Upper Otay Reservoir

Upper Otay Reservoir is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chula Vista, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Not impressed at all. The drive in was easy and parking was decent. We went on Easter so it was packed, but on any other day parking should be fine. I read it was a 2 mile or so hike around the lake. My husband and I brought our bikes to make it easier in our kids (10,8,7,6) The trail signs were awful IF they were even present. Only certain sections were paces and the rest were weird dirt trails many of which said no trespassing. The dam was cool, but if you like hiking or biking around lakes Miramar Lake is WAY better.

I went on a Tuesday at 345 took me till 5.
Unclear entrance.
"Path" was extremely unclear!
Unpaved road for the first half of the hike.
Beautiful scenery
No trash anywhere!
Only saw a few other people
Had my baby and dog with me (no stroller)
Beautiful mansions on the hilltops to look at
The reservoir was filled with water!
The graffiti wall/dam was pretty cool!

All in all the hike was really good. I enjoy looking for the path sometimes.... But if you're not good with that sort of thing, I would choose another hike.

parts of the path are not clearly marked. Otherwise it was a great walk.

With the recent rains the trail was really muddy and swampy in some areas. A bridge that crosses over a stream was partially under water. Overall the hike was fun with varied terrain: flat, rocky, dry, lush, etc. Just prepare to get your shoes wet and muddy!

Not a very nice place.

Great views of surrounding hills and Lower Otay. This trail is easy, more like walking than hiking. Dad, Mom, 12 yr old, 8 yr old handled it without any difficulty. Wait at least 5 days after it rains or bring water proof boots. Had to hop across parts of the trail that were ankle deep due to elevated creek levels. Gave it 3 stars because it wasn't anything breathtaking or difficult, just a nice walk on a nice day.

Nice trail with view of lake. Still developing the plant areas. Pretty clean.

Pretty easy trail to navigate with the all trails map download. We did this with 3 kids and our 2 dogs and no one had any issues completing it. There was a lot of mud along the northwest side of the lake due to some recent storms but it wasn't that bad. This is a good short hike with nice views of the lake.