Viejas Mountain Trail

Viejas Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alpine, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Super rocky. Really difficult to get your footing. I took a tumble coming down. So it's slow going.
Amazing views at the top. Beautiful flora and fauna. Birds and even a baby rattler.

It was our first time hiking it. I think it is a great trail for getting a good workout. The elevation change had some factor on my time as I did feel that. It's quite rocky too, so not sure how it would be in the evening. I'm sure it would be a great view during sunset, because on a clear day, you can see all the way to the ocean. I think the rating should be easy to moderate.

Pretty good work out, amazing views of Conejos Valley.

Went up this one on a cool, cloudy day. Not as hard as some claim, though I could see this being quite strenuous on a hot day. Narrow, rocky trail. Kind of boring terrain to be honest, very brushy. It doesn't feel like hiking a mountain, it feels more like walking up a really big hill. 360 degree panoramic view at the top is pretty epic though, once you reach the manmade rock fort. Blissful solitude, not a soul out here on a weekday afternoon. If I did this one again, I'd probably try the harder southern approach from the trailhead near the casino.

A quick hike up a fairly well maintained rocky path. Nice views.

Straight up via switchbacks and pretty rocky trail, but very pretty views at top and it's a nice quick trail for a great workout! Park along road to left once you hit the area with space for cars and start trail at the spray painted rocks. There is a false summit so keep going until you find the rock formations and mountain peak markers.

The "parking lot" is a small pull off & the trail is across from that. Definitely recommend ankle support if you need it. I was glad to have my brace on. Peaceful hike, and we were the only ones there on a Sunday.

Not hard to find the trail; right across the road from the parking lot. I would recommend wearing good ankle support as the entire trail is loose rocks. Enough of an incline to get the blood moving, but not too steep most of the way. When you reach the top of the trail continue farther on the trail to the left which will go to the highest point where the flag and geomarker are located. Not a really long trail, but a good workout and great views in all directions.