Upper Otay Reservoir

Upper Otay Reservoir is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chula Vista, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 157 feet Route Type: Loop

It is a decent hike. Some over growth, easy trails. definitely go in the morning.

Flat and easy. Not very nice though. Scenery was meh. Graffiti throughout first little section of the trail where it’s paved. Constructions materials strewn about in various places. Overgrowth on East side of the loop, so recommend wearing leggings/pants. Pretty much all exposed so go in the morning. Use this app to help keep you on the right trail. Easy to do with dogs or kids.

super nice easy trail with the kids 11 yrs old.

Wear pants. Or leggings. Shorts not recommended with all the over growth.

Beautiful way to spend an sunrise service on Easter Morning. Weather was perfect with a cloud cover allowing sun rays to come through as you walk the trails of this hilly area The lake was full with water rushing through the release hole of the damn. One of the sites is the damn through years of graffiti and local artists it is very colorful. My 2 pups enjoy this simple small trail a lot.

Just a nice short trail with it’s own super bloom of color right now. Yellows and purples cover the hills and paths.

Went last week. Due to all the rain recently, it was too moody/wet to cross in certain areas and had to turn around

no clear path. hard to find a cross way to climb the small mountain. not fun at all.

Sun Nov 04 2018

The trail head said prohibited entry?

Tue Jun 12 2018

Out of all the hikes I’ve been in up and down California this one has got to be one of the most let downs. Honestly this was a walk around what’s left of the Otay River, which is now just trash, (lots of peoples “used” drugs/alcohol) it has an odd energy and it was just sad seeing how people can just ruin nature and its beauty. Definitely wouldn’t bring my kids here.

Tue Jun 12 2018

This is a great segment to add to the surrounding trails. Riding the loop counter-clockwise gives you an opportunity to take on a rocky climb and to practice some harder lines. Taking it clock-wise has a great flow where you can fly through rocky sections.

Sun Jun 10 2018

good hike. but not much to see.

Sun Jun 10 2018

This place is amazing for intermediate mountain bike riding. There are a lot of trails that lead to the same destination. The beginning of the trail starts of with a lot of big bushes and lead to the long trees and branches near the lake. There will be a lot of unexpected turns and you can get little scratches so make sure to wear long pants. There are so many hills and turns and you can really enjoy the ride. Once you get deeper into the trail it’s almost like a desert, lots of open grainy terrain, and small bushes. If you go around summer, the sun will be on you so hard, so make sure to wear sunscreen and bring lots of water. Be careful for snakes and bugs!!! But overall this trail is amazing and the end result rewarding. I always feel the ride back to the parking area is a shorter ride than the way in!!! My husband and I love it so much, it’s become one of our favorite trails.

Thu Apr 19 2018

Trail gets a bit dicey to follow on the north side of the lake, had to double back. Ran it on a rainy day too, the north side is pretty muddy. I also ran it in Merrill barefoot trail running shoes, would not recommend because of how rocky the back half of the trail is. Walked a few sections just because I was getting jabbed by rocks with every stride. No judgments from me, but there were a few kids hanging out on the graffiti wall in the no trespass area. Hey I was in highschool once, but still I wouldn't leave anything valuable in your car.

Mon Feb 26 2018

I liked it but it was kind of sketchy was checking it out for my baby and I to hike but I definitely wouldn’t go alone or even with one friend if you are a female there were people waiting in the parking lot watching cars which I know they were because they had flip flops on but if you are in a group it’s relaxing

Sun Feb 25 2018

The hike is moderate however we didn’t finish due to no people being around except for the three man standing by the hill, very suspicious. We ended up turning around then came across the broken glass.... that means cars get broken into , watch out. Unless you’re going with more than 3 people I wouldn’t recommend it. Reminds me of an episode of CSI.

Tue Sep 19 2017

I've been this trail once before, a year ago. It was a decent area, not bad with the pretty reservoir. However this time out, I was horrified to find glass littered everywhere. From the parking lot all the way down and out a mile or so. Very unkept, do not bring your dog unless they are wearing shoes!

Sun Sep 17 2017

Upon arriving I saw glass from a car window littered all over the parking area (don't leave valuables in your car) The trail is definitely lightly trafficked and not well marked. The reservoir is beautiful. I am disappointed in the amount of glass littered on trail down to the water. Lots of broken beer bottles. Wouldn't really say it's kid friendly, maybe kids over 10. Wasn't a bad hike but definitely won't be returning.

Thu Jul 06 2017