Twin Lakes Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,584 feet Route Type: Out & Back

the trailhead is across the road from the parking lot. be prepared for a climb as for the first 2 miles is uphill. once you get to the top there's stunning views of Lake Huntington. there were some patches of snow and mud once you were heading down to the lakes but most of it you could get around. it was pretty chilly once we got down to the Lakes. I would definitely suggest dressing in layers. by far one of my favorite hikes and would highly recommend.

This is a great half-day hike to spend lunch at the upper lake. The trail had a handful of snow patches on the trail that are pretty solid, and you won’t sink more than shoe-deep in most spots. The lakes are a great place to hang out and hammock

5/30/2020 it was a brisk 55 degrees and VERY windy. A light jacket would have been nice to have. There were small patches of snow on the trails but not enough to make the trail not distinguishable. There were some muddy spots that you could easily get around and a few small stream crossings that are very doable. We have hiked and backpacked this trail multiple times and we absolutely love it! The views are spectacular.

Great trail with great views patches of snow still on the ground once passing potter pass but trail is still easy to follow Gps/ avenza not needed but is nice to have if you dont have a good sense of direction Maybe wait a couple more weeks if you plan on wearing sneakers I wore boots and they were semi soaked by the time i got back to the vehicle Enjoy!

With the snow covering the trail, this became hard instead of moderate. Yes, there may be some visible footsteps in the snow but signage is very minimum. Highly suggest having a satellite gps. If it wasn’t for another pair of hikers who had one, we may have given up. On the way back, we decided to go straight up to a peak to best sunset. Scary! I personally do not enjoy snow.

icy

As of 5/23/2020 snow patches along the trail . Once you make it about 2.5 miles, about half ways it is completely covered in snow heading towards the lake. It’s doable but covered in snow. Footprints pathways left behind from previous people who went down etc. Overall great views .

The Twin Lakes were amazing, i especially enjoyed the lower twin lakes. The mountain there is picture perfect. The trails however were covered with snow. It’s melting and it should go away by next week. Went down from the top Saturday morning and greeted by crowds (perhaps due to memorial day). Glad we left a day early, otherwise we put ourselves at risk.

anyone know if this trail is still snowed out? 5/15/20

As of 5/13 there was still quite a bit of snow and decided not to hike it.

Make sure you have your gps,trail is still 90% snow covered

Favorite hike! 8.7 miles for me today. Got a little off trail on the big rock candy mountain (quartz)..... never found the cave, but others did. Water is cool and beautiful the Shakers are on fire with golden leaves!

Great trail. Perfect weather.

Beautiful trail to the lakes. Not too hard. Ate lunch on the rocks. Highly suggest this for a quick 8 miler.

This is a great wilderness hike that doesn't require any special 4x4 vehicle to get to the trailhead. Parking lot and trailhead were easy to find and well marked. 168 between Shaver and Huntington was recently re-paved and makes for a smooth drive to the trailhead. The hike feels easier given the distance because the elevation gain happens gradually most of the way to the lakes. I will definitely do again in the future and will try to hit George Lake too.

One of my favorite day hikes driving from Fresno/Clovis, Ca. I’ve done this hike at least 10 times over the last couple of years. Hike to the third lake, just above Twin lakes is George Lakes and it adds 2 miles to the trip, it’s well worth it. At the peak of the hike you are offered great views of Lake Huntington. The trail is well maintained with about 4 miles of incline to contend with.

Went on this trail with a friend and accidentally when off trail (right after the two southern trailheads meet) where we had to climb over large granite boulders and climb down a rather steep hill. The view before the 350 foot drop was beautiful, and even more beautiful at the bottom. A tip if you find this back route is be ready for a very steep and slippery trail and make sure you have a walking stick to help get back up the mountain.

Hike was worth it ! Trail was well maintained and easy to navigate . Mostly shady which I liked. It took me about an HR and a half to get to the lake . I was at a good pace all the way . Did. A few stops to catch a breather but overall moderate hike . Would recommend .

Hiked 9/13. Stunning lakes, nice trail with areas of both shade and views. When I was not moving the horse flies and yellow jackets would move in making it hard to enjoy lunch or the scenery. I tried two different bug sprays but they were not deterred. I continued to George lake, about 9.5 miles r/t.

Beautiful trail. We made it to the lake in 58 mins pushing at a moderate pace. The lakes and views were amazing. The water is not too cold and was very refreshing. Altitude was tough on a couple of the people in our group. Overall a great hike and I would highly recommend.

Awesome hike! The lakes are beautiful and good fishing. My husband caught some brook trout. The trail was fairly easy if your an avid hiker. We averaged 30minutes a mile, we stayed at the lake for a few hours fished and swam all day trip but the actual hiking only took 4hours 20mins round trip.

i hiked this trail a second time while camping out in sample meadow campgrounds, There is an alternative route to get to upper twin lakes, the trail head from this route begins at a dirt parking lot road where the California hiking & riding trail begins or more known as the rattlesnake trail head. This route is about the same distance and difficulty as the original route that begins on kaiser pass road by the restrooms. It does connect to the original trail as well! i would definitely hike or backpack this trail again! See my recording to see where its at!

I did this trail on a solo backpacking trail, that started at the trailhead and I went to upper twin lakes for one night than up to sample meadow campsite for the second night. The first mile down the trail is up hill and pretty tough to get up, after that it continues on up and down hill, until the last mile or less when you go down hill through a bit of a rocky path here and there. After you’ve gone down hill, you will basically reach lower twin lakes than about 0.3 miles or less is upper twin lakes! The trail is easy to follow, but does get a bit rough here and there if your backpacking or hiking without trekking poles! I would definitely do this trail again ! There was some fresh bear poop on the trail to, so make sure to keep an eye out!

Gorgeous hike! Very doable for everyone. We clocked 6.5 miles round trip. The youngest in our party of 18 was 5 and she rocked it! We may have had to bribe her with sweets towards the last couple miles back to the car. Last mile to lower twin is a little uphill, not hard. GO the 5 more minutes to upper twin! Way better than lower twin. Lower twin great to swim, just swampy and mushy while getting in. Upper twin gorgeous and way bigger! Water crystal clear and entry easy because of granite. All of us and the kids swam out to the island and jumped off rocks. So worth it!! There are also caves to explore - but bring head lamps!! It’s deep but opens where a man can stand and where there is water and tunnels to who know where. Bring: bug spray, lots of water, lunch/snacks, swimsuit, fast drying towel. Enjoy!