Warren Lake Trail

Warren Lake Trail is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Truckee, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Truckee: Travel west on Hwy. #80 and take the Castle Peak/Boreal Ridge Road exit, which is immediately west of the highway's Donner Summit Roadside Rest Area. On the south side of the highway there is a sign reading: Tahoe National Forest Trailhead Donner Summit Pacific Crest Trail. Follow the directions on the sign turning east for 0.4 miles to the trailhead.

It was gorgeous but one of the hardest hikes I've done. Especially the scramble down through rocks 1000 feet in one mile to get to the lake. The wildflowers are incredible though and the lake is beautiful!

One of our favorite Tahoe area hikes! We did the out-and-back to Warren Lake and think it ended up being ~16 miles (would have been more like 17.5 if we did the loop). Really fun trail that was interesting the whole way- challenging uphills dispersed throughout and awesome change in scenery/flora over every ridge. Felt more like an exploratory adventure than your typical up-and-back/peak trail. We're in pretty darn good shape and was definitely a great workout for a day hike. Started at 9am and took about 5.5 hours. Loved it!

Once you reached the first major elevation change there was some snow but nothing to worry about. However the run off from the snow made some of the trail hard to find. Some of the trail was literally a creek you had to walk thru. The views are beautiful. Tough hike for anybody. If you go all the way down to warren lake it's really rocky (loose) and steep and narrow in some parts. There are camping sights around the bottom. We were to tired to venture farther for a better campsite and it started to rain on us so we chose camp right where the trail let out. Bushes completely cover the view of the lake but there are paths you can walk on to get to the water. There are mosquitos but it wasn't horrible. We had insect repellant that comes in a yellow spray can that is specifically mosquitos and I didn't get bit at all. (They usually love me) We also took our 2 yellow labs and they did just fine.

Incredible views! I only made it to Warren Lake before heading back. I'd highly recommend not to attempt to do this hike in one day because you will be absolutely exhausted. I'm pretty fit and I barely made it out. Took me 10 hours to get to the lake and back. The uphill and downhill parts make it extremely difficult. There was still a lot of snow as of 7.23.17. Makes it difficult to stay on Trail but doable if you can make your way around. Beware if you expect an easy one day hike. It will kick your ass. Also mosquitoes are annoying.

This is a spectacular hike. Be aware that as of 7/8/17, beginning at the bowl below Castle Peak, the trail is almost entirely covered with snow. We went as far as below Basin Peak and thought it best not to venture all the way down to the lake in the snow.

The wildflower along PCT, Paradise and Warren Lakes are incredibly beautiful.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Real nice day hike. Right at 17 miles from rest area to Lake shore and back.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Cool

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great hike. Beautiful views. Watch out for the mosquitos!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great! We started on the trail on the right side -I will get the exact name - lots of cool flowers and rocks. Little streams and shade until you hit the cut off to the right that over looks frog lake. That view was amazing. We tried to go to the left down to Warren Lake bit way to much snow to maneuver around and we didn't have the proper equipment to go that far or that Steve wants to know. So we're going to try again on overnight

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

A lot of snow. Good uphill first half. Great views at the top . Lake was frozen :)

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Beautiful!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Started at the PCT Trailhead just to the east of Boreal Mountain Ski Resort. Great moderate hike. We started a little later in the day than we wanted to but got back to my truck just before flashlights would be necessary to see our way. Make sure you are watching your map and posted signs. Lots of 3 and 4 way junctions of trails and you just need to watch yourself to make sure you stay on the Warren Lake Trail.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Monday, June 15, 2015

We went June 13-14 and the trail is mostly clear of snow except in a few spots. There are some pretty muddy sections. Warren Lake was surprisingly warm to swim in, but the mosquitoes were fierce! The wildflowers are beautiful and diverse this time of year.
This would be a tough hike for one day and I recommend it as an overnight so you can relax by the lake and not have to climb the steep hill out.
Our distances were about 8 miles each way, according to my GPS.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Warren Lake, Paradise Lake and Devils Oven are among the best when it comes to high alpine lakes. My Dad, brothers and I have each been countless times, spending 2-5 nights each time. We fish, climb, slackline, swim and day hike to fill time on each journey. On the hike in there is a lot of loose rock leading up to castle peak but nothing too difficult. Crossing the ridge is simple and breathtaking, always terribly windy though. Finding where the trails drops off the ridge onto the backside can be a bit tricky, but if you stick to the far left you'll be fine. The weather can change up in a matter of minutes up on the ridge, from sunny and calm to 100pmh+ gusts and hail. Trust me- I have experienced this twice.

Over all a wonderful hike though, great campsites all around the lakes, rocks to jump off of, clear water, what more can you ask for?