Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my all time favorite place to be. This was my first backcountry hike and I fall in love with it more and more every time I go back. Paved trails and easy to navigate. I personally prefer Lower Twin, but Upper Twin is just as beautiful. Enjoy fishing in both lakes. I have also hiked the extra mile up to George which is a nice little lake too. I love this area. I absolutely recommend it!!!

Easy to moderate only because the snow at this time (11/26/17) made trekking more difficult as well as staying on trial as this was my first time attempting this trail. It took me an hour and a half at a casual constant pace with no breaks to reach the first lake. Beautiful scenery throughout as well as great fly fishing! Would definitely hike again!

Great trail. We’ve stayed at both upper twin and George Lakes. Both worth it, with great campsites and views. We made a YouTube video about it. Search Four Feet Up, George Lake. Hope you enjoy!

Great overnight with my family this past weekend. It's mid October and there is snow which made the trip more exciting for the kids. I was there earlier in the week for just a day hike and it hadn't snowed yet, so it was pretty fresh! The one thing that became a bit of a nuisance was all the horse poop we had to dodge along the trail. It was everywhere. If you go on an overnight, make sure you stay out long enough to do some star gazing!

Easy to moderate hike. Arrived at the trail head at 8am and it was cold. Fun hike,lots of shade. Lower Twin Lake nice clear water, Upper Twin Lake stunning and gorgeous.

Beautiful trail. Moderately difficult due to Potter's Pass. Both lower and upper Twin Lake are gorgeous. Plan for enough time to explore around upper as each side of the lake has great views! Always see dogs on this trail. There was still a lot of snow in July making the trail difficult to find at times but once the snow is clear it is very easy to follow the trail. Potter's Pass has a gorgeous panorama, perfect place to take a quick snack break.

Amazing views, fun lakes, shade most of the way, beautiful meadows, rewarding climbs, easy to follow the trail.

I did this as a day hike in mid August and it was perfect! So many wildflowers along the trail and the lakes were beautiful. I definitely recommend going on to George Lake if you made it as far as Upper Twin, it's worth it! I'll absolutely be backpacking next time, I didn't want to leave!

The lakes were beautiful as always. Fish were biting, but I wasn't able to catch anything. Mosquitos weren't too bad, we sprayed repellent and they left us alone after that.

First time backpacking and we couldn't have picked a better place to go to. It's was a great hike. There's a lot of people on this hike ranging from different age groups. From young kids to older adults. We will definitely do it again.

Great Trail. The mosquitoes are relentless, but the view at the top totally worth it.

ry accessible and therefore very popular destination. Did a solo overnighter on a Friday night, mid July. Still a lot of snow and water on the trail following this years record snowfall. The upside is the lakes are full and there is running warer everywhere. The meadows are green & lush with every type of flora in abundance. There were only a few other campers on Friday night, no issues getting a permit or finding a premier site. Plenty of water to access around the lake for filtering and downed trees and fall are plentiful for easy firewood gathering. As a bonus the fishing was fantastic for both rainbow & brook trout. All in all a great trip, even as a solo. Give it a shot.

No more snow on the trail up to George Lake as of 7/23! really lovely jaunt that I am not sure I would call "easy" for the first 2 miles if coming up the Potter Pass Cutoff, but then again, I could have felt the strain due to lack of sleep the night before.

Mosquitos are out with a vengeance, particularly around dusk. Camping on a durable (rock) surface got me and the pup out of their way, however.

loved the constant water sources at all parts of this trail so I didn't have to pack it all in.

couldn't more highly recommend this trail, whether you're a backpacking newbie, experienced wanderer looking for a base before hitting up adjacent climbs, or a trail running nut!

Wednesday 7/26. Trail is in Great shape and went on to George. Mosquitos were a little annoying, so be sure to stock up on bug spray.

Had a great time! I've never been much of a hiker but that is changing. I'm still getting used to doing this and today myself and a buddy did this hike to the lower twin lake...not realizing how close we were to the bigger one. I think we were just both tired considering we are not hikers and this felt more moderate than easy...to us. BUT it was a great time and we are going back. Hopefully, we will find a camping spot and stay the night if possible. Oh and I even swam, the water was cold but not as cold as the San Joaquin River Gorge water.

Awesome trail with stunning views all around. Surprised to see some snow along the way and lots of colorful wild flowers. This is towards the end of July. We crossed a few steams which our trekking poles came in handy. This trail is anything but easy. I would rate this as moderately strenuous. We clocked it 8.6 miles round trip. Both lakes were gorgeous. Don't forget your insect repellents though the mosquitos and bugs were relentless. I would definitely be hiking this trail again.

I took my two dogs on this trail, there were several people on this trail but none of them minded my dogs being off leash. The trail length is more like 4.5 miles in, so 9ish miles total. It took us 2.5 hours in and around 2 hours hiking back out. I really enjoyed this trail, it had some difficult parts but most of it is relatively easy going. As of July 22, the trail was really easy to follow with some snow left along parts of the trail. I know some people mentioned in reviews the trail is hard to keep up with but since most of the snow is gone we didn't have any issues.

Awesome hike! Our whole family loved this one. Easy, for me, my four yr old not so much. She rode on my shoulders most of time. I would rate it moderate rather than easy. It's probably closer to 8+milesRT.
Bug spray is a must, they are relentless!

My wife clocked us at 10 miles on Fitbit , but we walked around lakes quite a bit(I'm guessing two miles) .

Trail head was easy to find, with a parking lot and a restroom! We went mid July, and unexpectedly found a ton of snow on the ground after the Kaiser pass sign. Lost the trail more times than we found it. Luckily there were fresh horse prints in the snow from earlier that morning or the day prior. Without the snow this hike would be much more manageable. Only made it to the first lake because we were exhausted. The first lake was beautiful and we were satisfied enough before heading back. My 1.5 year old Aussie had a blast and was off leash 99% of the trail. We will definitely be going back when the snow clears up!

Good day hike to beautiful lakes. Early July still had snow covering parts of the trail, which made staying on the trail tough. We look forward to making this hike again.