Upper Hot Spring Canyon to Falls Trail

Upper Hot Spring Canyon to Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile out and back trail located near Trabuco Canyon, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 439 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trailhead can be tricky to find. It is several miles down a narrow winding one lane road. Walk onto the filed and follow the small stream that leads to the main stream. The stream will take you to the trail - follow the yellow blazes.

Majorly overgrown! We hit a point where it was just too hard to see the trail. There was tons of weeds with pokey seeds, so if you do come where proper hiking pants because they will imbed themselves in legging materials. Wish I could have seen where the trail led to but it just wasn’t possible

Lost the trail towards the end. Path became to dangerous to follow in the gear I came with. I don’t know if I’ll do this hike again.

closed

This is not an official trail and is very dangerous in spots. I talked to the ranger and it is currently illegal to be in this area during the fire season. Also, the trail is covered in poison oak and had the most mosquitos I’ve ever experienced in California. Maybe it was better in the past ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this is a seasonal trail. dont come unless there has been rain recently. watch for ticks. lots of bugs and thick over growth

I was pleasantly surprised by this trail. The wildflowers and waterfall were beautiful and rewarding. The trial was overgrown and there were a ton of huge black flies that kept swarming around us and biting us everywhere! Overgrown trail, hard to squeeze through some areas without getting poked. It was a jungle! Definitely wear long sleeves and pants. Some poison oak/ivy along the way, but easily avoidable. Completed in roughly 3 hours. No other map shows this trail, not google, not Gaia maps, nothing. Just this app, so if you have the premium account, definitely download the map!! There’s a few pathways you can easily get turned around. We ended on a different path than we started but we found our way back just fine.

Very overgrown and slippery when wet. Water was flowing so the waterfall was a great payoff at the end.

5/28/19 Trail head has no marker. It's in between the railing arrows and to the left of the closed trail notice sign. If you pay for the premium version with GPS it is no problem to find. I really loved how secluded things felt the entire time. We were here for 4 hours with no sight of another soul. Not much shade so I don't recommend a hike in the middle of the day and/or dead of summer. Pretty wildflowers for this spring. Trail is very overgrown and in some places hard to keep sight of the path. Keep long pants and shirts on as poison ivy is plenty. Not a long or difficult hike, you just need to watch your footing. I would recommend hiking to the first 20 ft fall and turning around from there. You would be hiking another half mile to the end and the lackluster top of the second fall. The view is unspectacular and the desire to see the front of it will not preceed the dangers of trying to climb down it. Seriously don't try it! Watch out for rattle snakes! They like to sun bathe on the trail. Also check all persons and dogs for ticks before you get back into your car.

trailhead was difficult to find. extremely overgrown so i would recommend long pants and long sleeves

short hike great finish

I would rate this as intermediate due to the rock scrambling and many rocky water crossings.

5/11/2019 Trailhead is several miles down a narrow winding one lane road. Parked at the camping site and walked to trailhead. It is not well marked. Of you see a Trail Closed sign, go to the left a few yards to find the trail. Beautiful covered trail for most of the way that follows along a creek. Trial is fairly narrow and overgrown in spots, we took a couple wrong turns. There are some rocky areas with an adjacent drop off. Had to cross the creek several times and it was nice having trekking poles, but creek is not deep at all. First waterfall is about 20’ or so and is beautiful with a couple of nice pools. We saw lots of salamanders. We continued a short way past the first waterfall hoping to reach the 2nd fall, but decided to turn back. The rocks are extremely slippery. Trail Rating ***** I’d do it again tomorrow **** I’ll do it again, it after I hike new trails ***I’ll do it again if someone asks **I’ll begrudgingly do it again *I’ll never do it again