Waterman Mountain Loop Trail

Waterman Mountain Loop Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mt Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Use Buckhorn campground as a starting point. Cross the road, and pass the white gate. After a few feet you will have three options - continue on the dirt road, take a left on a trail or right on a different trail.

This was a beautiful trail! We decided to opt outside on this trail. The trail starts at a white fire road gate across from the Buck Horn day use area that has a few benches and a vault toilet. It was 3.5 miles going up and 3.5 miles coming down a total of 7miles. I noticed a few websites say it’s 5.3 miles total but our trackers said 7miles total. It felt like 7miles total. My suggestion is to start the loop and stay to the left side going up. The left side has a more gradual elevation gain and it was absolutely doable coming down felt steep but I’m glad we hiked down the steep side and didn’t climb up it. It was about a 3hour Hike but very enjoyable!

Loved this hike, very gradual climb up to some fun, easy bouldering

Training hike with 25 lb. backpack. Started from Buckhorn at 4:20pm and returned after dark. Walking down in the dark was easy via the access road. The ski buildings and vehicles were a reminder of civilization, but the first half of the loop is pleasantly secluded.

Foggy day but Awesome chill day for Running some trails

This is one of my favorite hikes in the San Gabriels. I've hiked this mountain many times, but never this variation. I took the Mt Waterman trail to the top of the ridge, and then took a little side trip East through the Buckhorn Ski Club area. I then continued back up the trail to the summit area. what I love about this variation is that you get to explore the whole mountain, and what a beautiful mountain it is.