Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio Peak [CLOSED]

Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio Peak [CLOSED] is a 17.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forest Falls, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Closed due to valley fire San Gorgonio is the tallest mountain in Southern California, and a right of passage for serious hikers in the area. At 11,503', "Old Grayback" provides an excellent high altitude training for those preparing to summit Mt. Whitney, and only 90 minutes away from Orange County. There are several trails leading up to San Gorgonio, but none as steep as the Vivian Creek trail, which in less than eight miles to the summit climbs over a vertical mile. One and two-tenths miles from the trailhead is Vivian Creek Camp (7,100'). Campsites are located upslope to the right of the trail after reaching the stream: one is halfway up the slope, and the other is at the top of the slope (no camping within 200 feet of the trail or creek). One and three-tenths miles from Vivian Creek Camp is Halfway Camp (8,100'). Water is obtained from the creek 200 yards before camp. Two and three-tenths miles further is High Creek Camp (water available - 9,200'). The summit of San Gorgonio (11,499') is 3 miles beyond High Creek. The upper end of this trail offers outstanding views of Yucaipa Ridge and Galena Peak, as well as sweeping panoramic views from the top of Mt. San Gorgonio. After the South Fork Trail, this is the second most used trail in the Wilderness.

10 minutes ago

The trail is back open as of August 15. Check with the Mill Creek Ranger station to confirm that it has not been closed again, but the fire has been contained more and it has been considered safe to use this trail. We hiked it on August 17 and had to hurry down from the peak due to a thunderstorm that was coming in. Overall, this is a great hike. The trail is a little rocky and eroded in spots, but definitely worth doing.

A challenging and rewarding trail.

Hard but was a good trail beautiful

One of my favorite hikes on the list of six pack of peaks. I’ve hiked this twice. Once with backpacking and once as a day trip. Just like everyone says, the first mile is quite an incline and got me huffing and puffing. Then the last two miles to the summit was a struggle. I had to stop every couple steps to catch my breathe. I don’t recommend camping at the summit because it’s super windy and could not sleep all night as the tent kept shaking. The top is usually windy and a bit chilly

We finished the Six Pack of Peaks with this hike and this hike was definitely the hardest one. The 1st mile after the creek will get your heart pumping. After that it’s an enjoyable climb. The last 1-2 miles before the summit will test your stamina. Pace yourself as the elevation will start to get to you. Check out our journey.

Or YouTube search Camfamfun or Socal Hikes and Beyond.

6/24 I summited yet one more time, it will define STEEP and LONG if you’ve forgotten. I am the slowest hiker but when I do summit people usually cheer me on. So many good people on the trail keep me going, swapping stories etc. The views always new n exciting for me, I take my camera every time I leave for a hike. This time I saw a deer on my way up and again on my way down so keep your eyes open. Last time we Backpacked and camped on summit. Sunset and dawn was awesome plus it’s half the distance per day. We did see a rattler warming itself in the early morning sun so pay attention and do leave them alone to be safe. Enjoy all of nature’s flowers, trees, neighboring mountains, waterfalls, streams, animals and even some of the bugs too. A great hike for all this and more, spend the extra time and relax but also see where you are. The distance hiked up is 8.9 miles plus a mile to the trail head and you will gain 5,578’ in elevation according to the info from the ranger. WATER is a must, I’ve polished off 3 liters before so bring a filter too. Enjoy

I hiked this yesterday, 6/23, just over a year from the first time I completed this hike. Total distance from where I parked was 18.85 miles (be prepared for a longer hike than the claimed 17.1 miles). It was a great hike, challenging as well but worth the effort. I summit-ed in 4 hours, 23 minutes. Total hike time was 8 hours 16 minutes (including 35 minutes of resting time, I didn’t stop for long). There were quite a few other hikers on the trail; I overtook 62 of them on my way to the summit, not counting those camping along the route

The weather was clear and quite warm. My water intake was more than anticipated and I went through all 3L in my Camelbak, it went dry at about 5 miles distance from the end of my hike. For these long out and back hikes I may start to bring extra water to stash along the way in order to be better prepared for times such as this when I run dry.

Hiked yesterday (6/19) it was a beautiful sunny day and the trail was difficult but manageable. I only used my 3 lit bladder and still had water at the end. Have fun!
**fyi: bears got into my friends car (she car camped at the trailhead) so be aware and prepare with proper storage of your supplies.

Backpacked to the summit and camped overnight. Brutal hike but worth the views and challenge.

Hard, but beautiful hike,
we camped at half point and summit the next day!!

