Upper Hot Spring Canyon to Falls Trail

Upper Hot Spring Canyon to Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile out and back trail located near Trabuco Canyon, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 439 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trailhead can be tricky to find. It is several miles down a narrow winding one lane road. Walk onto the filed and follow the small stream that leads to the main stream. The stream will take you to the trail - follow the yellow blazes.

This trail is way overgrown. A lot of trees down on the trail. Expect to be attacked by plants for about 90% of the time. You can probably disregard the trail map too, the actual trail kind of weaves back and forth around where AllTrails says the trail is. Just follow the stream. Be prepared to walk on narrow washed out trails for a good mile. Decent trail, but if I come back I’m bringing a machete.

A beautiful hike but difficult with dogs. The trail head is no where to be found. We followed the stream and made it to the waterfall. *Hiking boots recommended *long pants nylon or jeans *long sleeves The rocks are slippery and a lot of thorny prickly bushes. We did not have a tick problem but I am sure they are there. There was a beautiful bush covered in mating lady bugs on the trail to the left about 1/4 mile in. Hiked January 1st

Would not recommend bringing a dog. I have a 70 lbs husky and had to carry her several times over fallen down trees / broken bushes. Due to the overgrown vegitation I also had to pick off several deer ticks and Spurs.

We're visiting from out of town, and I saw this hike close by, not too easy and short, not too long, so we went today. The trail is pretty easy to find and follow; however there were at least three fallen trees covering/blocking the path that force you to go off the trail and around them several times. The first part of the trail through the wooded area wasn't great but it's nice when you get to going along the creek until the end. The blocked path made it difficult to find the path again after going around the obstacles, but we managed to find it. We ended up with many of those tiny little stickers all over the bottoms of our pants, and I had two ticks on me, one of them that bit me while I was driving back. I quickly stopped and grabbed it off my far lower back as quickly as possible, and my boyfriend found another after that. It's definitely because of going off the path, but there was no choice. Also, I had hoped the Falls would've been more impressive. I think we got to the end of the trail, and we didn't find anything great to see, so that was a little disappointing. So, it was good and bad, thus 3 stars.

came after Christmas on sat 28... snow everywhere looked magestic i was wearing vans and snow covered the trail i made it to the falls so im assuming when its clear it wont be too bad but definitely worth checking it out when its dry

Majorly overgrown! We hit a point where it was just too hard to see the trail. There was tons of weeds with pokey seeds, so if you do come where proper hiking pants because they will imbed themselves in legging materials. Wish I could have seen where the trail led to but it just wasn’t possible

Lost the trail towards the end. Path became to dangerous to follow in the gear I came with. I don’t know if I’ll do this hike again.

closed

This is not an official trail and is very dangerous in spots. I talked to the ranger and it is currently illegal to be in this area during the fire season. Also, the trail is covered in poison oak and had the most mosquitos I’ve ever experienced in California. Maybe it was better in the past ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this is a seasonal trail. dont come unless there has been rain recently. watch for ticks. lots of bugs and thick over growth

I was pleasantly surprised by this trail. The wildflowers and waterfall were beautiful and rewarding. The trial was overgrown and there were a ton of huge black flies that kept swarming around us and biting us everywhere! Overgrown trail, hard to squeeze through some areas without getting poked. It was a jungle! Definitely wear long sleeves and pants. Some poison oak/ivy along the way, but easily avoidable. Completed in roughly 3 hours. No other map shows this trail, not google, not Gaia maps, nothing. Just this app, so if you have the premium account, definitely download the map!! There’s a few pathways you can easily get turned around. We ended on a different path than we started but we found our way back just fine.