Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 13.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Fir, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Big Stump Entrance: Follow Highway 180 northward 1.5 miles to Generals Highway. Turn right on Generals Highway and follow it 25 miles to the turn for Lodgepole Campground. Turn left and travel .75 miles to the campground. Park in the lot near the Log Bridge. Cross the log bridge and look for the trailhead sign.

Completed this hike on 6-16-2018. The trail has consistent up climbing for the first 3 miles. It’s not too bad until the elevation gets to you. The trail was easy to follow and we only crossed a hand full of hikers. The hike itself is not done for the views but once you arrive at the lakes, you won’t regret it. The bugs aren’t too bad but if you stop for any length of time on any part of the trail, you will have a swarm of mosquitos around you. Make sure you bring bug spray and sun screen.

We hiked in with a lunch and about 1 gallon of water and the hike took a total of 8 hours. That time included exploration at the lakes, a hike around the lake and plenty of picture breaks. If you are going to do the hike in a day, I would suggest following the trail to the 10k mark of elevation to see the lake from above. We hiked in the rocks to the east of the lake as high as we could but it would have been nice to make it to the top of the rock rim.

The trail is not as steep as the summit lake hike out of shake camp in the sequoia national park. The trail does not have any surprises but the main river crossing at least around this time may be difficult for those who don’t want to get wet. I’m sure later on it will dry up a bit to stop that issue.

Lastly, I completed a 4 mile hike 7 months prior and had very little preparation for this hike. I was able to complete it with energy to spare but I did need a few days to recuperate. Anyone with any amount of experience can complete this hike.

Love this hike

We did this hike about 2 months ago in August though the mosquitos were the worst it was still a very beautiful hike one lake was more like a pond and the other was somewhat small it was still so peaceful and pretty. the hike it’s self was very strenuous and I’d recommend being in shape!! There was a lot of steep parts and with a heavy pack it sure made it a challenge. Late summer was the time to go there were sill many streams and creeks flowing and in the spring it seems like the larger creeks would be hard to cross safely

I found this trail to be hard, only because I'm a couch potato and am not used to carrying 30 pounds, 3000 feet, up 7 miles. Once I got to the top, I realized how worth it, it was.

Beautiful trail. Plenty of uphill to keep your legs warm, and you'll need it! When I reached the lakes yesterday there was 2" of snow on the ground. The clouds rolled in around 4 and made for a surreal experience! By morning skies were clear and the temp was below freezing.

Good overnight trip.

We took the Mt. Silliman trail up Silliman creek to get to Mt. Silliman. it was a decent hike until we hit the granite slabs. We had to switchback our way up several sections of granite slabs. 2000 ft. of mountain side to be exact. It was no easy feat.
At the top was Silliman Lake and it was beautiful and another 1000 ft of elevation gain will get you to the top of the mountain. Going down the mountainside could've been easily dangerous if you took things to fast. Very steep. After it's all said and done, I would not go back as the mountainside almost killed me.

a beast of a climb but better than i imagined after reading the review...

Amazing trail

Just came back from this trail slept for 2 nights 7/26 - 7/28. I brought a friend first time backpacker and he had a blast! The uphill is challenging for beginning backpackers, but very rewarding at the top. We saw a couple deer and tons of other wild life. Fishing was great - we didn't catch anything, but could see the about 6-10 inch fish swimming through the clear water. We also saw 4 other groups staying at the lake, but it's secluded for the most part and everyone is very respectful of noise and space. The following morning I made the 1.5 miles trek uphill to Silliman Pass, the view was absolutely gorgeous at the top looking to both sides of the peaks and there were still small patches of snow. Great opportunity for photos! No fires allowed at the lake due to elevation, however you can have a fire about 2 miles back down the trail near the stream which is where we stayed the following night. The following day was a leisure hike back down the hill took 3 hours compared to the 6 hour climb the first day. Overall great backpacking experience!

Just got home from this great hike. Pretty steep and if you plan an making it a out and back same day adventure highly recommend not overpacking. The lakes and streams are full up and there is still some snow up past about 9k so expect to run to that in the wooded areas. Trail has quite a bit of standing water so if your not on the athletic side expect wet shoes. Flowers are in bloom and the meadows are in full swing. Ran into two deer on the downhill return, both on the trail, so expect to see some wildlife. Bring plenty of water as it gets warm on the uphill portions.

