Learn more

Twin Peaks via Sawmill Pond OHV Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(70)
Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit

Twin Peaks via Sawmill Pond OHV Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Note: Official opening of this trail is May 15, 2019. Please refer to park page for information/updates.

ohv/off road driving

Made it to the top and back in a stock volvo XC60 without a scratch. Not for the faint of heart tho ;)

ohv/off road driving

Super fun trail! Wish it was longer. Completed in my 2017 Tacoma TRD off-road with 3 inch lift and 33" BFG K02 with ease.

definitely more of an off road trail. about 6 cars passes us on the way up. besides that it offers pretty great views. moderately difficult mostly because of a solid incline on the way up but pretty doable. my ankles have a hard time with tough terrain sometimes and this was pretty good, sandy road the whole way.

Moderately for a beginner, I went way off trail in the beginning and wouldn’t recommend it.

ohv/off road driving

Really sweet trail. It’s short and opens up a nice view at the top. We did it in a stock 4Runner without a problem, though, we did bypass the rock gardens. On the trail, there are a few ruts that required some negotiating, but it was easy compared to the other trails that were snowy and wet at the end of May.

ohv/off road driving

The gates opened yesterday! I did a run today... so much fun. The 1st rock garden was challenging for me; I was alone with no spotter. The 2nd rock garden was more than I wanted to take on without a spotter and 2nd vehicle. I did come down part of the 2nd rock garden and on one section my front right wheel lost contact with the ground. My Jeep had to tip very far forward before it found footing. When it did the back left wheel came off the ground. So I was pivoting on just two wheels at one point. It was a sphincter tightening moment. And so much fun!

Easy trail, good for families. Awesome view at the top can see both Tallac and the lake

ohv/off road driving

Great trail. Wish it was longer. Completed in my stock 2019 Tacoma trd off-road. Had to bypass the two more difficult obstacles. Need a lift and better tires. Had a blast though.

ohv/off road driving

The trail was a blast. You can have fun on parts of the trail like the “twister” or use the bypass around those areas. Great views from the top. Bring some snacks and drinks to hang out on the large rock formations at the top. You’ll accomplish everything within an hour or two and close to town.

ohv/off road driving

Fairly easy with the exception of a potholed out section early on. I made it through with a stock-ish 4th gen 4Runner (1.75” front lift w/ 32” BFG KO2’s) no problem, but chose your line carefully. I saw a couple people trying to get through in car-based crossover SUV’s and I wouldn’t recommend that. Beautiful views at the top.

ohv/off road driving

Nice trail, very easy. Great view of the airport where you can watch planes and helicopters come and go.

ohv/off road driving

Power Wagon didn’t care. Good clearance is a must and good articulation. Our 2018 power wagon is stock with rock sliders. Some cool challenging stuff. Great views from the top. I would do it again.

ohv/off road driving

The very first uphill section is largely pot holed out so deep, we couldn’t pass it with a 2019 4Runner TRD off road. A lot of reviews say it’s easy and doable, but I’ll have to get a lift for that to happen. The potholes looked intentionally dug deep, and I did not see a bypass for this very first section, bummed.

Very doable, fun and approachable trail with amazing panoramic views of the Tahoe area. Some optional offshoots that would be quite challenging if you wanted to try them. Bring beers for the top!

I have walked, run, driven and rode this trail one thousand times! I have even run my RC cars up it. If your up in Tahoe and you need a quick, short OHV trail to explore, this one is perfect. halfway up you have the choice of taking the easier way up or the hard, rocky way up. once your at the top, you certainly do have a view, but not of anything too spectacular, you can see Lake Tahoe to an extent. All in all, if your in Tahoe and need a quick fix for a trail, it's worth while.

Fri Jul 05 2019

Great moderate trail on the way in South Tahoe. A little lift will help you get through a few tricky sections, but there’s nothing too difficult. Great scenic views. Definitely one to check out if you have an hour or two to spare.

Mon Jul 01 2019

Views are beautiful! It’s a vehicle trail first, and a walking trail second. So when motorcycle etc. come by be sure to step to side. I’m giving it a 4 bc the road is like moon dust and is slippery with gravel on a few parts, so be careful bc my friend fell... Other than that the views are lovely!

Wed Jun 26 2019

This is a beautiful trail. There are some options once you get to the top to extend the drive. There are beautiful views.

Thu Jun 13 2019

Fun little gem super close to South Lake Tahoe. I ran it in an open diff Jeep Cherokee on 35s and it was all easy (definitely eye balling those cool rock gardens that have been built though! Both are really technical and would take lockers, armor, and aired down tires). Buddy ran it in a Tacoma with a locked rear and 31s no problem as well. Overall, just a fun trail that can be down in about an hour up and back but you’re gonna want to enjoy the incredible views at the top! Only reason this wasn’t a 5 star rating is because there’s really nothing up top but a spot to turn around. The views are definitely incredible though and you can pretty much make it as difficult a ride as you want!

Tue May 14 2019

Update... Land Management dude went up and cleared trail. Official opening is 5/15 but we just went up. No snow super fun. This damn gate is closed too!!!!! WTF

Sat Jan 12 2019

Gate closed

Tue Nov 06 2018

Great short trail in my stock Gr Cherokee. One tough spot early on that made my wife want to jump out, but coming back and taking a better line made it easy. View was amazing at the top. Definitely will do this trail again.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Really great for our first off road driving experience. beautiful views. loved it

Sat Oct 13 2018

Trail is solid, my Tacoma with 4wd made it to the top no problem, wide vehicles may have trouble on some boulders you have to pass between. Two small technical areas and the rest is very calm and fun! **You will not be the only ones in the trail so take it slow. Motorcyclists and hikers are hard to see through the trees, I recommend having your lights on as well...

Mon Sep 17 2018

Fun little trail. Took the kids in the rzr. There is only one technical spot with large boulders, but the trail bypasses it. The view from top is awesome. 4x4 is necessary, and higher than stock clearance is recommended