Volcan Mountain Trail

Volcan Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

I just had a GREAT experience on this trail. Easy to find, beautiful views, few people out. The best part was the Julian Blues festival in the valley below. Such a treat for this hike. You are super exposed on the first part of the hike so I was really struggling with the heat and the incline is steep. Other than that it was great. I'll be back on a cooler day.

A friend and I thoroughly enjoyed this hike. There's a moderate incline on the way up that provides some good cardio but nothing too strenuous. The trail is wide and in good condition. Views along the way and at the top are beautiful. Will definitely plan to hike this one again.

My first hike in San Diego! It did not dissappoint! Fun day of adventure with my gyspy friends! Blake, David and Debbie!

Starts out kinda boring as you walk the first part on the fire road . Once you branch out on the Five Oaks trial it gets really nice . The hike up will work your legs but well worth the effort . Lots of big trees flowers and views . You can see well beyond The Salton Sea . It will be winding ( maybe cold ) at the top and watch for snakes as we came a little to close to a Green Mojave on the Summit . Coming back down you can take the fire road but I would recommend going back on The 5 Oaks trial . The fire road is steep rocky and not much to see .

It was a beautiful and pleasant hike. It started off with a steady continuous upward slope, just enough to keep your heart rate going but not too difficult to the point where you need a break. It has lots of shades, plenty of trees, and you get to see a beautiful scenery once you've reached summit

It turned out to be such a beautiful day, which made this hike even better! Only saw a handful of people on the trail, but pretty much had it to ourselves. Parked on the road, you walk up a pebble drive past someone's peaceful home which was picturesque itself and you could smell there roses from the distance. The whole hike starting at the beginning by walking through the caved entrance is like walking into a fairytale story. Even with a Redwood forest. We really enjoyed this hike, and along the way a few benches, one dedicated to someone's loved one, with views to enjoy and get your breath back.

Post says "No Dogs", but other sites I've read said dog friendly. Can anybody confirm? I'd like to take a hike up there this weekend, but, I'd like to bring my dog.

We went on a blustery day and the views were amazing. It reminded me of being home in Scotland with the clouds blowing through the trees and getting glimpses of the valley below through cloud breaks. Definitely take the Five Oaks Trail. It is much more scenic than the standard fire road that the main trail is. We didn't make it all the way to the top as you were hiking through the clouds to get there but we will definitely be going back. I highly recommend.

relatively easy hike. Def take the side trail up and dirt road back. Not super secluded from civilization but views are nice.