Twin Peaks Trail

Twin Peaks Trail is a 1.6 mile out and back trail located near Poway, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lots of false trails

This was my first time on this trail and I went to go see the sunset. Make sure to not park in the gated parking lot as their is a sign that the indicates the parking lot is open from sunrise to sunset; however, when I arrived back from my hike after sunset, the gates were still open, but I would recommend parking along the street to be sure.

I took several photos of the trail and posted them. The trail is pretty wide at the start and starts to narrow, get more technical, and steeper towards to the top. I would be a challenge for kids 8/9 yo and younger. It's only about 0.8 miles to the top and once there, you can capture a 360 deg view. It's a little challenging to find the route going down that is on the south side of the peak, so if you may want to go up that way and down the north side. I recommend this trail, it's a quick payoff to stunning views.

A great trail for training. Beautiful view from the top. Challenging climbing and descending. And it's a loop. Heads up, there are many branch trails. Use the map on this app on your first hike

There are LA builders trying to build on this trail. Please Sign the Petition! Thank you!!

www.thepetitionsite.com/891/602/480/preserve-twin-peaks/#updated

Great hike. Hard to find the trail to the very top. Not clearly marked. The hike is well worth it. Great views when you reach the top.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

This is a great hike. Like most of the reviews, it does get a bit confusing near the summit. Fortunately you'll have a phone signal the whole time, so using this app will help you navigate the loop. We got a little bit lost on the way down and had to bushwhack a bit to get back to the trail. The hike is a great departure from the "shopping mall" atmosphere of nearby Mt. Woodson and Iron Mountain... It feels quite remote and rugged, despite being flanked by a residential neighborhood. We saw only 2 other people out here on a Saturday afternoon. I would recommend pants instead of shorts due to how narrow the trail gets in spots. I kind of like the fact that this hike makes you stop and think, and use your sense of navigation when the terrain becomes rugged and confusing. I'll definitely do this one again.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great hike! Some decent inclines and amazing wildlife. Saw rabbits, quail, lizards, hawks, etc. Gets a little easy to lost the trail at the top.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A quick hike, lost the trail by the summit, had to scramble over some rocks...fun times!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Rock climbing at the top. Not for me.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

It's a good hike to start with...rather than going to a longer and higher elevations ...

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Fun, even though I got lost. I thought I was on the trail but my choices seemed to parallel the mapped trail fairly often. No worries though - keep going up until you want to start coming down. You're not truly bush whacking but once off the fire road the trail isn't exactly 'marked'. Plenty of previous hiker's footprints helped lead the way.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Great views. The trail starts from the park and is mostly a service road until a single track splits off about half way up. It's not marked so good luck with that. Not sure if you follow the service road where it goes. My two kids, 8 and 5, made it to the top no problem.

Friday, March 08, 2013

If you don't have time for Mt. Woodson or Iron Mountain. This is an excellent alternative. The trailhead is conveniently located and very easily found. The terrain is steep & rocky at times perfect for a good workout. It's only around 2 miles RT which took us about an hr to hike up and back. You are rewarded with 360 deg views of San Diego. I highly recommend this trails for those who just have about an 1 hour to hike.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

My son and I made the mistake of climbing up here too late in the day, and it was sunset by the time we reached the top. That meant descending back to the trailhead (located at a small neighborhood park) in complete darkness. Good thing we had enough battery power in our iPhones to launch our flashlight apps.

Other than that, this is a nice moderate hike. We did this during the week late in the afternoon, and we were the only ones hiking this peak. The hiking trail is wide and well-defined, but when you get to the trail that leads off the main one, it becomes very narrow and at times not very well defined. Which led me to think that this isn't a very well-traveled path.

It would be nice if they had more signs from midway to the top. The beginning of the trail had signs and even a few benches for resting. Other than that you were pretty much on your own beyond that point.

I'll have to do this climb again under better circumstances. But if you're looking for a peak to climb within Poway and a quick escape into the wilderness, this is a good place, and the views are quite nice at the top.