Upper Ojai - Sisar Canyon

Upper Ojai - Sisar Canyon is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Paula, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,108 feet Route Type: Out & Back

On my mountain bike. Left from my house in downtown Ojai up to the trail head for a 12 mile warm up. Went up Sisar trail. There is still some water in both water crossings located in the first 2 miles. Continued up to Nordhoff ridge road across to gridley trail. I hadn’t been further than 5 miles up the trail in years. There was a sign at the gridley junction warning that there could be a variety of hazards post fires....hiking would be totally fine but riding a bike is a bit more precarious due to higher speeds, loose gravel, rocks, and overgrown trail. Be careful. :)

Trail itself is a fire road/Jeep trail so the terrain is not difficult. I feel this trail should be considered medium, not hard. Maybe it was marked hard because it is uphill all the way. Amazing semi-shaded canyon with a creek close alongside. Beautiful and relaxing... Lots of water flowing making a peaceful sound. The trouble I had... Once you leave the creekside the trail goes into the sun with no shade... Large switchbacks... I kept expecting to reach some sort of summit and then begin my decent back down.... The trail keep going up and up with no summit... I kept expecting some sort of summit or trail marker marking the end at around 2.5 Miles.... I didn't end up turning around until I had gone up 4 miles & still no summit... That was where the trail split off tho the camp. My entire hike was 8 miles & I was disappointed because I wanted some sort of completion point, not just having to turn around on a never-ending fire road...

There’s only about 5-6 parking spots at the trailhead and I got the last spot at 9 am but it didn’t seem like a very popular spot so it might not be an issue. The creek has a good amount of water in it but you only have to cross it twice and it’s pretty easy. Definitely go early because the beginning and the last climb up have no shade and it is HOT. But the view at the end is amazing and worth it so just push through that last climb. The creek runs alongside of the trail most of the time and it’s very soothing.

Great trail to hike. Wouldn’t rate it as difficult though. Still has two streams with flowing water. If you start early the trail has shade most of the way.

one of my favorite hikes. there's still a lot of running water in the stream and plenty of wildflowers. its mostly uphill the whole way out, with a few very easy stream crossings. the first few miles have a decent amount of shade, but after that there's none and the sun can be brutal.

I truly enjoy hiking on this trail. The water levels were a bit higher than normal but we didn't have any issues crossing any of the two streams. Not sure why it says the trail is closed, as I normally see people hiking this route. Either way, I had a pretty good hike today.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

You can no longer park up the hill. At the end of the road is a new gate. There is limited parking for about 5 cars. Road has been graded recently. Two seasonal creeks are still flowing. Trees have grown in and there is partial shade for the first 3 miles before the ascent up the hill.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Took Boy Scout Troop up Sisar Canyon to White Ledge campsite. The canyon is one of my favorite repeat hikes with both shade and active creek for cooling off. White Ledge is a great destination and offers running water from the site's springs. Up Sisar Canyon to White Ledge camp and then across and down Horn Canyon to The Pines camp makes a great 2-nite backpack experience.