Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Van Dam Peak Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 823 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I really enjoy this trail as it is walking distance from my home. Although, I saw two rattlesnakes the last time I headed up. (About three weeks ago.) Steep at times and no shade. The kiddos named it “Mt. Bobby”.

It was a good trail, I think we took the wrong way LOL. Trail was overgrown, take pants and a long sleeve. I’d recommend going early since there’s no shade. Pretty rocky, a bit steep. Fun but somewhat short. We parked by the plaza.

I went there with my 4-year-old and it was quite challenging for her and her legs got hurt from the overgrown bushes. Nevertheless, it was fun and I’d do again, and so does my 4-year-old.

Good day to hike but this trail is beginning to get overgrown. Would reccomend pants and long sleeves. Also this is very much a mountain biking trail and we saw a few of those today with not a lot of room to get out of the way. Plenty of wild life and only one snake (not a rattlesnake).

Second time. I like it for a training hike. Few more Mtn bikers than I care to deal with, but still a good hike. Even with the 15 road noise. It becomes white noise.

Not the most inspiring trail but nonetheless an interesting quick hike. I went up on a rainy day and didn't get to enjoy any sweeping views. The trail is also used by mountain bikes so please pay attention to your surroundings!

Had to turn around because the mist was making the rocks too slippery

I got on the the trail by the Savanna condos, use all trails map it really helps getting you on track. Absolutely had a blast it kicked my ass scrambling up the rutted trail but once towards the top it mellows out, lots of off shoot trails I made trail markers for the way back. Take your time be patient watch your step. once on top beautiful views of Poway valley and you can see the ocean. there is an old cement foundation up their people say it was an fire look out*** update** it was actually an anttena for TV (poway historical society)

Animal poop all over, sandy with loose gravel, you have to wear hiking shoes because it does get slippery. The trial Felt less travelled - lots of dried bush maybe better to use pants and long sleeve tops.

Park at the Sabre Springs Park! Parking was easy. The trail itself is pretty much straight up and straight back down. I found it to be quite difficult. It was overgrown and the trail was sandy at places, making it a bit slippery. Be careful!

Trail head was hard to find. It was unmarked, no signs, at the end of a culdesac and once on the trail it was overgrown. definitely wear pants (or else your legs will get scratched up) and wear hiking shoes or boots. I wore nikes and because of the sandy dirt terrain with nothing to grip, I was slipping. Ended up turning around about a third of the way. May go back and try again with hiking boots.

Awesome trail. I would highly recommend. It is definitely tough and I will be back to do more of the trails and definitely bring a mountain bike!

Sun Apr 28 2019

there's a lot of rattlesnakes, beware!!

Sat Apr 13 2019

It's a good place to hiking but there is a lot of dog's shit.