Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did an overnight trip this weekend and camped at Upper Twin Lake. Found a nice established camp up the hill on the north side of the lake. Awesome! Stone fire pit and logs for seating. Several areas to set up tent and a hammock. Perfect weekend! A bit chilly, but worth it!

Hiked this trail this past weekend (8/25/18). Started on the road at the Potter Pass trailhead and followed that all the to the Twin Lakes fork. Really easy to follow, no problem at all staying on the trail we needed. The weather was perfect, which made for a pretty busy trail. Not a big deal to us as everyone was quite friendly. The smoke and smog from the CA wildfires was not as bad as I thought and probably had an impact on the mosquito activity, we didn't see a single one of those buggers on our whole trip. We ended up going up to George Lake and eventually up to Kaiser Peak.

Went by Lower and Upper Twins to George Lake today (8/1). Trail in great shape and easy to navigate. No bugs, mosquitos or other irratants. How lucky can you get.

Upper twin lake is a great backpacking spot.

Probably the most beautiful, serene so far since moving here in Jan. 2018!! Absolutely NO REGRETS! So many beautiful blooms in the meadows, crystal clear water, just perfect! even the cows along the trail and the log bridge.

Beautiful Lakes at the end of a wonderful trail.

As others have already said, the trail was great with beautiful views, lakes, and foliage and is well kept and marked. In late July, two of us and my pup made it to Upper Twin Lake where we rested for a bit and then turned back, taking three and a half hours total. At the trail head there is a small parking lot and bathroom making the trail very easily accessible. The trail was mostly shaded with some sunny sections, but the weather was amazing the day we went.

Wow. This hike was amazing! I'm definitely a novice but I saw photos of this place and said "Screw it. I'm in". I took my cute pup and headed out to experience that view for myself. I also tracked my progress with my Apple Watch so you can see exactly how long it took for me to get there and come back (minus the 10 minutes I spent at the actual first lake and a few sit downs to catch my breath or snap a pic). It took me an hour and a half to get there, totaling 3 hours for the whole shebang. I realize that I obviously didn't see the second lake (if there is one), so it might have taken me less time than the whole hike is cut out to be. My ass hurts. What a great workout. What amazing views! And the foliage! Ugh. The lake was insane. It was like a movie. My pup and I were the only one there an it was almost eerie how quiet and peaceful it was. Scary almost when you choose to hike alone. I only encountered about 14 other people the whole way. Pretty chill. BUT HARD. Only in that it was the longest hike I've ever done, and I felt that my recent endevours on the stair stepper were no help. I definitely sweated, got winded, and my feet hurt after it all. But ohhhhhh it was worth it. Try it and you won't regret it!

Did this hike today with my husband, and we both loved it! The bugs were not too bad at all. We ended up taking the trail about a mile further to George Lake, and it is totally worth it! Total trip was 10 miles. Would recommend!!

A great hike full of wonderful views. Wildflowers everywhere! The lakes were gorgeous and the fish were biting. Lots of insects but the views are so worth it. Woodpeckers, butterflies, babbling brooks, charming bridges and good balance of sun and shade.

Beautiful trail with abundant wildflowers in several meadows.

Gorgeous trail. Recommend continuing to George Lake.

Only con was the amount of mosquitoes.

Awesome!

Well laid path and pretty easy hike.. Great Views.. But was windy and couldn't stay for long at the lake and it became very chill. I would suggest to avoid on a windy day. It was 16mph when I had hiked.

Beautiful views! The trail is clearly defined & easy to follow, but the dead trees are definitely a hazard that hikers should be aware of. I wouldn't want to hike this trail on a windy day.

Just finished this trail mid June 2018 and it was beautiful. No shortage of snowmelt for filtering water at upper twin, lakes were full of trout that bit all day, days were sunny and warm, and nights weren't too cold. There was still a bit of snow on the ground, but I doubt it will be for much longer with the days getting warmer.

