Learn more

Upper Cabin Trail Loop is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westlake Village, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length 8.8 mi Elevation gain 2,683 ft Route type Loop

Photos (1360)
Recordings (65)
Completed (165)
Carlos Huerta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

Going up through the left side with all the loose rock was hard, and going down the right side was really hard too since I had to climb down and was super inclined. So either way is going to be tough. RECOMMENDATIONS: WEAR HIKING BOOTS SUNBLOCK LOTS OF WATER HAT( there are lots of plants, and honestly if you are taller than 5ft you need to hike in lots of areas bending down, is challenging) AND PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE MAP, is super useful and use it on the way down every 10 minutes, because you can get lost very easily. The hike was worth every effort, the views are 10/10. One more thing, If you are a person that thinks the Hollywood sing type of hike is hard, DONT does this hike. This is NOT a beginner NOR moderate type of hike. I've done many hikes in my life including mount Whitney and this is probably number 3 on my toughest. So be prepared mentally and physically.

David Besson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Trail can be hard to follow near the peak and watch out for loose dirt/rocks and potholes on the way down

View David's Recording
Derick Holcomb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 26, 2020
ScrambleWashed out

It's a tough trail, I went today and have done it several times. Be ready to use your whole body and keep an eye ON the trail. First time, I lost the trail for about 15 mins and couldn't believe certain parts of it. I do like that its a loop but wouldn't recommend going down the western side. I have to duck on several parts as it's overgrown. Rattlers are common so dont rock ear buds. Bring quality shoes as it is very treacherous and rolling an ankle might require a CHOPPA.

Rosa Chesser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScrambleWashed out
View Rosa's Recording
Jason Killian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 24, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grownRockyScramble

I have to reinforce the last review. The west side of this trail is loose rock and steep; prepare for a scramble. And go slow on the west side as I too got lost from the trail, and took like an hour to get in and out. Now that I've done it though I'll be returning - as the views are absolutely stunning.

Natasha Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2020
HikingBlowdownOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

I intended on doing a different hike but ended up doing this after passing the Danielson Monument. Going up was beautiful but then I got lost getting to the very top. Going down was HORRIBLE. Not meant to be climbed down. Lost the trail like 8 times. At one point I almost had to call for help. Great views, glad I did it, but damn. Must be experienced to do this trail.

View Natasha's Recording
Cliff Simeon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 7, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble

This was no joke! please take every proper precaution you can. the trail was long, grueling but very rewarding. be careful of loose rocks. I mustve fell 5x because of them. the trail isnt well maintained near the peak. I had to jump, slide, and carefully scramble down. its hard, incredibly hard. so again take every precaution you can :)

View Cliff's Recording
Michael Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 8, 2020
Hiking

If you decide to do the whole loop, be prepared, it’s hard, not impossible but some of the trail is washed out on the Western Ridge Side.

View Michael's Recording
Jessie Helbacka-Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 24, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail- scramble no matter which way you go. Challenging but fun. Make sure you download the map because you need it so you don’t get lost.

View Jessie's Recording
Luis D'Jesus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 6, 2019
Mountain biking

This is a very nice trail I always wanted to go there. I went to the water falls and the Danielson monument. I will go back but my only disappointment is that this trail is not for mountain biking.

Frieda McKaughan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2019
HikingOver grownRockyScramble