Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio Peak

Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio Peak is a 17.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forest Falls, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

San Gorgonio is the tallest mountain in Southern California, and a right of passage for serious hikers in the area. At 11,503', "Old Grayback" provides an excellent high altitude training for those preparing to summit Mt. Whitney, and only 90 minutes away from Orange County. There are several trails leading up to San Gorgonio, but none as steep as the Vivian Creek trail, which in less than eight miles to the summit climbs over a vertical mile. One and two-tenths miles from the trailhead is Vivian Creek Camp (7,100'). Campsites are located upslope to the right of the trail after reaching the stream: one is halfway up the slope, and the other is at the top of the slope (no camping within 200 feet of the trail or creek). One and three-tenths miles from Vivian Creek Camp is Halfway Camp (8,100'). Water is obtained from the creek 200 yards before camp. Two and three-tenths miles further is High Creek Camp (water available - 9,200'). The summit of San Gorgonio (11,499') is 3 miles beyond High Creek. The upper end of this trail offers outstanding views of Yucaipa Ridge and Galena Peak, as well as sweeping panoramic views from the top of Mt. San Gorgonio. After the South Fork Trail, this is the second most used trail in the Wilderness.

30 minutes ago

Had a late start, about 0930 approx.. I only made it to the junction of Half way camp and Vivian creek trail due to the person i brought wasn't conditioned for such an adventure. Still a great trek. Lots of beautiful views within just the first mile or so. The first mile really isn't that bad if you have decent endurance level. Keep in mind i carried only about 15 lbs in my pack. If you're going to bring a partner or group, I highly recommend them being in shape so they do not ruin or halt your Plans!

Nice hike that oscillates between easygoing scenic wooded strolls and vertical treks up dusty switchbacks. The peak is a bit underwhelming and the lookout 2/3 the way up is better in my opinion.
I prefer the Cactus to Cloud hike up Mount San Jacinto next door.

It was one of the best hikes I have done in Southern California so far. I highly recommend it to anyone considering this adventure.

Enjoyed this trail and High Creek Camp!

Did this hike Oct. 8. that was 3 weeks ago. The trails were easy to follow and well maintained. It was a tough inclining. 1.5 miles before getting to the top. I got sick from elevation (I was sick and elevation added to my sickness. So, a little advice don't go farther if you are feeling the sickness. It was a bad decision because I was about to collapse if I didn't get to take a 20mins nap). I gave up already but my friend pushed me to keep going. We hiked a little farther until we see the San Gorgonio peak about .3miles away and that's when I took a 20mins nap. That made me feel better and continue the hike all the way to the peak and back down.

Overall, it was a great experienced. As I said, trails were well maintained and easy to follow. Also, its more than 18 miles. We hiked the trails in a day from morning to night.

I will try to hike San Gorgonio Peak again next year.

I really enjoyed this hike! The trail is hard during the 1st mile and the last 2 miles! 4.30 hours to reach the summit, 3 hours to come back and 30 min at the top enjoying the awesome view. I am thinking now to do it with snowshoes ❄️