Wapama Falls Trail

Wapama Falls Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Long Barn, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

bridge out

Turn North for CA 120 onto Evergreen Road This junction is located 1.1 miles west of the Yosemite entrance station at Big Oak Flat and 22. 5 miles east of Groveland. Note the Hetch Hetchy day-use hours to avoid getting locked behind closed gates 15 minutes down the the road. $30 Park Fee to Enter.

it was awesome great views not to hot. saw a bob cat my 6 year old and 4 year old loved it.

Great trail. Lots of poison oak but the view from the falls was spectacular. Get there early to beat the crowds.......

Hiked June 9, 2018. Got a late start for a variety of reasons so didn't get to the trailhead until 11am, just before a respectable crowd of day hikers. The backpacker and day parking areas were both quite full. The hike was made magical by a large influx of butterflies swooping among the many different wildflowers on the trail. Wapama Falls is still soaking the bridges (though not running over in a dangerous way) so yes you will get refreshingly wet - but this is really the most intimate encounter I had with a waterfall at Yosemite and definitely a more fun hike than I had assumed from the lukewarm write-ups. The butterflies made it a magical day to end our Yosemite trip

Really pretty. Dozens of butterflies hanging out on the trail

Great trail but be aware of bears and rattlesnakes we saw both and we had two kids with us. It was a long hike for them and really hot...not crowded and one of the most beautifully hikes I’ve done. I would say this was moderate, it certainly wasn’t easy and I think the weather makes it feel a lot tougher. My kids made it but barely and we hike a lot. Be prepared and have lots of water with you. It’s a long hike.

Great moderate/easy hike with an incredible waterfall at the end. Worth it!

Full flowing waterfalls with bridges at the base at the time of writing this. 5/19/18. Get soaked running across bridges but so refreshing during a hike. Best hike to date for me.

Awesome hike. The falls are beautiful.

Awesome hike, Wapama Fall are worth the trip.

Amazing place! No crowds, flowing waterfalls, blooming flowers and gorgeous spring weather!

Amazing place. Totally recommend. Be careful I saw a bear on this trail. Fee 30$ per car for 7 days

Great hike with terrific views. This trail is well traveled but not overly crowded. There is not a lot of shade so take sunscreen and a hat. We hiked on April 28th and the falls were flowing. We got soaked.
I would say this trail is between easy and moderate. Lots of rocky areas and a some hills in the beginning.

Hiked this trail on 4/28/18. It was amazing! Stunning views the entire trail! Loved getting splashed (probably more like showered) by the waterfall! I would say it's easy to moderate. It wasn't crowded at all and the weather was great. It's definitely a hike you have to do once in your lifetime. Easily became one of my favorites!

did this last summer great trail,I would rate it as moderate bring lots of water great way to beat the crowds of summer and when the falls in Yosemite valley are at a trickle these are still gushing beutiful scenery

Great trail that has some built in stairs done by Cal. Conservation Corps. Be careful for lose rocks in certain areas.

Still no snow or ice as of 1/2/2018

The trail and views were spectacular! The trail starts out mostly uphill but then after the turn to go to the falls (less than a mile in) it’s pretty flat. There are lots of rocks to navigate, but we still did it in about 2.5 hours at a steady pace and stopping to eat lunch by the falls. We just went today, 12-19-17, and it was perfect! Fortunately, we got it in before the snow! Can’t wait to do it again but I will only go on cooler days as there is not much shade.

easy to moderate, Wapama falls was awesome.

Giving this a 3 because of a few reasons. One it is not an "easy" hike especially if you're not used to 90 and up degree weather. It was also very very smoky this day. It's very rocky and you are mostly exposed to the sun the entire hike trying to find shade is hard as it is scarce. I hiked this on 8-23-17 at 11 am. The parking lot wasn't full and there was not many people on the trail as I was alone for most of my hike. The only falls still flowing were Wapama and the other falls were dried up. The falls were very beautiful however "cooling off" as I had sort of expected and one of the reasons I pushed myself to keep going was actually not really possible as there is still no shade at the falls and you can't really touch or get into the waters as there are barriers. And finally if you do not have a lot of time to spend in Yosemite I think you should skip this. So all in all pretty area but skip it if you don't have a lot of time or hit it on the way out of the park if you are headed that way anyways.

This hike should be classified as moderate because most of the trail is uphill and the trail is uneven and filled with lots of uneven stones. The end is great with multiple waterfalls but it is definitely not easy.

Beautiful hike but the second bridge was closed and we couldn't take our dog...

My new favorite hike! For only three hours round trip, a variety of views: the torrent of discharge from the dam into the Tuolumne River; a panoramic view of the Tueeulala and Wapama falls with fjord like cliffs; water coursing over the trail under both falls, with the bridge at Wapama closed because it was too dangerous. Bear sighting as well near Wapama...be careful about eating lunch at the falls! Just get there early to avoid parking problems.

Not a bad trail to get engaged on. Try it.

Monday, June 19, 2017

The power of the water was awesome, and on a hot day was very refreshing. Easy trail

Monday, June 19, 2017

Great trail at Hetch Hetchy. Not as crowded as the Valley, but you'll still have company. Get there as early as you can.
4.7 miles there & back. trail is smooth & easy in some places. Rocky & tricky in others. The falls were wonderful in May.
I'm always worried about the older folks who ask me how far the falls are at the beginning of the trail.

Monday, June 19, 2017

A must Go!!!! Great spot if u want to avoid the crowd at Yosemite valley. Make sure to bring great if u go, we got soaking wet cruising the bridge to wapama falls, Poncho didn't hold up good.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Fantastic hike for all ages. Falls were raging today so you really had to be careful if you wanted to cross the bridges at the 2nd Falls. Definitely worth the hike. Bring rain gear and a set of dry clothes and shoes to be on the safe side.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Fairly easy hike to the Wapama Falls, and worth the short hike in to get several good views of the Hetch Hetchy area.

If the sun is at the right angle and there is enough mist from the falls, you may see a rainbow or two as you approach the falls area.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We went yesterday and it was hot but beautiful. Not exactly the easiest of easy trails, as some parts of the terrain are rough and you have to cross through a flooded part of the trail (Tueeulala Falls is currently overrunning the trail) to get to Wapama, but definitely worth the soggy boots.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Gorgeous views from start to finish! I went 5/22/17 and there were butterflies and wildflowers all along the trail. Waterfalls are really full and the bridge past wapama falls is closed due to flooding.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

2017-05-19 - The view was simply beautiful. The hike is pretty easy, but there are some rocky areas so watch your step.

I really didn't want to leave the falls once I got there. Just beautiful. Worth the drive!