Wapama Falls Trail

Wapama Falls Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Long Barn, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

bridge out

Turn North for CA 120 onto Evergreen Road This junction is located 1.1 miles west of the Yosemite entrance station at Big Oak Flat and 22. 5 miles east of Groveland. Note the Hetch Hetchy day-use hours to avoid getting locked behind closed gates 15 minutes down the the road. $30 Park Fee to Enter.

did this last summer great trail,I would rate it as moderate bring lots of water great way to beat the crowds of summer and when the falls in Yosemite valley are at a trickle these are still gushing beutiful scenery

Great trail that has some built in stairs done by Cal. Conservation Corps. Be careful for lose rocks in certain areas.

Still no snow or ice as of 1/2/2018

The trail and views were spectacular! The trail starts out mostly uphill but then after the turn to go to the falls (less than a mile in) it’s pretty flat. There are lots of rocks to navigate, but we still did it in about 2.5 hours at a steady pace and stopping to eat lunch by the falls. We just went today, 12-19-17, and it was perfect! Fortunately, we got it in before the snow! Can’t wait to do it again but I will only go on cooler days as there is not much shade.

easy to moderate, Wapama falls was awesome.

Giving this a 3 because of a few reasons. One it is not an "easy" hike especially if you're not used to 90 and up degree weather. It was also very very smoky this day. It's very rocky and you are mostly exposed to the sun the entire hike trying to find shade is hard as it is scarce. I hiked this on 8-23-17 at 11 am. The parking lot wasn't full and there was not many people on the trail as I was alone for most of my hike. The only falls still flowing were Wapama and the other falls were dried up. The falls were very beautiful however "cooling off" as I had sort of expected and one of the reasons I pushed myself to keep going was actually not really possible as there is still no shade at the falls and you can't really touch or get into the waters as there are barriers. And finally if you do not have a lot of time to spend in Yosemite I think you should skip this. So all in all pretty area but skip it if you don't have a lot of time or hit it on the way out of the park if you are headed that way anyways.

This hike should be classified as moderate because most of the trail is uphill and the trail is uneven and filled with lots of uneven stones. The end is great with multiple waterfalls but it is definitely not easy.

Beautiful hike but the second bridge was closed and we couldn't take our dog...

My new favorite hike! For only three hours round trip, a variety of views: the torrent of discharge from the dam into the Tuolumne River; a panoramic view of the Tueeulala and Wapama falls with fjord like cliffs; water coursing over the trail under both falls, with the bridge at Wapama closed because it was too dangerous. Bear sighting as well near Wapama...be careful about eating lunch at the falls! Just get there early to avoid parking problems.

Not a bad trail to get engaged on. Try it.

The power of the water was awesome, and on a hot day was very refreshing. Easy trail

Great trail at Hetch Hetchy. Not as crowded as the Valley, but you'll still have company. Get there as early as you can.
4.7 miles there & back. trail is smooth & easy in some places. Rocky & tricky in others. The falls were wonderful in May.
I'm always worried about the older folks who ask me how far the falls are at the beginning of the trail.

A must Go!!!! Great spot if u want to avoid the crowd at Yosemite valley. Make sure to bring great if u go, we got soaking wet cruising the bridge to wapama falls, Poncho didn't hold up good.

Fantastic hike for all ages. Falls were raging today so you really had to be careful if you wanted to cross the bridges at the 2nd Falls. Definitely worth the hike. Bring rain gear and a set of dry clothes and shoes to be on the safe side.

Fairly easy hike to the Wapama Falls, and worth the short hike in to get several good views of the Hetch Hetchy area.

If the sun is at the right angle and there is enough mist from the falls, you may see a rainbow or two as you approach the falls area.

We went yesterday and it was hot but beautiful. Not exactly the easiest of easy trails, as some parts of the terrain are rough and you have to cross through a flooded part of the trail (Tueeulala Falls is currently overrunning the trail) to get to Wapama, but definitely worth the soggy boots.

Gorgeous views from start to finish! I went 5/22/17 and there were butterflies and wildflowers all along the trail. Waterfalls are really full and the bridge past wapama falls is closed due to flooding.

2017-05-19 - The view was simply beautiful. The hike is pretty easy, but there are some rocky areas so watch your step.

I really didn't want to leave the falls once I got there. Just beautiful. Worth the drive!

What a spectacular trail! The wildflowers are everywhere right now. An easy rewarding hike for any age/ability.
We packed in our lunch and ate at the base of the bridge.
We saw a king snake and a bear cub along the way as well.
I will be going back for sure!

For those who would love to see multiple gushing water falls! Amazing and fun trail.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016