The big payoff for this hike is the elevation training. The views are nice as well, but not excellent compared to the other near by trails. We did it in one trip and was surprised how long the way back was, it honestly felt harder.

The first set of switchbacks and the last push were 2 miles the hardest. I camped for a night at half-way camp it was a good site because it was pretty secluded but no water sources.

This Is a great hike but get ready to get you butt kicked. I actually rolled my ankle less than a mile after summitting so be careful when on that downhill.

We arrived at the Vivian creek trail head around 7:45 am and hiked up to halfway camp. There we set up our megamid and ditched our gear. After lunch we slackpacked the 5.5ish miles to the summit, which we reached near 4pm. At 11503 the mountain towered over all its neighbors, we got some beautiful views. We hiked back to halfway camp, we arrived at just about nightfall. Hiked out the next morning!

Nice hike. Great views.

This trail was absolutely beautiful. The first mile and the last couple miles up are the hardest but trekking poles help a ton. The juice is worth the squeeze on this one as the sights from up top are breathtaking.

Amazing views. very long hike on a very rocky and sometimes slippery trail. first and last parts were brutal, the first part also on the way down due to the strain on the knees (even with hiking poles). Are the views worth the pain? happy I did it, won't do it again.

Beautiful trail, definitely recommend Summiting in the fall and winter when you get to use crampons, it’s and unforgettable experience and the view of the the snowed mountains is priceless.

Great trail! Really well maintained. The first mile and last two are the toughest parts. Really beautiful and worth the hike! I did it in 2 days, but it could easily be done as a day hike.

Well worth the effort!
The hardest trail I've done so far. Great training for bigger challenges. My favorite trail and peak of the 6 packs. Will be back again! Took our 2 dogs and they are slumbering for days now, mission complete!

Pretty hard because of steepness but the views are GREAT

Amazing hike. Completed on 5/28. No need for microspikes. 1st mile and last before summit are the toughest, but worth it! There is plenty of water...best to fill up at High creek before and after summit bid.

4/28-29/18. No snow, some but not a heavy flow of water at high creek camp. Already crowded. Great hike though.

Hiked 4 28 18. The trail is in good shape. No need for spikes. This one is long. The section from 10k to 11k feet is brutal. Start early and take your time.

Hiked 4/21/18... hardly any snow on trail.. lucked out with perfect condition! The view at the top is amazing. The key to this hike is to start early!

Great Hike (13-14 APR 2018). My GPS showed 21 total miles round trip... We stayed on the trail. I think that the switchbacks have been extended. Friday on ascent we only saw 3 other people. Saturday, on our decent we saw about 40 hikers on their way up. Used only trekking poles.

Started this hike at 5am. There were already a few cars parked at the trail head. The trail is distinctly marked with signs from the trail head as you cross the Mill Creek River Bed.

It took us about 6 hours to ascend to the peak. We definitely took our sweet time. The weather was just too perfect! Hardly any wind at all and a cool 65 degrees for most of the hike. Still a few patches of snow and ice, but microspikes it not necessary. I would recommend trekking poles hiking back down due to the speed descend.

Be aware that once you come down the peak, don’t take the peak divide trail by accident. That will take you to the San Bernardino Peak, make sure you take the trail to the left.

Overall, one of the most beautiful hikes out here in the Inland Empire.

Bonus: We saw a bobcat hiding in a small cave.

Follow me on YouTube: Humble Hiker for Hiking Videos

Started at 5AM and took about 9.5H from the Vivian Creek trailhead to summit and return. There is minimal snow above 8k and was perfectly fine with poles and microspikes / yaktrax. Crampons and axe are unnecessary right now. The initial switchbacks and elevation gain are brutal and even worse when coming down. Take as little weight as possible to save your knees.

Fantastic challenging trail. Completed 10/6/17. From trailhead to summit - 5 hrs. Weather was perfect in early October.

The trail is very difficult and conditions are terrible deep snow and ice are all over the trail but the view at the top is amazing the trip should take you about two days make sure to bring appropriate clothing and a tent

Proper preperation prevents poor performance.

March 20th was my third time on the mountain this winter and I had the pleasure of bringing the girlfriend recently.
Started at 3 am so we could be high enough for some good morning shots. Together we reached a point about 2.5 miles from the peak but the girlfriend was dead! She just got back the morning before from a week long trip to Bali so I don't blame her. Ran/Jogged the last 2 miles up. There's two little peaks at the top but I went to the one 20 feet lower in elevation so I could save the real peak for the girlfriend and I. All in all a good experience with the right gear..and weather lol