Turtle Head Mountain Trail

Turtle Head Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

WEAR PANTS and LONG SLEEVES. The trail is overgrown and you WILL get scratched up by sharp thorny plants. Although the scenery is nice I spent most of my time looking down trying to avoid the plants. The constant wading/pushing thru the plants makes the 4ish miles feel like 7 miles. There were lots of bees out but I didn't mind them, just leave them alone I guess. Don't try to deviate from the trail to take a shortcut to the road like we did, because some if this area is private property and is fenced off. I could have gone without doing this trail, and definitely won't be going back.

private property

this part is mostly private property. there's a sign of no trespassing quickly after you take the left turn to go up to the road when walking back from the turtle head. to get back into the neighborhood you have to climb a fence

Trail was ok. Loved the view of the lake and pound. The trail just ends and your left wondering if you went the wrong way. very prickly plants all along the trail so wear Jeans. today was 77 degrees but felt hotter out there. if your in the area go for it, but don't drive out of your way.

private property

Saturday June 1st I and a group of friends came to this trail and it was hard to find at first because it’s in a residential area and you would have no idea it’s there unless you see a group of people walk what looks like a little park area between two homes. When we started our hike we saw a big pretty big pond. When we continued along we were walking and talking enjoying the nice beautiful view of the lake next to it. When we continued we assumed it would wrap or take us to a breath taking spot so we could take photos. Unfortunately the more we hiked it became more uneven the ground some of us tripped or slid a lot and we even were climbing for a moment to get up and down rocks to keep going. There was a point the flowers kept going through our clothes and just scratching us then when we reached a point it was too narrow and too over grown we stopped there didn’t reach the end. When we were walking back my friend she encountered a rattle snake and quickly backed up. We couldn’t go around it because it was the only way out. We found a big enough stick that reached the rattle snake my boyfriend and my friends husband they poked it and the snakes rattled it’s tail and then quickly left and retreated up towards the mountain and other bushes we then decided to quickly run through the narrow path once it cleared away and kept running because we weren’t sure if there could be more we became extra vigilant. We had just passed that area 5-10 minutes before and suddenly we see a snake we were a little shocked. We were quickly then just walking through the whole trail we even got off the trail we believe and didn’t know where to go since we climbed up and down a lot and then we realized we were off trail. My friend slipped when we were going down the trial because it was slippery. We enjoyed the hike but we won’t be doing it again. Climate is getting warmer more snakes will be out soon! Be careful if you decided to bring dogs be vigilant and safe. The lake looked beautiful but we were hoping the trail was better. It needs a lot of work!

Trail becomes quite narrow and features steep, rocky sections with overgrown plant life on either side. Wear long pants and shoes with good grip.

The beginning of this trail was nice but it got more and more narrow and treacherous, to the point where we had to turn back before actually making it to the end :( we had two dogs with us so maybe it would have been easier without them. There is a good amount of rock scrambling and parts where it is hard to tell which way is an actual trail. I might go back on my own sometime to see how the last portion of the trail goes, just out of curiosity :P