Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Valencia Peak and Bluff Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(43)
Montana De Oro State Park

Valencia Peak and Bluff Trail Loop is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Osos, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,525 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Wonderful hiking area. Many trails to pick from. 2 peaks to enjoy. Oats Peak and Valencia Peak. Bluff trail along the ocean to finish with amazing rock formations. Also used by horses and bikes.

Very good trail throughout. Some loose rock in the last section below the peak but the switchbacks are helpful with the grade. Great views. But wear your hat, there’s no shade up there.

Amazing! It was a nice 2 hour hike allowing us time to check out tidepools, hang with some furry and feathered friends and stop to smell some flowers. We decided to skip the peak for today. We took Rattlesnake Trail (but, don't worry no Rattlers) to Badger. And that brought us all the way back to the beginning! There was a tough little incline once we got on Badger, but that lead us to some beautiful ocean vistas. Enjoy!

This is a pretty good trail. Finished in about 4 hours with slow pace. Valencia Peak part of the trail is rocky. Also, on the way back one part of Valencia trail is closed so we need to take a longer route to Bluff trail. Beautiful views from the top of Valencia peak and all throughout the trail. Watch out for geckos.

The bluff is easy, but going up Valencia peak is a hard hike. It’s good, but would rate it was hard.

Sun May 19 2019

My wife and I wanted a good hike in this area and found this trail to be slightly more than what we initially expected. Not because of the difficulty of the trail itself but because it is not a trail with steady foot traffic compared to some of the shorter trails in the area. Some parts of the trail itself was heavily overgrown with the brush so we were very mindful of ticks and snakes but otherwise the trail itself was a great adventure.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Went out in a limb and decided to take a hike at Valencia. There are options to branch out but I stuck strictly with Valencia. This trail is good if you want a work out and views above fog level - which is a pretty cool thing to say - that you “were above the clouds!” If you have bad knees, be aware there are several steep rocky inclines and the paths get pretty narrow and close the edge of the hills. I spent a lot of time looking down to ensure I didn’t lose my footing. There’s a lot of poison oak and there are warnings of ticks and mountain lions (I saw none). Once you think you’re almost to the top, you’re not. To get to the summit you endure winding paths. Be careful if you go solo, if you fall you might not be discovered or get help since there’s not a lot of traffic even though it’s described as moderately trafficked. I started at 2:30 and finished round trip by 5:30. I did see a couple people pass me. Take a camelback, snack and plenty of water. The steep trail will get your heart rate up if you’re new to hiking, the protein will help you manage your energy and balance on the way back down. Your buns of steel, beer, vodka, or whatever you drank the night before (I see you slo county/cal poly!) wont make this trail any easier and you’ll be hurtin! This trail is probably a good “first date” trail. Lots of photo opportunities too. Happy hiking!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Great hike with ocean views

Sun Jun 17 2018

It’s was beautiful. But watch out for snakes!! Next time we go back we’ll finish the whole thing! Lol

Sun Apr 08 2018

This trail was well marked and had amazing views. In the spring there are beautiful wildflowers. We went on a Sunday and it was busy. Lots of hikers and trail runners. The views are spectacular especially with the green lush hills after rain. The ocean views can’t be beat. Be careful of ticks and poison oak along the edge of the trail. It was abundant when we hiked it. Lots of small and larger poison oak. There is quite a climb but the top of the peak has amazing views. Well worth it.