Vernal and Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail

MODERATE 1,087 reviews

Vernal and Nevada Falls via the Mist Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yosemite Village, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

Hike to two breath-taking waterfalls along Yosemite Valley's most popular hiking trails. If you only have time for one hike while in Yosemite look no further: the Mist Trail is the hike for you. It is no wonder why this trail is one of the most popular trails in Yosemite Valley. You will hike so close to 2 massive waterfalls that it will be very difficult to avoid the mist from the falls. The best time to hike this trail is in Spring or early Summer, while the snow runoff is high and the falls are full of water. The Mist Trail starts at Happy Isles trailhead (YARTS shuttle stop #16, and within walking distance of Curry Village and parking lot). After a brief stroll along the river, you climb a pretty steep initial accent until you reach the footbridge, which offers the first glimpse of Vernal Fall in the distance (and a water-fountain and restrooms). You will then continue up to Vernal Fall, past Emerald Pool, and alongside Nevada Fall until you reach the high-point for this hike. Then take the alternate route down along the John Muir Trail to see views of Nevada Fall and Liberty Cap in the distance before meeting back up with the Mist Trail near the footbridge. The route back is slightly longer, but offers a change of scenery and is easier on the knees. Before hopping back on the YARTS shuttle, treat yourself to some ice cream or a refreshing drink at the small stand, or head over to Curry Village for a larger variety of choices.

Great weather for ducks! Having said that, I was completely blown away, humbled, and mesmerised by the falls. The rains over the past few days (and significantly added to today!) meant the waterfalls were in full flow. So dramatic. Don't miss this. A very good reason to go out of season (OK several reasons):

No crowds
Not too hot
Bags of water

Hard work, yes, and for those who suffer with a touch of vertigo (I realise I do), I'd say that's yet another reason to go out of season. You need good boots, not trainers as it does get slippery. Take care, I'm not exactly lacking in fitness, but I did a solid face plant having caught my boot in a root....

Wonderful walk, by the time I finished (and thank you to my occasional companion from Chicago) I knew I'd been on a fairly serious hike.

Doooo itttttttttttt....

Views are spectacular.. loved this hike. The ascent was tougher than I anticipated but the top of Nevada falls is amazing. You can hike this trail if you're not in good shape but you will be pretty miserable by the end. Leave early

Will always do this hike when I have the chance. Hiked this last Sunday and the falls were lower but still beautiful. As of 11/12/17 the JMT from Nevada Falls is closed due to ice and you have to go back down to Vernal in order to take the easier switchbacks down. (Be warned after the initial 2,300 ascent the link to JMT requires about 500 more feet of stairs to reach.) Excellent views all around!

Sore legs, great memories!

Absolutely amazing! If you go in May, June, or July, prepare to get wet. I brought a cheat poncho when I went, and I definitely made use of it! Incredible views throughout the entire hike and at the top!

A great hike and one golf my faves can’t go wrong either hiking up the jmt or the mist trail... steps up to verbal is a task in its own then even tougher task going up the mist and on to Nevada falls .. great swimming hike right above Nevada falls the cool water rejuvenates u if ur going further to little Yosemite valley or to the high country

The hike is best started early in the morning and make sure you bring ample snacks & water. Hiking sticks could be helpful, especially coming down. I hiked this trail in late October & it was cool & pleasant. I could see where in the summer it could get quite hot.

If you get vertigo (I do) you may have some difficulty on the stairs, but I found it doable when I took my time and focused on the step in front of me. The loop makes it pleasant because you don't have to mangle your knees coming down.

The views are breathtaking. A must do in Yosemite valley.