Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

Upper Yosemite Falls Trail

Upper Yosemite Falls Trail is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,175 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Enjoy the thrilling views of looking down from the top of Yosemite Fall. Yosemite Fall, dropping 2,425 feet to the bottom of the valley from the top, is one of the most visited places in Yosemite National Park. The fall consists of three sections: upper falls, middle cascade and lower falls. While most people visit lower falls only, upper falls is definitely worthy of visiting for its eye-opening views and hiker's self-satisfaction of reaching it. The trail to Upper Yosemite Fall is about 3 miles one way, gaining approximately 3,000 feet in elevation along the way. Once you get to the top of the valley, you can go to Yosemite Fall Overlook, a small platform near the mouth of Upper Yosemite Fall, to enjoy the thrilling views of looking down from above. The trailhead is located in the Sunnyside campground (Camp 4) near Yosemite Lodge. It generally takes 6 - 8 hours for average hikers to complete the roundtrip hike. The trail is generally open for the whole year, but can be difficult to hike in winter due to snow, especially beyond Columbia Rock.

Beautiful hike. Sadly we had to tap out midway up. We were not ready for the switchbacks, but we also had a baby. The trail is well maintained and even saw 4 guys up there with tools working on the trail. We will be back to finish this hike soon.

Quite steep. But the views as you get closer to the top are beautiful. Can be misty if going during summer when falls are roaring.

Absolutely amazing, a must hike. We started at 7am and made summit by 10:30, a warm November day. The views of the valley are absolutely incredible. Towards the top it’s all sun, bring plenty of water. My Fitbit says it’s more than 7 miles, but 3200 vertical is accurate. We aren’t young, but did not think the switch backs were too difficult, just choose a nice pace. Going down took us the same amount of time, not too slippery, but stay safe from gravity on the thousands of steps.

Beautiful hike! First three miles were the toughest, especially the third mile. Hit the trailhead at 1145am, summited at 245, got back to the truck at 715pm. Bring a headlamp, lots of water, and an extra/outer layer.

Not 7 miles. I would guess 9-10 based on knowing my general pace and how long it took. Switchbacks for days. So many stone steps, if you don’t like stairs then probably not your jam. Summit views make up for all of it

Great hike. The only thing that was upsetting was there was no waterfalls. But overall l, it was fun!

Beautiful views of Half Dome and the valley! The falls are dry right now, but the views were still stunning. The hike is very strenuous though, and the weather can change on a dime. We went from no jackets to multiple layers as it began to snow on our way down. The trail is mostly switchbacks, so just be ready for lots of incline/decline. Bring lots of water, snacks, and bear spray. We ran into one right on the trail!

I decided to hike to the base of El Cap and then make my way to the top. I figured I may not be back in Yosemite any time soon so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity. It was a long 41km and in parts quite difficult.

Sunny way in the morning provide amazing water views at the top but dry waterfalls in autumn! to do all the same!

Only can rate half of this trail as it turned out way longer than 21.5 miles. We did half and ran out of time, and my recording showed 18 miles. But it was beautiful! Will do the whole loop for sure

Bring plenty of water. Between waypoints 3 and 4 is the toughest, as you walk on a 45° incline or higher for about 1.5 hours with very little shade.

Highly recommend this trail if you are in Yosemite. The views just get better and better the higher you go. Just make sure to bring plenty of water and food if you do the entire trail. In all definitely home of the best trails in Yosemite.

A pretty strenuous hike for your average person, but my goodness, that view from the top is worth it!!!!!

a great hike. The waterfall was a trickle but them's the breaks this time of year. Well worth doing. Views are insane...

Amazing views from the top! Definitely a hard trail, take plenty of water and snacks! 5/5 recommend!

Spectacular hike. It’s too bad we were here when there is on going fire in Mariposa, near the park causing extremely smoky air and smoky clouds. When you get to the Upper fall out look, don’t stop there, continue to the left to see spectacular pool down there. Enjoy!

This trail is very strenuous, and beautiful at the same time. Bring sufficient water and snacks to keep you going. Well maintained but there was no water coning down now. You see the majestic rock wall only, must be beautiful in the spring.

Long and very challenging hike that I did as my first true hike. The view is worth it at the end and there is a swimming hole to cool off at. Bring a good amount of water and a snack to keep yourself going as you get closer to the top

Not for the faint of heart! They should call this trail stair master falls. 3.5 miles of steady climbing to the top, we were in decent shape and still only averaged about 45 mins/mile because we had to keep stopping to catch our breath. The views along the way and at the top are definitely worth it, but be prepared! Lots of bees at the top too where people are stopped to eat their food.

Fantastic view all the way! Be careful, the rocky stairs are slidy too smooth after thousands people use them. Make surr your shoes still have enough friction especially needed at downhill. Falls are dry from Aug - Oct (if no rain). Go there earlier because 1) sunset earlier on the trail, 2) You may have more time to reach Eagle Peak, even El Capitan (West) or Yasemite View (East).

This trail was strenuous and only 8.0 miles Round trip not 10 miles as previously posted. The upper falls were dry but the view was stunning. Note to the jerk who left a gallon zip lock bag of poop and dirty toilet paper on a rock in the middle of the trail. It’s a new low.

Very nice trail that worth the effort. I put only 4 stars because the half dome trail and view is much better. Definitively to do to warm up your legs before doing the half dome.

Hike was more like 9 miles one way and I’ve seen better views for 9 miles . Not my fav hike in Yosemite will never do it again . I’m bitter lol

The trail going up will really get your heart pumping. Pretty difficult if you are a novice but the views from on top are stunning. I never thought I’d see anything that beautiful. The scenery is worth the fight.

my fitness tracker says 185 flights of stairs, 30851steps. Stunning views.