Watchtower Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,679 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This peak is not marked because technically the trail continues on to a lake. So if you’re not careful, you “miss” the peak. However, you won’t miss the stunning view!

Watchtower was definitely more enjoyable route for me than the Hump trail to get to the lakes. The view is great once you get up there!

Great easy-moderate hike for altitude training. Lots of shade, great views. Saw a bear close by but it walked away after it saw our group. We went on 8/3/19 and there were some mosquitos, we used natural bug repellent and they left us alone. Took us 4 hours at an average pace with a few breaks in between.

beautiful trail! recommend for the payoff view at the end. even cooler if you like the lower Tokopah Falls trail the day before.

I’ve done this hike many time since I was a teen. And I’m reminded every time of how bad my cardio is lol. It’s challenges are out weighed by her beautiful views. This can be done as a day hike no problem! Train and enjoy

Tue Oct 30 2018

We saw a sign near the Wolverton lot that read that the trail was closed due to icy conditions. So we went on The Hump trail to Heather Lake. Another couple on the trail said they came up Watchtower and it was open—so we came back that way. Gorgeous both ways! A little precarious on the Watchtower trail, but the view is unbeatable. An exhausting hike that went about 9miles(half of it uphill) and took us almost 6hours. It was an incredible hike! I’d rate it as very challenging.

Mon Oct 15 2018

I randomly chose this trail because the trail I was wanting to do was a bit farther out. I’m really happy to have done this one. Not difficult at all. The view up top is breathtaking and would recommend to everyone.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great day hike! My Garmin did read 8 miles and not the 6.6 in the description. Definitely worth the extra though. We came to escape the heat of the valley in June and was able to enjoy the meadows, streams, and the lookout at the 4 mile marker. The trail was well maintained and direction markers easy to understand. Bugs were not a problem as we used repellent before starting. We did encounter a bear, but it was a ways away off the trail as we came through. Views were spectacular and overall a great hike!

Thu Jun 07 2018

Nice view! As of late May, the trail was closed due to snow and ice. Doable, but you have to know what you are doing... Also, it's worth going a bit further to the lake

Mon May 14 2018

Hiked this trail again this past weekend and my Apple Watch showed this hike to be approx 8.5 miles round trip. A bit of snow patches in several spots as we hiked. Gorgeous views at the watchtower. Can’t get to pear lake from the watchtower trail but if you’re going to the lakes, take the hump trail. We talked to some nice fellow hikers and found out you can get to heather lake from there. On our way back we spotted a bear near the trailhead so just a heads up, they’re out and about. Definitely worth the beautiful hike!

Mon May 14 2018

May 13, 2018, trail marked as “Closed”, we continued anyway, some snow but not enough to slow us down. Definitely worth the hike, great views at the Watchtower!

Fri Jan 19 2018

Did this trail last weekend. I only went up to watchtower. Beautiful views. Lots of snow at the watch point so be careful. Bring layers and be prepared for snow. My feet got wet from the snow. Saw fresh bear tracks so they’re out and about.

Wed Dec 13 2017

Did this trail last weekend. Notice! This trail does not go through to the Lakes area during the winter. Incredible view!!

Sun Oct 28 2018