Vernal Falls

Vernal Falls is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,335 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

There is some seasonality on this trail which may lead some temporary route closures. For more information, please check here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/vernalnevadatrail.htm

Went to the top of Vernal Falls via Mist Trail. I can see why this trail is rated as moderate. The steps were wet and some slippery. Go slow down and you’ll be fine. My husband and I did this with our 8 & 10 year old and they did fine! 3 miles round trip I believe. Definitely hike the extra to the top of the falls..... don’t just stop at the footbridge. We had lunch at the top! Great hike and workout.

Lovely trail with quite an ascent even to the bridge section. Towards middle of the day it was getting quite hot and sunny, I’d recommend going earlier in the day to enjoy the shade.

I loved this trail. We brought our 5 & 6 yr olds. My 6 yr. old could have made it to the top of the falls, my 5 yr. old isn't much of a hiker. Because of this, and hearing the steps can be wet and slick to the top we hiked to the bridge and turned around. The point to the bridge was incredible. The waterfall was so full and powerful. We brought a picnic lunch and ate by the bridge. Just amazing.

This a great hike. There are some pretty hard switch backs at the end. Also you will get totally wet and the stone trail is really wet.

very steep paved trail

It was an amazing experience hiking via the Mist trail to Vernal Fall. Got drenched by the time we reached to the top. Absolutely loved that ❤️

The trail is pretty steep all the way up, but it’s a beautiful hike all the way and totally worth it. I highly recommend climbing up the stairs to get a full view of the falls because you don’t see them from the bridge at the bottom. The stairs are steep and slippery and you will get soaked, so be very careful and take your time. This trail is my favorite one in Yosemite thus far because it’s doable, yet a little challenging. Overall, beautiful hike don’t miss out on this one while visiting Yosemite!!

Great hike, amazing views! Be prepared to get a little bit wet from the sprays - it does get a little steep/slippery, but not really too challenging. One of the must-do hikes in Yosemite.

Hands down... a must hike when visiting Yosemite.

Amazing trail. We did it on June 20th, 2019. Kohen was 6, Luca about to turn 5. Got to the large landing on the upper climb after the bridge.

Absolutely beautiful!! This was my 2nd hike ever and it was just amazing!! Enjoy... expect to get soaked if you go during waterfall season!!

Breath taking unbelievable experience

It's just absolutely wet near the falls. Expect to get everything wet from shoes to clothes.

I believe the upper parts of the trail would benefit from hand rails, especially the tighter areas where water is pour down the steps. The trail is unique and challenging. I enjoyed it, bring some type of rain jacket. Enjoy

Amazing hike, be prepared with waterproof gear!

Amazing views along the way

Such an amazing hike. As a rookie in hiking, let me say that this was one of the best experiences in my life. Be ready to go up some steep hills and a lot of steps. Overall with the mist hitting us and drenching us in water, it felt like we were in another dimension. This is a must do when going to Yosemite.

As expected, route was crowded, but worth the effort. We missed the sign that led us to the trailhead and ended up the Happy Isles path, but we were able to find the trailhead after we came upon a dead end into the roaring river. The hike to the bridge was steep at times, but doable. overall, the scenery couldnt be beat and was worth every moment. After the hike, the shuttle bus line was insane, so we hiked the extra half mile to our camp site.

Follow @yanahlioutdoors on Instagram! Great trail with amazing views of Vernal Falls. The only problem is it is overcrowded.

There’s stairs on this trail so be prepared to climb. If you’re only going to vernal falls and not doing the entire loop then it’s not too bad. Recommend good shoes, water proof of possible. Pack light, camel back. They do have a drinking fountain at the top of vernal falls. The hike is worth the beautiful views of The Valley and waterfall. Happy trails.

Mostly paved, even trail STRAIGHT UP the mountain. Lots of people, even during the week. Several great photo opps. A water station is located halfway up. There are also bathrooms, but these were out of order when I was there. My glutes were ACHING the next day.

Great hike! Beautiful waterfall. Just a little scary towards the top (slippery rocks and no railings).

Absolutely stunning. We hiked this with a our kids ... 7, 4 and 2 mo. We had our 4yo in a backpack and 2 mo in a carrier. Pack ponchos or raincoats - close to the falls, the mist is really strong. Wear good shoes too - the falls make the rock steps slippery! This was pretty high traffic, but so worth it. Make it to the top and you get to lounge in the rocks for another incredible view of the falls - pack a lunch if you can!

Freaking fantastic but you better be in some decent shape. It’s a killer.