Volcan Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

The trail is wide and well maintained, would be a good one to bring the pups. Nice views at the top of the summit

Beautiful hike with a moderate amount of steep sections

great hikers and viewers.

Really great hike in Julian with beautiful fields. Also a great one for dog lovers!

This was a great trail: clearly marked, well-maintained, and provided a diversity of landscapes, vegetation, and wildlife.

East to get to, great views, and more shade than I had expected. However, there were a lot of flies and gnats flying into my face than I preferred. I've done this hike twice and the experience was the same both times.

What a great hike! I took 5 Oaks up and the road trail back down. I LOVED the views from 5 Oaks, and all the shade. I was super slow on the ascent because I was taking so many pics. It was very windy once I was about a mile from the summit - it felt great!! If you’re not hiking with dogs I would definitely recommend doing the 5 Oaks trail, at least on the way up (dogs aren’t allowed on the 5 Oaks trail). The other path was pretty steep and seemed to never end, but was fine for the descent. Some people I met while on their way up that trail were pretty winded. I would definitely do this one again.

Nice and more shade then you would expect.

One of my favorites! If you go right after the last snowfall you manage to see two seasons. Beautiful!

Quiet. Very nice hike. Enjoyed the flowers. Saw a deer and wild turkeys. Took 5 oaks trail up and stayed straight coming down.

Beautiful easy going hike ideal for families or beginners - but the incredible views make it worthwhile for everyone. I went up the 5 Oaks trail and came down the regular one - worth taking the 5 Oaks for the extra views along the way.

Great hike. A favorite for sure. Did the regular trail with my 10 year old. Fantastic views throughout and phenomenal from the top.

Fantastic hike with fantastic views at the top

very easy walking ...very scenic.

good distance, beautiful hike

This is a great hike. Going up through the 5 oak trail on the way up is the best. Great views from there too plus it is covered most of the time. You get to see both sides of San Diego mountain peaks. Very comfortable hike. A must see hike for sure.

Had a great time hiking Volcan mountain today, the grade is pretty steep but some well placed tree canopy’s provide some shaded patches through out. Highly recommend, the view from the top is well worth it

Took 5 oak trail to summit. Good hike and good views. multiple outlook points at summit and during hike!

check out instagram.com/gregszymbor for photos and more hikes

Amazing view! I’d recommend taking the Five Oak Trail which makes the hike a little longer but there are more beautiful views that way

Beautiful views

Closer to 5.2 miles if you take the five oaks trail on the way back. Elevation gain is significant but there are shady spots to rest and the views at the top are worth it!

Amazing views! Love this trail!

Beautiful and peaceful views. I wish I brought a book to read at the bench at the top!

nice hike close to Julian. great views from up there.

It is end of February and my dog and I loved this wide and well maintained trail. First time my dog saw and got to play in the snow. It was windy and cold at the top. Beautiful views all the way to the ocean on one side and the desert on the other.

Such a beautiful hike and some amazing views from the top!

Great trail but can get very windy at the top! Take five oaks trail on your way down. Fun trail! Amazing views. Worth it!

Good quick hike! Great views on a clear day from the top!

Beautiful view and lovely nature.

Great short hike with excellent views at the top.