Unal Trail

Unal Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wofford Heights, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this trail by myself in April and it was a great time. It’s short but worth it. The hike is mostly uphill until you reach the summit, with beautiful views along the way. Once you reach the summit there’s a great spot for lunch and many have shared their memories and thoughts of this hike on a notebook that is in a tin container on top of the summit. All in all great hike can’t wait to do it again :)

Loved this trail! We ended up going further then the map showed, missing the first left turn that completed the loop. Actually glad we did that though, as there is a second turn that loops further around the mountain where you gain an extra 300-500 ft in elevation, and it spits you back out into the main road. From there you get a great view of Lake Isabella! Still about 6" of snow on the back side of the mountain in the end of March.

After hearing we got some snow, decided to give the trail a try in hopes of having some snow along the trail. Pleasantly surprised to see the entire landscape blanketed. 3-6 inches along the trial. A bit strenuous with the snow otherwise the trail would be fairly straightforward.

It was raining the entire time, heavy fog, I went with my father and older brother very early in the morning and we had the trail all to ourselves. We were completely alone. We saw wild deer, bear tracks, birds. Sure we got all cold, wet, footwear muddy, etc. but that only added to the adventure. What a great GREAT time we had. Like everything else in life, it is what you make it.

I am looking to repeatedly return again.

Hiked on 1/6/18 and did some geochaching along the trails. I would say that this is great for older kids, as there is some spotted elevation climbing going up. Great views along the trail of Lake Isabella. Our views at the top were obstructed as a neat fog/light shower storm rolled in! Will go again in the spring!

Love this trail! Just the right amount of incline and beautiful views throughout the whole way!

Came here for a day hike with my dogs. There is a small dirt parking lot with two picnic benches across from the trailhead. Interpretive trail guides are available at the trailhead. Very pretty hike that climbs steeply at first, and takes you through stands of pines, cedars, and firs. The view from the top is worth the trek, especially near sunset. There is a park bench at the top. I would rate this hike moderate due to the elevation gain.

Great trail, pack layers. Weather is funny here.

Excellent, safe, and beautiful hiking trail! Highly recommend this enjoyable hike. Very easy path to follow with beautiful views of Lake Isabella.

Nice trail. Easy hiking, great with kids. Lots of tree cover so not many views but where you can see it is great. Very enjoyable.

My mom and I loved this trail! We've lived nearby for many, many years and never knew it was there because we'd usually only go to the mountain for the snow! It was a great trail - just challenging enough to feel like a hike and very scenic in places. You do have to share the trail with mountain bikers, but they're usually very aware of pedestrians, so just pay attention and share the trail. I still can't believe such beautiful wilderness was right in our backyard this whole time!

Very nice trail - thoroughly enjoyed hiking this one solo.

Gradual elevation for half of hike which I would say makes it more moderate. But it is a relatively easy hike. Beautiful views along the way and at the peak.

Easy well-marked trail. Headed up around 5pm and never saw another soul. Caught the sunset at the top, needed flashlights for last 20mins or so. Absolutely beautiful.
End of June- pleasant temps and breeze

This is a great family and dog friendly trail that is easily accessible and offers significant relief from the heat of the surrounding area. There is plenty of shade along the entire route. The trail is easy to follow the entire way, clearly marked, with no obstacles. Most people chose to do this one clockwise. Take a moment to relax at Unal summit, where there is a bench and fun items to check out at the top, not to mention sweeping views of the surrounding area. This is a must-do hike in the area!

Absolutely beautiful trail. Easy incline. My dog came with me and it was a great hike for him too. The entire area was pretty abandoned so he was off-leash, but not sure if this is exactly within the rules. The little treasures at the top were truly heart warming.

Love woodsy smell. nice trail. Great weather.

Good beginner trail. This is my first hike, the start of my new hobby. Really enjoyed this trail.

Really perfect weather. We went at around 11am and had the trail all to ourselves. It was incredibly peaceful and relaxing.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

A beautiful scenic trail. Loved it! We walked the whole 3.3 miles and it was breath taking.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great hike. The snow and some fallen trees hid the trail at times but the posts along the trail helped. The posts don't seem to be even spaced and the last one we saw was number 24.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

A great hike for anyone to enjoy themselves and take in the view from the top. There was lots of snow which gave an added experience. Definitely will be doing this hike again in the spring!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

I had not been hiking in many years and not in the best shape so this hike was perfect for me to get back into hiking. the trail was covered in snow and very pretty.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

great family friendly trail.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Did this trail about a week ago it was so beautiful and the weather was perfect! Not to mention the air is so crisp and clean

Sunday, October 09, 2016

This one is a jewel! We weren't expecting it to be in the real forest, and were very surprised by it. It's well marked and easy to follow, and there are brochures (there were actually some in there) that allow you to take a walking tour of the trail. It's and odd one though, as the peak is 3/4's of the way through instead of half, so although you're climbing for a while, it does end. Geocachers have a little surprise at the top, too. Should be great for snoeshowing, which will be our next stop there.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Great little hike on July 16. Perfect place to get out of the valley heat in the summer. We took the loop portion clockwise, which is the recommended route. Great view from the top both directions.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great hike. There was a tree down over the path so we had to go up a clearing near the peak of the trail. The forest firefighters were there clearing the trail. I expect the original path to be clear next time I go up.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I Completed the loop with a couple of experienced climbers in little over an hour before Memorial Day. It's a great beginners hike. The trail is well marked but a tree blocked the trail near the top. No biggie getting around it, though. Easy and fun hike for all ages and hikers.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Beautiful trail even on a windy day. Head of the trail is clearly marked just past the fire ranger station. Clouds were nice rolling overhead. Don't miss the summit after getting to the clearing -- it will be to the right. Had a tree across the trail towards the top so be careful. The wildflowers were everywhere. It was so refreshing!