Spent two nights on the south side of the lake and mosquitoes were pretty bad (the only reason I rated four stars instead of five). Sun hit camp in the morning briefly, it was in the shade most of the day until about 3:00, then it got pretty toasty with not a whole lot of shade, and sun set around 7.

Second day we hiked to George lake for a while. Nice and full with a nice little stream running next to the trail. Lots of snow in the drainages so cross-country from George to kaiser peak is pretty much impossible. In the end it was definitely a nice hike and some amazing views.

Just completed this backpacking trip on 6/2018 with the wifey and our 5 year old. Moderate hike, had its difficult parts but was very peaceful and rewarding to arrive at the upper twin lake and set up camp.

About more than half way we started to see snow which we were able to stop and hang out for a few. Took us just over 2 hrs to complete. Will do it again.

One of my favorite hikes! Lots of beautiful views. Snow capped peaks in the distance, meadows, streams, lakes, cool rock formations. I saw two mountain quail, a yellow-bellied marmot and there were trout in the lakes. I stuck my foot in the water to see if I wanted to swim but it was very cold (snow melt).

I got a little turned around when I got to the Kaiser wilderness sign. I didn’t see the trail right in front of me that goes down the gulch. Luckily I had my gps to help me out.

There was still snow on the ground in June on the second half of the hike but not enough to warrant any different gear.

Overall a great hike!

Great hike! Went Memorial Day weekend and large portions of the trail are still covered with snow. Might want to bring crampons to be on the safe side, but you don’t need them for most of the trail. The views are beautiful! Worth it

This twin lakes is also amazing!

I did my first backpacking trip on the trail in July 2017. That year the Sierras got an insane amount of snow, so there was still a lot on the ground, which made staying on the trail difficult. That was the only negative thing I can say about this trail.
The entire trip was amazing and I’ll defiantly be back once the snow melts.

This is my all time favorite place to be. This was my first backcountry hike and I fall in love with it more and more every time I go back. Paved trails and easy to navigate. I personally prefer Lower Twin, but Upper Twin is just as beautiful. Enjoy fishing in both lakes. I have also hiked the extra mile up to George which is a nice little lake too. I love this area. I absolutely recommend it!!!

Easy to moderate only because the snow at this time (11/26/17) made trekking more difficult as well as staying on trial as this was my first time attempting this trail. It took me an hour and a half at a casual constant pace with no breaks to reach the first lake. Beautiful scenery throughout as well as great fly fishing! Would definitely hike again!

Great trail. We’ve stayed at both upper twin and George Lakes. Both worth it, with great campsites and views. We made a YouTube video about it. Search Four Feet Up, George Lake. Hope you enjoy!

Great overnight with my family this past weekend. It's mid October and there is snow which made the trip more exciting for the kids. I was there earlier in the week for just a day hike and it hadn't snowed yet, so it was pretty fresh! The one thing that became a bit of a nuisance was all the horse poop we had to dodge along the trail. It was everywhere. If you go on an overnight, make sure you stay out long enough to do some star gazing!

Easy to moderate hike. Arrived at the trail head at 8am and it was cold. Fun hike,lots of shade. Lower Twin Lake nice clear water, Upper Twin Lake stunning and gorgeous.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Beautiful trail. Moderately difficult due to Potter's Pass. Both lower and upper Twin Lake are gorgeous. Plan for enough time to explore around upper as each side of the lake has great views! Always see dogs on this trail. There was still a lot of snow in July making the trail difficult to find at times but once the snow is clear it is very easy to follow the trail. Potter's Pass has a gorgeous panorama, perfect place to take a quick snack break.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Amazing views, fun lakes, shade most of the way, beautiful meadows, rewarding climbs, easy to follow the trail.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

I did this as a day hike in mid August and it was perfect! So many wildflowers along the trail and the lakes were beautiful. I definitely recommend going on to George Lake if you made it as far as Upper Twin, it's worth it! I'll absolutely be backpacking next time, I didn't want to leave!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

The lakes were beautiful as always. Fish were biting, but I wasn't able to catch anything. Mosquitos weren't too bad, we sprayed repellent and they left us alone after that.