Twin Rocks Trail

Twin Rocks Trail is a 26.5 mile out and back trail located near Santa Maria, California and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first few miles of this trail allow off road driving. At the 3.5 miles a gate blocks all traffic but hiking and horseback riding.

off road driving

Some beautiful scenery on this trail. It’s an out and back only trail for OHV/ATV/4WD. At the 3.5 miles a gate blocks all traffic but hiking and horseback riding.

The trail is red clay and stone and has several deeply rutted and narrow climbs on large smooth rock and slick surfaces. Some of these are on sheer ledges with a sizable drop so without proper control of wheel spin one could quickly get into an unrecoverable, bailout situation and lose their vehicle.

I wouldn’t recommend this trail for SUVs without a lockable 4WD and 6 inches of clearance, MINIMUM. Also, expect some scrapes and scratches from bushes, etc because this trail is very narrow in many places!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Like stated before. I would not consider this trail as easy. Some steep hills that would be better for Modified vehicles with at least 33 inch tires for traction. Do expect scratches from branches. As of 8/13/17 the gate was closed less then half way forcing us to turn right back. Still a pretty fun and mild trail.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Definitely not an "easy" trail. Depending on what your driving it can be pretty difficult. 4x4 is a must and a lift preferred. the road is washed out with gravel, rocks and ruts. Some decent inclines and some narrow stretches. If you've got a good setup this should be fairly moderate. Overall a good time!

Monday, May 01, 2017

It's listed as easy. It isn't easy! In my Subaru Outback within a few minutes I got to risky to go by myself. I think my Outback could of made it but would of needed a person to guide me. So I quickly turned around. I advice have at least 12 inch ground clearance 4x4. If you have 2 wheel drive you better be skilled.