Villager Peak Trail

Villager Peak Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Hiked this yesterday. Unfortunately, I followed some footsteps and cairns into the valley instead of up the ridge line (where the real trail goes). Ended up doing some scrambling and bouldering until I reached the crest -- where my path intersected with the real trail. I was able to eventually take the trail all the way down from the summit, which was much easier.

It was colder and windier than I had expected (even mid-February) and wish I had brought a windbreaker, gloves, and a cap. Great hike nevertheless, with beautiful views 360º.

Hiked it a couple days ago and the trail is in pretty good shape if you can call it a trail :) Not for the feint of heart. Start early and bring lots of water.

Rocks, rocks, rocks, and more rocks. This one will put some miles on your hiking boots. The views are amazing. I watched the last sunset of 2017 from the peak. Good times!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Got it back in the spring with Rabbit on an overnight trip. Tough hike with great views. Don't get stucca by yucca.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

This was a strenuous hike with a 5000' elevation gain. Out of the Anza Borrego State Park, the accent offers tremendous views of the Salton Sea and both Borrego Springs Valley and Coachella Valley at the top . Advice, don't do this in summer! Fall,Winter,Spring. You basically walk along a ridge that can get tricky at points to find the trail, but in these areas other hikers are kind enough to leave small cairns for your assistance.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Do this hike in the spring or fall to avoid the desert heat but before daylight savings...you will need all the daylight you can get unless you want to headlamp it. Pretty simple out and back as far as route finding. Going up I had the sun on my right side. Going down, yep, I had the sun on my right side. Makes for a great tan on that side if you need it. No shade to be found. And no one else to be found. Except for the herd of big horn I ran into. Make this a little longer hike and just a few more miles will take you to Rabbit Peak. Great desert hike!!