Upper and Lower Winter Creek Trail Loop

Upper and Lower Winter Creek Trail Loop is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Canyon has limited parking. The 3 lots all fill up early in the morning on weekends, although on weekdays there is usually a lot of space available. In case you find the lots completely filled, parking is allowed on the road, but each car MUST be entirely behind the white lane or it will be ticketed by the Forest Service, or towed if it blocks the road. Each car must also display a Forest Service Adventure Pass or it will be ticketed, whether it's on the road or in one of the lots. There is often parking available at the pack station for a $5.00 fee, and an Adventure Pass is not required to park there.

My Buddy and I biked this trail this hot morning. Started at 7 Am parking was full, lots of hikers ........No bears but we did see lots squirrels a hawk and lots of butterflies!..... definitely cooler in the lower parts .....Dear Hikers please coordinate with bicyclists for safe passage in the narrow sandy trail parts .....! Dear cycling brothers hang a bell on your bikes it makes hikers aware of your presence.....stay safe and hydrated......love light and good vibes from Victor!!!

Beautiful trail. We did see a brown bear. Too close for comfort. Made lots of noise. All are safe.

favorite hike in L.A so far!

Camped at Hoegees Trail Camp this past weekend 6/23/18-6/24/18. Plenty of water at camp to filter and it wasn’t that crowded. Arrived at the campground in the morning of 6/23, upon arrival the camp was full but everyone was packing up to head out and around 9:00 AM I had the campground to myself till 1:00PM when a couple of other backpackers rolled in for the evening. However there were plenty of day hikers passing through.
In the early evening a huge brown bear came strolling through that also scared a few day hikers off of the trail into the camp, we managed to scare it off after a lot of yelling. However, the bear came back later in the evening and ending up getting my bear bag that was hanging from a tree, not sure how I managed to sleep through it bur some other campers that were up said the bear went after the line and was able to drop the bag, WTF? Anyways my bag was gone as well as a few other camper’s food bags as I found what was left of my bear bag on the hike out along with several other torn up food bags. The next time I come I’ll probably bring a bear canister.

Nice steady hike. Only went as far as Hoegee’s campground then turned backed. Didn’t see a waterfall. Watch for mountain bikers up/down trail.

it was a nice hike but it's farther than it says on the app and there was no waterfall at the end because they're wasn't much water but it's a nice hike and just enough shade

We did this loop this last weekend and really enjoyed it! I found this hike to be much less difficult than initially described. There were a few steeper hills but, overall, it was a very gradual ascent and descent. The scenery was beautiful and the dam structures were incredible and looked like something from an abandoned city! The only complaint I have was that there were several cabins along this 5 mile loop (which we assumed were available for rent). Seeing these took me out of the moment, so to speak. Some people were staying there and listening to some loud music which was a little disruptive as were were trying to enjoy being away from the city hustle and bustle. There are a ton of trails up here and we’ll be back to try some more!

WHY IS THIS LISTED AS A 4.4 MILE LOOP!?!?!??! The map and GPX file are at LEAST double that and must be planned for accordingly. A beautiful hike for sure, we had a bit of a close call with a rattlesnake and something rather large was also kicking rocks down from a sleep slope above us which made things interesting.

Regardless this is a beautiful hike and area. Parking is a mess of course and don't forget that if you Uber to/from you may have issues getting cell connection to Uber back. Luckily the stand at the beginning/end has wifi so that was a savior for us!

It was absolutely an amazing hike with breathtaking views and scenery! My dog was so happy to be accompanying me. I’ve only hiked it one time and plan on going back to clime it in reverse!

This is one of my favorite hikes ever. I come back all the time especially in the summer months.

Really nice hike! Lots of shade and wild flowers.

lots of fallen trees off trail and one at the campgrounds in the beginning but still nice trail.

Nice hike!

the trail down to the waterfall has a lot of shade but coming back is a lot of uphill also we got within 75 yards of the hermit Falls and the last part of the trail is almost too difficult none of us wanted to go up it but next week we're going to do Sturtevant Falls it's worth the trip

Nice

Nice loop for beginning hikers. Lots of shade and some nice scenery. Can be combined with Mt. Zion Loop or even with hike to summit of Mt. Wilson. Lots of options.

Nice Hike! Lots of cool little cabins and dams along the creek. I regret not taking the little detour to Sturtevant falls though :(

Great hike. As others have said the description on this hike is NOT 4.4 miles. Ended up doing 8 miles today. If you hike to the falls and hike back that is about 4.4 miles as an OUT AND BACK trail. Not a loop. Tried to do the loop as described without a map and it took way longer than expected.

Chantry Flats our favorite go to any trail here is a good trail. Draw back parking sucks! Get there early, or maybe Uber to and from from the REI on Santa Anita, pack station has WiFi.

Did the loop yesterday as it's one of our favorites. Quite a bit of water in the creeks but pretty easy to cross. The lower trail is almost entirely in the shade and not too busy once you get to the junction. Hogee's Campground is the perfect rest spot (several picnic tables) before returning on the upper trail. Sorry to see the outhouses are locked (one had its door smashed open). I always enjoy the panoramic views on the upper trail where the canopy opens and the descent starts.

This hike was great!! I took my golden on a Wednesday. Only ran into a few people on the trails. It’s amazing how much canopy there is so close to LA. I needed that!

We used this as a trial run with our gear this past Sunday. wonderful amounts of vegetation on the lower trail. lots of little crossings that are very easy. because of the recent rain they're lots of fallen trees and loose dirt on certain sections. was a wonderful day to hike up make lunch n hike out. get there early or add a mile to your hike from parking.

I was surprised by the lower part of the loop: lots of water...creek crossings, pools, etc. Very nice. Plan on doing an out and back to Mt. Zion sometime soon via lower WC trail. Looks like it is about 6 miles RT.

My favorite of all hikes

Good balance of grades

This is a pretty straightforward hike. Parking sucks unless you get there between 6-7am and requires a parking pass. My favorite part of the hike is toward the top where you’re surrounded by greenery everywhere. Hardly feels like you’re in LA.

Please be advised that the route in the “description” section is NOT 4.7 miles!! That distance is more in line with Hoagee’s to Upper Winter Canyon. The route described was almost 10.5 miles. That being said, it’s a super nice area to hike in. Get there EARLY as parking will fill up before 6:30am on the weekends.

Good trail, however I feel they should maintain the toilet facilities much better since that’s what the “adventure pass” is for

Nice trail! Beautiful sights and sounds. Camp Hoegee was pleasant.

I've been hiking this trail for years, close to home and great little conditioning hike or just to enjoy nature for a while I suggest you go mid week as parking lot is full by early morning on weekends