Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 13.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Fir, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Big Stump Entrance: Follow Highway 180 northward 1.5 miles to Generals Highway. Turn right on Generals Highway and follow it 25 miles to the turn for Lodgepole Campground. Turn left and travel .75 miles to the campground. Park in the lot near the Log Bridge. Cross the log bridge and look for the trailhead sign.

We did this hike about 2 months ago in August though the mosquitos were the worst it was still a very beautiful hike one lake was more like a pond and the other was somewhat small it was still so peaceful and pretty. the hike it’s self was very strenuous and I’d recommend being in shape!! There was a lot of steep parts and with a heavy pack it sure made it a challenge. Late summer was the time to go there were sill many streams and creeks flowing and in the spring it seems like the larger creeks would be hard to cross safely

I found this trail to be hard, only because I'm a couch potato and am not used to carrying 30 pounds, 3000 feet, up 7 miles. Once I got to the top, I realized how worth it, it was.

Beautiful trail. Plenty of uphill to keep your legs warm, and you'll need it! When I reached the lakes yesterday there was 2" of snow on the ground. The clouds rolled in around 4 and made for a surreal experience! By morning skies were clear and the temp was below freezing.

Good overnight trip.

We took the Mt. Silliman trail up Silliman creek to get to Mt. Silliman. it was a decent hike until we hit the granite slabs. We had to switchback our way up several sections of granite slabs. 2000 ft. of mountain side to be exact. It was no easy feat.
At the top was Silliman Lake and it was beautiful and another 1000 ft of elevation gain will get you to the top of the mountain. Going down the mountainside could've been easily dangerous if you took things to fast. Very steep. After it's all said and done, I would not go back as the mountainside almost killed me.

a beast of a climb but better than i imagined after reading the review...

Amazing trail

Just came back from this trail slept for 2 nights 7/26 - 7/28. I brought a friend first time backpacker and he had a blast! The uphill is challenging for beginning backpackers, but very rewarding at the top. We saw a couple deer and tons of other wild life. Fishing was great - we didn't catch anything, but could see the about 6-10 inch fish swimming through the clear water. We also saw 4 other groups staying at the lake, but it's secluded for the most part and everyone is very respectful of noise and space. The following morning I made the 1.5 miles trek uphill to Silliman Pass, the view was absolutely gorgeous at the top looking to both sides of the peaks and there were still small patches of snow. Great opportunity for photos! No fires allowed at the lake due to elevation, however you can have a fire about 2 miles back down the trail near the stream which is where we stayed the following night. The following day was a leisure hike back down the hill took 3 hours compared to the 6 hour climb the first day. Overall great backpacking experience!

Just got home from this great hike. Pretty steep and if you plan an making it a out and back same day adventure highly recommend not overpacking. The lakes and streams are full up and there is still some snow up past about 9k so expect to run to that in the wooded areas. Trail has quite a bit of standing water so if your not on the athletic side expect wet shoes. Flowers are in bloom and the meadows are in full swing. Ran into two deer on the downhill return, both on the trail, so expect to see some wildlife. Bring plenty of water as it gets warm on the uphill portions.

P.S. For some quick foot relief swing by the base of the bridge and get your feet wet. Great cooldown after hoofing it.