trailhead.

Isolated, moderate difficulty. Trail is fairly easy to follow with the assistance of a GPS. I didn't see a human, just a cat. Strong pine smell and good views. Good shade from the pines, although a midday hike would potentially be hot mid summer. Much cooler here than down the mountain, as you would expect.

We went up to Mt Waterman to escape the heat, and we weren't disappointed. We took the trail out and back, electing not to complete the loop on the fire roads. The trail was in good shape, and not crowded at all. It was a good summer escape, but it seems like it would be better in the spring.

I did this trail clockwise in about 2.5 hours and recorded it at 6 miles. The ascent is full of beautiful views and scenery, especially the between the 1 mile mark and the summit. The summit itself has great views, though it's large and flat compared to other summits. The walk down on the fire road wasn't as enjoyable and interesting as the way up, but still nice. Next time I might just do an out-and-back route to the summit to avoid the fire road.

Started late in the day with perfect weather. Decided to park just up from the campground at the unmarked trail head. The hike was great with a good elevation gane did the loop clockwise coming back down on the fire road. Be shure to keep to the right just before the ski lodge to keep on the main road. All together a great hike.