Upper Otay Reservoir

Upper Otay Reservoir is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chula Vista, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I've been this trail once before, a year ago. It was a decent area, not bad with the pretty reservoir. However this time out, I was horrified to find glass littered everywhere. From the parking lot all the way down and out a mile or so. Very unkept, do not bring your dog unless they are wearing shoes!

Upon arriving I saw glass from a car window littered all over the parking area (don't leave valuables in your car) The trail is definitely lightly trafficked and not well marked. The reservoir is beautiful. I am disappointed in the amount of glass littered on trail down to the water. Lots of broken beer bottles. Wouldn't really say it's kid friendly, maybe kids over 10. Wasn't a bad hike but definitely won't be returning.

Not impressed at all. The drive in was easy and parking was decent. We went on Easter so it was packed, but on any other day parking should be fine. I read it was a 2 mile or so hike around the lake. My husband and I brought our bikes to make it easier in our kids (10,8,7,6) The trail signs were awful IF they were even present. Only certain sections were paces and the rest were weird dirt trails many of which said no trespassing. The dam was cool, but if you like hiking or biking around lakes Miramar Lake is WAY better.

I went on a Tuesday at 345 took me till 5.
Unclear entrance.
"Path" was extremely unclear!
Unpaved road for the first half of the hike.
Beautiful scenery
No trash anywhere!
Only saw a few other people
Had my baby and dog with me (no stroller)
Beautiful mansions on the hilltops to look at
The reservoir was filled with water!
The graffiti wall/dam was pretty cool!

All in all the hike was really good. I enjoy looking for the path sometimes.... But if you're not good with that sort of thing, I would choose another hike.

parts of the path are not clearly marked. Otherwise it was a great walk.

With the recent rains the trail was really muddy and swampy in some areas. A bridge that crosses over a stream was partially under water. Overall the hike was fun with varied terrain: flat, rocky, dry, lush, etc. Just prepare to get your shoes wet and muddy!

Not a very nice place.

Great views of surrounding hills and Lower Otay. This trail is easy, more like walking than hiking. Dad, Mom, 12 yr old, 8 yr old handled it without any difficulty. Wait at least 5 days after it rains or bring water proof boots. Had to hop across parts of the trail that were ankle deep due to elevated creek levels. Gave it 3 stars because it wasn't anything breathtaking or difficult, just a nice walk on a nice day.

Nice trail with view of lake. Still developing the plant areas. Pretty clean.

Pretty easy trail to navigate with the all trails map download. We did this with 3 kids and our 2 dogs and no one had any issues completing it. There was a lot of mud along the northwest side of the lake due to some recent storms but it wasn't that bad. This is a good short hike with nice views of the lake.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Easy, nice views the second half of the loop

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Great Trail for the family great Trail for your dog... peaceful sort of tricky to navigate but fun and we made it around the lake...

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Fun and different take on Lake Otay.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Nice smooth trail that's not crowded and winds around a small tranquil lake. :-)

Monday, September 05, 2016

Good walking /biking/running trail...easy trail.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Nice and easy

Friday, April 22, 2016

Did this one with a jogging stroller, but only for the first .90 miles - had to double back at the rickety and broken wooden pallets that served as a bridge and wouldn't accommodate the stroller. Nice views of the lake. Keep an ear out for bikers though, they come flying around the curves and you're expected to dodge out of the way in time.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Nice and easy for kids too .

Thursday, March 10, 2016

I headed east of the upper Otay reservoir, where you find yourself going up the mountains. That trail is very nice, but really long as well. I did a 9.7 mile hike up and down the mountains. I totally recommend it, just take lots of water. (This is not an easy trail.) You can go back once you reach to the flag on top, thats what most people did either way its very fun.