Waterman Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(232)
Angeles National Forest

Waterman Mountain Loop Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Loop

Use Buckhorn Day use lot as a starting point. Cross the street and go through the white gate. Follow the trail up a bit and you’ll see a sign that says trail. Go to the left for the better loop of the trail.

This trail was awesome! I was by myself and got a little confused at the ski resort (??) and tiny house off the fire roads , and I also took a wrong road and had to back track. Whoops! Otherwise, beautiful!

Great trail. I did the loop (ie down the Waterman ski area / fire trail). Met some good people on the trail and enjoyed the views!

Great trail...we decided to do the "out and back" instead of the "loop". Signs on trail are sparse so be very attentive. Once you're close to the summit you'll see another trail that kinda veers to the left. It's a steep incline. Take that to get to the summit. You'll see a group of boulder rocks once you get to the top. We didn't see a sign designating summit as Mt. Waterman peak. Crossed three streams... the first stream we crossed was really nice...great photo op... the other two were very small. Trail is well maintained and pretty easy to navigate.

pretty good trail. lots of tall trees and the trails are pretty well paved. can get a tiny bit tricky finding the sharp turn the trail makes so download the map. one or two small patches of snow. very sparse wildflowers. bring a hat.

Too many dumb people with the radios blasting and smell of weed smoke. It was like an LA hike but in a more remote area. The views are better midway up. A group decided to stop exactly where we were eating so that ruined that food spot too so we stopped and kept moving. The top does not have a clear peak so I just rock climbed a mound of rocks that seemed to be the highest. The fire road down was my favorite part bc there were less of the annoying kinds of people and interesting old abandoned things like machinery and a ski lift. A lot of the frisbee golf hoops were there too so it was amusing to see a few guys playing. My mom liked it and this was for her for Mother's Day so that's all that mattered. I preferred the Gorgonio hike I did the day before.

Great and beautiful hike. I would do an out and back instead of taking the fire road as the fire road was boring and it was difficult to see the trail at times.

Great trail. If you go the way this route is planned (ie, left when the loop starts, aka clockwise), it’s a great narrow trail up through awesome trees and boulders. Still some snow off trail mostly. From the top, the fire road is just a fire road, which is why it’s better to do on the way down. The old ski resort stuff near the top (just a bit after you start heading back down) is super cool and interesting as well.

Perfect escape to trees and mountain breeze. small patches of snow to navigate near the top but a unique experience considering I was in shorts and short sleeves. Lots of dogs (on leash) and at times hard to socially distance (I would always detour up the side of the hill to let people pass). But this was noon on a Sunday and there were not nearly as busy as other trails closer to the city. Take the loop, the western side is mostly wide fire roads (ski runs)

Great hike I’d do this again. Most of the snow melted off with only small patches left here and there (4/29). If you go clockwise, there’s some great views on the way to the peak. This hike also passes through mount waterman ski lifts which is cool to see.

Trail was still super snowy on 4/23. Would have been fun with snowshoes and/or gaiters. Lots of falling through slush today.

Still quite a bit of snow today (21 April). Doable in good shoes thouo! We checked only a part of fire trail and it was beautiful. don't know what on the left side still! Will be back in couple of weeks!

Hiked up right side of trail. 6” snow at bottom and 1-2 feet near top. Other hikers said the left side of the trail had more snow so we turned around. Great views. Hiked right under mt waterman ski lifts. Need to come back with snow shoes or later in the season.

Still a lot of snow on the trail. Anywhere from 1 to 3 feet of snow. Snowboarders were on the mountain.

A good amount of snow on the trail. The southern part is more hard packed and a clear trail. regular shoes are fine, but I'd recommend micro spikes for the way down as it might be slippery. 2 miles in is a great view point. The northern part is much wider (I'm assuming there's a road underneath) and deeper snow (around 1-2 feet deep), so snow shoes would have been helpful but not a must overall.

Love this trail: scenery, quiet, piney air, cool boulder outcrops. Minus one star for the fire road on the way down, though the views are still beautiful. Conditions weren't snowshoeable today—cover too thin and crunchy, and plenty of exposed dirt on the way up and down, even at the summit—but I needed my microspikes. To find the right trailhead go directly across the road from the yellow sign for the Day Use Area (the lot where the toilets and picnic tables are, not the parking area above it). I was misled by a marked trail after a white gate across from the upper parking area, which I quickly lost and had to pick my way uphill to the fire road. At the junction with the fire road go left and do the loop clockwise, it leads to a lovely winding trail with a moderate grade and lots of switchbacks. The mileage on this might be slightly off. Including the spur to the summit and some poking around to check out boulders, views, and the Mt. Waterman lifts, my tracking app picked up 7.5 miles.

You’ll need micro-spikes & maybe even snowshoes for a bit of it. I didn’t make the loop as there was powder on a steep incline near the summit which I am not ready for but oh so beautiful nonetheless!

icy

Not much view at the summit. The roads near the top are really hard to find, because the snow covers everything and footprints may not always lead to the right path. We went out and back (up counter-clockwise, down clockwise). Microspikes are very helpful.

New layer of snow from last week's (11/20/19) rain! Enough that the trail was covered and we navigated by following footprints. Trekking poles helped; microspikes would have been better. Deserted as usual.

Would do this next as an up and back. We missed the very poorly marked train head (about 20 feet to your left from the white gate). Fire road was not nearly as scenic as the way back down (where we actually came out at the trail head!). Did not have any issues with bugs but it’s evident there is water flows - just dry as a bone in September! At the top of the trail, take some time to find the amazing green rock- worth a few moments! At the time of writing- the 2 was closed and google maps did NOT mention it- cost about 40 extra mins of driving.

I did this trail with my boyfriend and brother last weekend and it was so nice! It was a nice and gradual hike up. I went on a beautiful sunny day and even had a late start- 11 is late for me! Short and sweet! I

Recommend taking the trail clockwise because elevation gain is more tolerable and tree shaded. Some bugs, many use a mosquito net. After summit, long descent on open fire road if completing the full loop. Road is hot and dusty. Bring plenty of water. Overall it was a great hike with Beautiful views.

great trail! omg the bugs! they laughed at my deet spray. full head net will save you, don't forget to pack it. I really liked this trail, fire road ehhh not so much. next time will just do out to peak and back avoiding fire road.

Gorgeous, but does take forever to get there. We saw 3 other people the whole time. Total was about 7 mi but forgot to turn off recorder :)

One of the best trails in this area of the forest. Absolutely beautiful trail the whole way up with the summit obviously being just as great as it seems! Must do!