Upper Otay Reservoir

Upper Otay Reservoir is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chula Vista, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

I've been this trail once before, a year ago. It was a decent area, not bad with the pretty reservoir. However this time out, I was horrified to find glass littered everywhere. From the parking lot all the way down and out a mile or so. Very unkept, do not bring your dog unless they are wearing shoes!

Upon arriving I saw glass from a car window littered all over the parking area (don't leave valuables in your car) The trail is definitely lightly trafficked and not well marked. The reservoir is beautiful. I am disappointed in the amount of glass littered on trail down to the water. Lots of broken beer bottles. Wouldn't really say it's kid friendly, maybe kids over 10. Wasn't a bad hike but definitely won't be returning.

off road driving

Not impressed at all. The drive in was easy and parking was decent. We went on Easter so it was packed, but on any other day parking should be fine. I read it was a 2 mile or so hike around the lake. My husband and I brought our bikes to make it easier in our kids (10,8,7,6) The trail signs were awful IF they were even present. Only certain sections were paces and the rest were weird dirt trails many of which said no trespassing. The dam was cool, but if you like hiking or biking around lakes Miramar Lake is WAY better.

I went on a Tuesday at 345 took me till 5.
Unclear entrance.
"Path" was extremely unclear!
Unpaved road for the first half of the hike.
Beautiful scenery
No trash anywhere!
Only saw a few other people
Had my baby and dog with me (no stroller)
Beautiful mansions on the hilltops to look at
The reservoir was filled with water!
The graffiti wall/dam was pretty cool!

All in all the hike was really good. I enjoy looking for the path sometimes.... But if you're not good with that sort of thing, I would choose another hike.

parts of the path are not clearly marked. Otherwise it was a great walk.

With the recent rains the trail was really muddy and swampy in some areas. A bridge that crosses over a stream was partially under water. Overall the hike was fun with varied terrain: flat, rocky, dry, lush, etc. Just prepare to get your shoes wet and muddy!

Not a very nice place.