Upper Cabin Trail Loop is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westlake Village, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,683 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I did the full loop: up the Western Ridge Trail and down the Upper Cabin Trail. I went in the morning on a heavily overcast day, and the upper portion of this route was so foggy that I could not see anything more than ~50 feet away. The first couple miles were an easy walk through flower-covered hills during the super bloom. The Western Ridge trail is heavily overgrown and difficult to find at times. I missed that this is a “mountaineers” route, and was unprepared for steep class-three+ scrambling in my trail runners. There was no view whatsoever today from the top due to the fog. The route down the Upper Cabin trail was much easier; however, the trail was heavily washed out in places (at times just a narrow trench). It was also so overgrown that I had to stoop over most of the way down to avoid low-hanging branches. At last, I came to the Danielson monument and it was an easy walk out from there for a recorded 9.8 miles total. I deducted two stars for the poor condition of the trail. See photos for more info.

Saturday, June 24, 2017