Volcan Mountain Trail

Volcan Mountain Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Volcan Mountain Trail is located near the old mining town of Julian. The trail follows an old road to the summit and this pleasant day hike provides excellent vistas.

Such a beautiful hike and some amazing views from the top!

Great trail but can get very windy at the top! Take five oaks trail on your way down. Fun trail! Amazing views. Worth it!

Good quick hike! Great views on a clear day from the top!

Beautiful view and lovely nature.

Great short hike with excellent views at the top.

Lovely trail with great views. The uphill climb is no joke - I found this to be pretty strenuous but maybe I’m just out of shape... lots of shady places to rest, thankfully. Bring your own water and bags for your dog if you have one. Water/bags not provided at trailhead.

I'm not an avid hiker although I enjoy it very much (I need to make time for more of it. 2018 goal!). I would've considered this moderately strenuous though. The uphill trek was rocky and steeper at some areas than expected. highly recommend a walking stick and sturdy hiking shoes.

The view was beautiful! the marine layer was covering the ocean, but the perspective of seeing many mountains in SD County is breathtaking.

Easy trail. Weather was cold and crisp.

Stunning views from the top, you can see all the way to the ocean and Catalina island west and the Salton Sea east. the Five Oaks trail is a nice little extra on the way back down, giving a very different hiking experience and scenery than the main trail.

Beautiful trail, very scenic. We hiked to the telescope. The views are amazing!

love this trail! spectacular views, wide trail, amazing!

I love this trail first thing in the morning. We started at 7 am , we saw the moon set and the sun rise , we saw 4 dear, it got really foggy then cleared up at the top.... just amazing!

Nice hike. Really nice views and well maintained. Great for a quick family hike.

The trail has wide road(for maintenance cars) and lots of shades. I think it’s a good trail for a group. There is a trail, naming Five Oaks Trail in parallel. We took the main trail pass on the way to peak and tried Five Oaks on way back. The trail of Five Oak is much narrow and steep. It’s totally different from the main trail for the view, so it’s good that we can try two kinds of trails at once. If you aren’t confident in your physical strength, I think you should choose to keep the main trail for hill climb, not Five Oaks trail.

Steady climb with decent shade and lots of interesting flora. Perfect temperature for a midday hike.

I started this hike half way though because we started hiking from the Five Oaks Trail which was really nice. once we started on this it waa really easy and nice to walk all the way to the top. Great views and my 2 year old loved walking back down from the viewpoint.

I hike this out and back trail every time I go to Julian. It is steady uphill climb to top. All downhill on the way back to start. Nice views towards the ocean and desert the other direction. Probably 2/3 is under tree cover. Trail is well maintained. A pleasant hike.

started around 9 and finished around 12 or so. Really enjoyed the summit but flies and gnats were kinda driving my son and I buggy. Very interesting history along the trail. I would do this one again. the gate at the entrance was cool. Really enjoyed sitting at the bench a relaxing for bit.

Me and my 6 year old son did this hike. The view at the top was awesome. The hike was very easy to navigate, nothing crazy.

This is probably a pretty good hike, however, I tried to start at 1:30pm and it was way too hot to continue. I know... that's too late to start, but I decided to give it a go. It's pretty steep, and not many flat areas. I'll do it again but in the Fall or early AM.