Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop

Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,709 feet Route Type: Loop

Winter and spring rains create scenic waterfalls in this hike at Mount Diablo, the East Bay's signature peak. While Mount Diablo State Park is best known for towering vistas from the mountain's twin East Bay summits, the seasonal rains that visit the San Francisco Bay Area every year create several scenic waterfalls in the mountain's rugged canyons.

no dogs :(

Nice set of trails, but very confusing with all the offshoots. Also, not a lot of shade if you're a midday hiker like me. Very hot in late August!

Bring lots of water and make sure you keep checking the map, it’s real easy to go off your trail

WARNING This trail is 10 miles long! Not 7.9. But if you bring about a gallon of water you will be good. YOU NEED A MAP! This app does very well for navigating the trail. Decent amount of shade. The 1 mile straight away at beginning and end is brutal thought. Might want to take the short cut to cut off the top half of the loop. Its summer so i saw no water. But i saw where the waterfalls would be. I saw a tarantula and some deer. Great experience. AND Bring a friend and walking sticks. Just in case.

I really enjoyed the varied levels during this hike. There was shade when I needed it and plenty of sun to require sunscreen. I was a little confused by the trail markers because they didn’t match the all trails name for where we were. I ended up going off trail because my phone was low on battery and I wasn’t looking at the map the whole time. The hike was beautiful and challenging, just what I was looking for. Next time I’ll bring my extra battery and follow the map!

Great day for a hike! A little hot and definitely glad we heeded the warnings to bring a lot of water. Also glad we had service and carefully followed AllTrails because we nearly took wrong turns a bunch of times. Keep a close eye on the map! No waterfalls really but still nice scenery.

It was a very nice trail, we went in summer so the waterfalls weren’t flowing as much but we still went and it was a great time, it is also better to go in the morning in my opinion

This is a hard trail. At some points, path is very narrow so be careful while walking. At least half the trail is shaded and It will be better if you start early to avoid summer heat. Waterfalls are so small and little water now. Overall its a good challenging 8+ miles hike.

This should be a great trail in the spring. The trail when I completed it was mostly exposed in 90^+ weather and little relief throughout the entire loop. If you plan to do the trail during the summer months bring PLENTY of water and expect a 2- mile pace average. The falls were sparse despite all the rain this year. Rates as moderate but I would rate it a low difficult. Elevation gain over a short distance and exposed trails with sporadic shade being the reason. Plan to visit again winter/spring with cool weather to reassess.

It’s a good hike for a windy day

Loved it, completed the hike on April 28th 2019. Scenic views, wild flowers, birds. Reached at 08.00 am so found parking quickly, entry fee deposit in envelope. Wonder how they monitor it. Learn to read the navigation pole quickly, lost the trail 2 times and hiked 400 meter of elevation wasting energy. But had beautiful views of wilderness In the end its worth. If you are just focused on waterfalls, you might want to start the trail opposite way. Trail could be slippery and risky at few places in rainy season.

beautiful hike, small waterfalls and lots of wildflowers. easy to get off track

Pretty cool trail with wildflowers...the Falls Trail via the Middle Trail is more like a detour but there is a nice little creek that runs along the trail. This trail is good for wildflowers, falls (however modest), hiking through rolling green hills. From the perspective of a moderately experienced hiker. It’s more of a moderate intensity trail. Probably not a good summertime hike.

Good hike. Definitely challenging, but it is the perfect time of year. Lots of wildflowers. It was a. It busy on a Sunday. 4 hours. 8.8 miles.

Sunny hike, sun block and lots of water needed. The whole hike is a little above 10 miles.

Mitchell Canyon is where you should drive and park. Regency Drive is a residential area and parking nightmare. besides, there are facilities at Mitchell as well as plentiful parking and trail maps.

its nice hiking place whit extraordinary views,hard but good!!

Nice walk with little baby waterfalls. Elevation gain gives you a little bit of a burn. Very enjoyable walk.

Haven’t done the falls trail in a few years and was really excited to give it a go this spring with all our rain! My boyfriend and I are avid hikers so we followed the guidelines above and let me just warn you- this was NOT 7.9 miles! We tracked our mileage on my bfs Fitbit and the total loop was 11.25 miles. The first 4 miles were the toughest, climbing elevation and a lot of switch backs but once you hit Meridian Ridge Road it’s a downhill fire road until you come across Middle Trail. Once we were on Middle Trail to Falls Trail we passed about 7 beautiful waterfalls and a variety of flowers. Lots of hikers out and it was a beautiful 75 degree day! Definitely recommend this hike and loop to anyone who is an avid hiker and is prepared to hike for 4 + hours!

this was a fun trail. I almost got lost twice and needed to refer back to the app for navigation. there was poison oak on some parks of the trail so be careful! p.s. bring a lot of water.

This trail has everything you’d want during a beautiful sunny, spring day in the Bay! Fair amount of wildflowers, babbling streams, a few waterfalls, and TONS of greenery. I hiked the entire loop starting at Mitchell Canyon trailhead which took me 3 hrs 20 mins with a few water/snack breaks. I would recommend this loop trail for any experienced hiker or athlete who wants to get in a great workout and enjoy the beauty Mt. Diablo has to offer! Fitbit tracked my mileage at 8.66. I suggesting bringing AllTrails app along to make sure you’re going the right way or to make short cuts as needed.