Learn more

Ventura River Preserve Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(222)
Ventura River Preserve

Ventura River Preserve Trail is a 2.9 mile loop trail located near Ojai, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 114 feet Route Type: Loop

Take US 101 to State Hwy 33 North. Turn left (West) at the first sign of State Hwy 150. Take State Hwy 150 less than 1 mile and turn right on Rice Rd. Take Rice Rd North through 3 stop signs and the trail head will be on your left about 200 yards after the 3rd stop sign.

flat. no downhill. not very challenging.

Easy flat walk around the river. Two crossings. Took my shoes off and waded in the water.

traveled this trail with a friend for the first time and turned a 3 mile hike into 9 miles by taking different adjacent trails. The weather was perfect there was water in the creeks, flowers were blooming and only a few bugs. The trail was fairly well traveled with other hikers, people on horseback and even some mountain bikers. If you go hiking on the trails that go into the mountains keep in mind that cell coverage is spotty so you might want to download the map before you start.

Perfect conditions right now. Bring water, a hat, sunscreen, bug spray, and a bathing suit.

It’s a beautiful relaxing hike/walk. There is different trails, I recommend staying to old Baldwin trail if you have kids or want something a bit easier. Over all very beauitful , must be able to cross lake. We crossed back and forth had to remove our shoes about 4 times so I recommend bringing a towel . We did get a bit wet, we also relaxed in the river for awhile. Please pick up after yourselfs

Great flat trail. I'm giving 4 stars because there aren't enough signs on the trail. There were many times when I would come to a cross road and not know which one was actually the official trail and which one wasn't. I ended up sticking to the Wills trail and when I came to the river I hiked back instead of crossing the river because i had my dog. i let my dog play in the water for a little bit, but i wasn't sure if I'd be able to cross with him due to there being so many rocks.

We just finished this trail with our 3 kids. My advice if you’re bringing kids- you need to carry them or make sure they are old enough to walk on their own and cross the river (3 spots). The trail itself is fairly easy but what messed up was the signage. There weren’t any signs that said Ventura river preserve trail. You had to just follow the signs for Willis rice trail and then refer to the all trails map. It was definitely work it and the water was low enough that it was safe for the kids to play in

Nice kid and dog friendly, relatively flat trails around the Ventura River. Some nature and wildlife to see. Some off trail paths lead to other river access points and the dam and small lake.

Great, easy trail to walk or jog with beautiful views. Pup approved too! Plus, you cross the river a couple times and my dog was happy to wade and cool off.

Lovely little hike. It’s majority exposed to sun, so I would recommend going in the cooler months or on early summer mornings. We spotted Red Tails and a Belted King Fisher, along with lots of song birds. A good amount of horses but otherwise quiet.

Although I gave this trail only four stars, I actually really loved it. I gave it four stars because other people may want a trail that’s a little more exciting. It was fairly flat and sandy and rocky, like walking on a river bed. But I had three dogs with me and they were quite happy especially when we got to the flowing river. It was an absolutely beautiful day and the dogs loved splashing in the water. This trail is also used for horses so expect to encounter a lot of horse poop and people riding the trail. We only came across a few people on a Tuesday so we mostly had it to ourselves. We did not actually cross the river but moved around enough to make it a nice 4 mile hike. If you have a dog that loves the water, I highly recommend it!

flooded

Came out after a couple weeks of December rains and the river was rushing! It was incredible! Air was crisp, but the light was hot. Would recommend hiking sticks for crossing the river, and exploring the various different paths! Dog and horse friendly.

I think timing is everything with this one. I went right after a rain, in the winter in the pre-sunset hour and it was glorious, the light and view of the mountains was breathtaking. I can see how it would be a hot and dusty walk at other times of the year.

dry, but good for exercise and nature walks

This was the Oso peak trail. We did not complete the trail. As you walk through the river bottom it is hot and dusty after you cross the river and make your way up the switchbacks and onto a single trail you gain elevation until you hit the Chaparral crest trail. Fun trail not a lot of shade small amount of elevation gain.

Sept 2019 | Easy trail with beautiful mountain, chaparral, and river views. There are several river crossings with lined boulders to boulder across if you don’t want to get your feet wet. The water temp. was lovely and almost lukewarm. The lower loop will have you cross private property to re-access the official trail. Stay in the white marked “cross-walks” to stay on-trail (dirt) and off private property. Spouts of shade here and there from oak trees but mostly a sunny walk. I hiked this trail in the evening (4:30pm/early September) and the weather was perfect as was the lighting.

Really pretty with views of the mountains. Good to go early, as not a lot of shade. 2 river crossings. Areas you can wade in the river. Not a large elevation gain.

We did this trail on August 3, 2019. We started at the Old Baldwin trailhead, and at first, I was fretting that there wasn’t going to be any water in the river. I was thankfully wrong. Once you get a little ways into the trail, you can see that the river is still flowing nicely, which our dog appreciated. It was quite hot outside, and the trail has a bit of shade, but not a ton. The Old Baldwin trail starts out with a narrow paved path, and then you can take the trail further into the reserve. We will definitely come back with our mountain bikes.

Flat terrain, sandy and dusty. Able to easily hop across the river on rocks. Water still flowing. The riverbed is beautiful. Nice easy hike, dog & kid friendly. Went on Saturday morning 9am, walked a leisurely pace and finished by 10:30am. By this time it was way too hot! Recommend doing this trail early am or evening. Not crowded, came across about 4 other couples. Will do again!