Wapama Falls Trail

Wapama Falls Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Long Barn, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 954 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Turn North for CA 120 onto Evergreen Road This junction is located 1.1 miles west of the Yosemite entrance station at Big Oak Flat and 22. 5 miles east of Groveland. Note the Hetch Hetchy day-use hours to avoid getting locked behind closed gates 15 minutes down the the road. $30 Park Fee to Enter.

trail is well maintained with fresh signs of maintenance.

recorded Wapama Falls Trail

Awesome hike! My wife and I made this happen in April. Waterfalls were overflowing due to heavy snowfall this last winter. Easy 1.5-2 hour hike to the falls. Definitely do this!!!

This hike offers a great view of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir the whole way up to Wopama Falls... this time of year the flow is minimal but still manages to cascade down the 1000ft to the bridges...hiked past to Hetch Hetchy Dome base and continued on to within about a mile of Rancheria Creek...good balance of elevation and downhill hiking...got in around 1130 and got back to the car at 430...felt just like being in the Alpine Valleys with the sheer rock walls reaching right down into the water and while the damn was a cool bit of engineering to walk over...I can only imagine what Muir must have seen before the valley was flooded.

This trail was great for views of Hetch Hetchy and Wapama Falls! So worth the drive! There was a bear siting while I was there, so I’d keep an eye out. Also, know that there is little to no shade on this trail, so being extra water and go earlier in the day to avoid that afternoon sun.

Beautiful views and well marked trail. Limited shade and rocky parts, but overall great trip!

This trail was beautiful however, we did see a black bear and a snake. But the views were definitely worth it

A beautiful hike along the reservoir to the falls. Wear a hat and bring water!

Such a nice change from Yosemite Valley. Much less crowded, and the hike was beautiful. Definitely worth the drive to check it out!

Great hike, go early because there is very little shade! The waterfall was still very misty a couple days ago and felt great after the hike. Going back there is a lot of up hill. Way less traffic than Yosemite, parking and accessing the trail was very easy as well.

The hike is fairly simple and definitely worth the effort. We also saw far less traffic than when we did Mist Trail/Vernal/Nevada Falls. Worth checking out!

Great hike, hot, no shade but beautiful and the falls were amazing and exciting if you crossed the bridge. Expect to get soaked to the bone this year! Very cold I loved the experience!

Really nice trail with beautiful falls. It is an hour and half drive past Yosemite Valley, so plan that ahead. During the summer, it’s really (really) hot so try to come earlier in the day and bring lots of water. Is doable for all types of hikers, but yes, it was extremely hot. Other than the heat, I enjoyed this hike very much.

6/14/19 Trail was populated and not difficult at all. Gorgeous views

Hetch Hetchy is nice but it's still a reservoir and a much farther drive than to the Yosemite Valley and just one trail! I just wanted to check it out but I probably won't go back I'll stick to the rest of Yosemite! Got there at 7 a.m. to start the trail early and make it to Rancheria falls but they opened until 10 a.m. so I had to wait and I did a small trail to Tuolumne Grove in the meantime. By the time Hetch Hetchy opened and we got to the trail it was past 11 a.m. really hot and no shade so we only went a mile past Wapama falls. The trail was really hot with no trees and mostly just a view of the reservoir. The highlight was Wapama fall it was super strong and we got completely soaked especially when we crossed the bridges to the other side. No one else crossed the bridges, everyone was scared. We kept meeting groups of people we passed along the way to the falls and everyone just made it to the falls. When we headed back we saw a couple that dared enough to cross the bridges too! It was dangerous to some extent but doable.

Hetch Hetchy is absolutely beautiful right now! The wildflowers are in full bloom, lots of bees and butterflies flying around. Beautiful views of Kolana rock, Hetch Hetchy dome, the dam, and very full and fast flowing falls. The falls are dangerous right now! I would give it a few weeks before attempting to go beyond Wapama Falls. A person went missing very recently (6/7-6/9-ish) after apparently being swept away at wapama bridge. Just because the bridge may be open doesn’t mean you should attempt to cross it. Use common sense. I hiked this 6/12 and we saw a sizable bear right at the beginning of the trail as you’re coming out of the dam tunnel. It wasn’t startled by the 15-20 people already on the trail; it continued to attempt to approach, so be extra cautious if you’re hiking this alone or in a small group.

bridge out

Unfortunately, due to the extreme snow melt, the footbridge at the base of Wapoma Falls was impassable due to high waters and there was no opportunity to move forward on to Rancheria Falls. The trail was beautiful though, and feeling a bit cheated on mileage, I decided to reroute and head up to Bee Hive where i came to a fork after 2 miles. Once at the fork, I decided to head back down to the dam and head back to camp.

Hiked on 6/7 - Trail is quite rocky with areas where you’ll have to cross through water to continue. Use caution as snow melt is creating rapid moving water streams. Lots of poison oak on the sides of the trail. Beautiful views.