P.S. For some quick foot relief swing by the base of the bridge and get your feet wet. Great cooldown after hoofing it.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Awesome 2 day backpacking trip, even though it rained the last half the scenery with the two beautiful lakes was worth it. Would love to go a day further and make it to Ranger Lake down the trail. Wasn't very hard, only if you're new to backpacking or out of shape. Definitely one to add to the to do list

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Absolutely breath taking when you get there. we started at lodgepole. the first stretch was quite a climb up. we ended going up to the pass just past the lakes and it was beautiful up there. highly suggest that if you have the energy

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

LOVE this trail! We started behind the Wuksachi Lodge and joined the TL trail about a mile and a half in. Camped next to the meadow on night 1 - wildlife everywhere! Awoke to see a black bear on the far side of the meadow, just going about his morning. Hiked up to the lakes and enjoyed a very quiet and beautiful evening at one of the great campsites. A few others were camping nearby (it IS pretty popular after all!), but everyone was quiet and respectful of each other. Again, plenty of wildlife to be seen and enjoyed, both in the evening and on the way down the next morning. We saw another black bear on the way back - made sure that he noticed us, and he simply went about his own business. Lots of places to stop and max out your camera's memory card on this amazing medium-difficulty hike. Highly recommended - especially if you're bringing somebody along that is relatively new to backpacking.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Enjoyed this trail!!! Running and hiking!!! Can't wait to camp there and hike all the way to the top of those mountains!!!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great trail! Went in early October and the weather was perfect! Woke up with ice on the ground though, so bring warm clothes. Also, fishing at the Big Lake was AMAZING! The Brook Trout were beautiful! Just make sure to have barbless hooks, the fish are too precious to hurt.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Had a blast running this trail. One of the best trails around!

Friday, August 05, 2016

This was the first trail I ever really hiked (June 2015) and probably my most favorite so far. Amazing views and the scenery changes as you climb. The final climb to the lakes was rough but well worth it.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail. We climbed the rock by the second lake and it was beautiful. We found two rocks that had a far drop in between and jumped over it.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

great backpacking trip one of the most scenic jaw-dropping views you will get this hike will test you physically and mentally make sure you pack well and lite.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

We loved this trail. It was worth the trip and the views were beautiful. Friday was perfect with no smoke impact. Saturday we headed up to Silliman pass to ranger lake, but at the top there was increase smoke impact from the fire in the canyon. By Saturday evening the smoke was had come over the ridge into Twin Lakes and our camp site. If your heading up there anytime soon checkout the status of the Rough Fire and trail conditions first.
In all this is definitely a must do in Sequoia National Park.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

A great trail that starts out in thick woods all around you. We took a split off to the right at Silliman Creek and fallowed a used trail to Mt. Silliman (11188') beautiful views and totally worth the effort. The sky was filled with the haze of the nearby fires burning in the Jenny Lakes Wilderness.

Friday, August 28, 2015

My first backpacking trip was here and I loved it so much it became my second trip also. There are so many changes in scenery you won't ever be bored. Two great campsites you can stop at before the lake are at the cahoots meadows and clover creek. Be warned, the hike can be very tiring if you are just a casual hiker. The elevation climb along with the thin air can have you gasping at times. Then again, my friends and I are smokers. . . Anyways, this trail is by far my favorite as of right now but there are many more to explore so we will see.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Really beautiful forests in the lower miles, nice meadows as you work your way up, and we even saw a couple bears on the way up and back down, fyi. It's a pretty hefty climb, so cut out as much weight from your pack as you can! Fishing was decent, plenty of catches, but it was all smaller 7-9 inch trout, so we didn't eat all that well;) Some fun, easy bouldering to be done on the chute leading up from the base of the larger lake. We went on a July weekend, and there were plenty of people up there, but there's enough space around the lake that you can easily find a spot of your own and feel some seclusion. We got a lot of rain, and after going to Jenny Lake to finish our trip, glancing at the storm movement, it really seems like the rain clouds like to gather right around the twin lakes in the afternoons. The weather seemed to pass us by at Jenny.

All in all, a great area to spend a weekend or more!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

I love this hike. There is a variety of terrain and views. Wonderful meadows and difficult switchbacks!
The forest is beautiful. The lake was serene until I saw a thundercloud accumulating atop the mountain. At which point I decided to head back. The rain chased me out the whole way. And I heard thunder.....
Made it out safe!! Have fun!

Monday, July 22, 2013

I loved this hike for overnight backpacking....lots of bugs but the view is incredible. The hike is awesome and can be done as a day hike. Ive even seen bears on the lower portions of this trail. Beautiful forest.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Overall an awesome Lake and trail all together. We backpacked it a few weeks back 4/10/13 and it was still frozen over with a 3-5 foot base of snow. We were fly fishing with BWO's and the fish were biting majorly on the one side where the ice had melted. Moderate but not demanding hike, and I will be visiting Twin Lakes again during summer months. Clover creek campground is 2 miles before Twin and allows fires, as does the lower campground before the river crossing. Smaller lake to the left also had great fishing.

Monday, October 01, 2012

This was my first overnighter. In fact, it was my first hike ever. Was supposed to head to Pear Lake but no fires were prohibited. We found out no fires allowed at Twin Lakes once we arrived. A difficult hike because we were moving briskly. I know, I have way more to see, but the lakes are well worth the effort. I will do it again in the future.