Learn more

Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(470)
Mount Diablo State Park

Waterfalls of Mount Diablo Loop is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,709 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: This hike has two starting points. This route follows the trail's alternative trailhead off of Mitchell Canyon Road. The main trailhead begins at the end of Regency Drive and Mountaire Parkway. Limited parking is available on Regency Drive. Winter and spring rains create scenic waterfalls in this hike at Mount Diablo, the East Bay's signature peak. While Mount Diablo State Park is best known for towering vistas from the mountain's twin East Bay summits, the seasonal rains that visit the San Francisco Bay Area every year create several scenic waterfalls in the mountain's rugged canyons.

fee

Parking is $6 unless you park in the neighborhood but adds another mile to the hike. bathrooms were fairly nice and they have a garden with markers at the visitor center. Want to come back in winter to actually see the waterfalls

Only worth hiking in the winter/spring when the hills are green and waterfalls are flowing. Otherwise it's just brown grass and the waterfalls are dry trickles.

Lots of ticks, be careful and make sure to check afterwards. Otherwise very pretty views and nice shady spots. Parking at regency drive it permit only, one spot down the road isn’t.

No waterfalls on this trail at this time of year but still a great hike. Plenty of ways to go wrong so definitely keep your GPS handy. Lots of elevation but beautiful views gorgeous wildflowers and really well-maintained trails.

I do not think this is a hard trail. I think it is more moderate. Beautiful flowers, waterfalls and creeks. So worth the time.

Lots of exposure so it wasn’t ideal for almost 100* heat. But on a cooler day it would be more enjoyable. The falls were just trickles on Memorial Day. We did find a shaded creekside spot tucked away off the trail where we could relax and cool off a bit. From this point on I would only recommend this trail in the very early morning or on a cloudy day. Minimal parking was found on the street on Regency

The City of Clayton has recently imposed new parking restrictions on Regency Drive

you can still take this Trail if you take the Regency Drive Entrance. This is pretty cool. you see a lot of small waterfalls, some of them are a little further away but definitely a place to go to if you are looking to hike after work or need to get away from society

We wanted to go the whole 11 miles... it’s too bad there isn’t one restroom or break area. Otherwise nice, challenging trail.

Not much water right now, some small cascades here and there. Tough but moderate ascent. Great views of the valley.

Beautiful day to hike! The weather was perfect! There were a few wildflowers starting to bloom; milkmaids, shooting Star, buttercups, Indian Warrior or also known as Indian paintbrush and Forget Me Not’s. The waterfalls has dried up but some water was seen in the stream. Lots and lots of beautiful Manzanita’s!

Beautiful day for a beautiful hike. Not much water falling but everything is green! Ladybugs I mean thousands of ladybugs.

I’m from the Los Angeles area and to be able to get up on a Saturday morning to hike this wonderful mountain was fantastic! Note, it rained the night before and it was very muddy and slippery so be careful. I managed to hike 8 miles and fell right at the very end of it. Seriously, I was about 30 feet from the parking lot lol

Great trail when there isn’t any rain, and includes equal amounts of uphill and downhill. Saw plenty of deer, ladybugs, rabbits. Perfect if you have 3+ hours on your hands!

parking fee is $6 & paid by putting cash in a small envelope & dropping into a box so bring exact change.

The trail was beautiful in these cooler conditions because the little creeks embedded in the back trail are lightly flowing and the greens in that area are super vibrant. The only downfall was some muddy parts on some of the more open trails, but that was expected. This is probably not advised but, I brought my dog and I noticed many mushrooms and other things that looked like they could be poisonous. Although they may not be poisonous, I would be very cautious your dog doesn’t eat along the trail, just to be safe!

We hiked this yesterday. Nice conditions. Trail slightly damp which helped with footing in the steep areas. Found lady bugs hibernating near one of the creek crossings which was really cool.

The trail conditions were mostly wet and some trails very muddy. I stayed on the main fire road trails due to the dense fog and less mud. I attempted to hike up Black Point trial but the fog got worse as I started my incline so I decided to head back down to be safer since not a soul was around but me. Then the rain started so today I shortened my hike. FYI: Mitchell trail is completely a mess with thick deep mud and I wouldn’t advise anyone to head that way. Still very nice hike, peaceful and quiet and only a couple of cyclists were around on the fire roads.

A beautiful day to hike, seizing the day before the prediction of rain soon! I started my hike at the Mitchell Canyon Staging Area, parking was $6 and the parking lot filled up fast. It was around a mile before getting on the Waterfall hike and the first mile the trail was very muddy. Thereafter, the trail conditions were good, dry enough that the mud didn’t stick to your boots. Even though the wildflowers are done for the season, the mountain still was stunning with a lot of oak woodland, open grassland with extensive areas of chaparral, various pines such as; foothill pine, knobcone pine and coulter pine, and abundance of endemic plant species. The trail accompanied hikers, cyclists and equestrian riders. Unfortunately, the tarantulas are done mating for the season (August-October) and I wished I had been around to see this. Apparently, the male tarantula fully matures into adulthood between 8-10 yrs old. Once an adult, this cold blooded arachnid with its eight long furry legs, will go on a quest to find a mate. Once the male mates with a female, sadly he will die within 6 months. Female tarantulas live up to 30-40 yrs! How many times a female can mate is unknown.

Amazing trail beautiful views through the valley, Lots of very steep parts. Make sure to wear shoes with good grip the descent has gravel parts that are easy to slip on. The total trail is actually 10.1 miles though there are plenty of shortcuts if you don’t want to do the whole thing. Definitely in my top 5 hikes in the Bay Area.

It was great and challenging for kids, but they were happy and proud. The view is amazing and having lunch on top is miracle. I wish the waterfall could be active, but...be almost alone on trail at this period is magical.

I love that mt diablo doesn't allow dogs. They are a nuisance