Volcan Mountain Trail

Volcan Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,227 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

steady incline. views at top are great. would suggest taking side path on the way down to keep it interesting. bugs were bad, wouldn't go back without bug spray or something similar.

First time on this trail and I really enjoyed it. Besides the bugs who love to buzz your face it was a great hike. Not too tough and offers a cut out trail to add a little more distance. Beautiful views. Highly recommend treating yourself to some awesome pie in Julian afterwards.

I did this as my first solo hike and it was everything i wanted! It was a little tough mentally for the first mile and the amount of gnats made me feel like i was in purgatory but once i was closer to the summit they disappeared. The views were absolutely gorgeous and I saw a good amount of wildlife, I even had three deer cross in front of me.

We gave up after a mile. Too many bugs!!!

Loved this moderate hike with so much diversity of landscape and views! Beautiful afternoon with crazy wind at the top that kept it cool and adventurous. Recommend for sure! Uphill and a decent workout going in and easy coming out with some slopes. It’s fun.

Love this hike one of my favorites. Saw a rattler on the way down. Great breeze on the top.

I've hiked this trail at least half a dozen times and usually really enjoy it. However, today 8/17, the bugs were so bad that I turned back after about a mile. I was constantly trying to keep them away from my face. So, for anyone planning on doing this hike in the near future, a mosquito net wouldn't be a bad idea.

I’ve hiked Volcan mountain about 8 times in my life thus far, and each time has been beautiful. The fire road path is pretty steep, but the five oaks trail is a very scenic alternative. During the spring there are lots of wildflowers at the summit, and depending on how early in the year you go, there can be snow as well.

We hiked it yesterday. 83° and sunny starting out. Had a good breeze, which was very helpful. LOTS of bugs, so bring repellent or a net to wear. Descended on the 5 Oaks trail. It was ok, but narrow and couldn't hike side by side. Will be back in the fall or in the snow. Great views at the top.

Hot and a fair amount of bugs. Beautiful views!

We took the side Five Oak Trail on the way up and I think it was the more scenic way to go rather than the straight up hill climb of the first part of Vulcan Mt trail. Half way up the Five Oak Trail there is a bench under a tree with a nice view. Once the Five Oak Trail ends, it runs into the main trail, just hang right and continue to the top. There are 2 picnic table about 3/4 of the way up of the main trail, but they are not in the shade. The other picnic table is under a tree at the top (on the loop). To the right of that picnic table there is a small path to the memorial bench, which is under a gorgeous tree and has a great view. Nice trail with very little people even on a holiday weekend. Very clean.

This was my first time on the trail, I went with friends who knew it well. We hiked the five oaks trail up and came back on the fire road, good choice. We had a good workout and saw some great views.

Pretty much a straight up climb for the first mile and a half. you’ll get a leg workout for sure. After that it’s pretty easy. Awesome views at the top

Nice...

Great little moderate hike. First half all uphill but great views not much shade

Great hike! Didn’t expect the incline to last as long as it did, but it was a great hike.

Great trail! Up hill the first part and down hill the second. Took my Jack Russel/Chihuahua and he did awesome. 20° difference front top to bottom when we went in March 2019 at about 10am.

My boyfriend and I were visiting San Diego and wanted to come out to Julian for pie. This hike was AWESOME and we 10/10 recommend it. Such a good view and lots of beauty.

About as beautiful as a hike can get. Please keep it that way people

Love this hike although I’m surprised it’s considered moderate. If you use the main fire road trail all the way up it’s pretty intense. My favorite is to branch off and take the Five Oaks Trail. Super dog-friendly hike with phenomenal views.

I hiked this trail the day after a snow storm and although it was challenging hiking in the snow the views from the peak were well worth it!

Nice hike doable as partial loop. Significant tree cutting this spring by the looks of it. Misty when I did it but nice views promised.