Turnbull Canyon Trail

Turnbull Canyon Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Whittier, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

good workout in the city, gets crowded though and too much dog poop

Mostly uphill, and not a loop. Actually an out and back. Took me about two hours to do because I took my pup, he’s a little out of shape, so we stopped a few times so he could catch a breather. Most of the hike is uphill and was plenty cool because of the wind. For parking, go ahead and park in the residential neighborhood. There’s signs that say you’ll be ticketed but like I said, we were there for a little over two hours and nothing.

Park at Hoover Elementary: Alta and Broadway. All over street parking is permit only.

Good hike, lots of fun! Saw a few deer.

Good starter trial..

I loved it!!! Took my 3 month old German shepherd and tired him out too!!! Definitely one of my favorite trails, make sure to bring water and comfy shoes(I accidentally grabbed my workout shoes-not hiking shoes!!) overall, it was an intense workout, but great for beginners!

My first time at Turnbull Canyon was intense!! I super enjoyed the inclineSSSS. There were many of them. I really loved that there were different ways to go, though it’s easy to get lost. My girlfriend and I came down a different route, ended up at a parking lot we didn’t enter through, and walked about 3/4 mike to get back to her car.

If you’re not parking at the little parking lot (near Orange and Greenleaf), you can park by the elementary school near Alta and Broadway and walk to Beverly, which takes you to the trailhead. Not a bad walk.

All in all, I enjoyed the run, sweated a lot, and would recommend to anyone for walking and hiking as well.

No where to park!!! Not cool

A little hot for dogs, not very much shade. But a nice hike

nice

Really great trail. Good inclines which you will definitely feel once the heat starts working on you. Definitely bring some water. Perfect trail to toss on a weight vest and train your endurance.

Saw a few mountain bikes as well. Walked down the trail one of the bikers came up. If that's your thing I do not believe you would be disappointed.

Big negative is the parking. I parked on Beverly pretty far down until I did not see a sign that said "Permit Parking". Then I had to walk up Beverly to the entrance of Turnbull. Depending on your outlook you could just write it off as part of your hike that day.

Overall nothing wrong with the trail itself. Perfect moderate trail to break you into hiking tougher trails in the future. 4 stars only because of seemingly non-existent parking.

I love this trail on my bike man it’s so beautiful and you can get some amazing speed

parking is no good. nice medium trail

They open at 9am

first time hiking! im 250 lbs it was hot! i would stop frequently but i did it. cant wait to go back!!! make sure ti take water

DO NOT PARK AT START OF TRAIL! Myself and everyone else got a $51 citation. Other than that, great trail with alot of steep climbs and cool view at the top.

Really nice views & great workout, but as of last Saturday there was a lot of dog poop on the trail :(

Great views

pretty nice trials

Amazing view and great quick cardio work out.

Beautiful place to do hike and cardio training. But there's a big problem to find parking spot. The streets around have parking permit. I got ticket for $55

I've done this hike in the past, not too bad. What the heck has Whittier done though? I went up there on Monday & they've roped off the trailhead parking & everywhere within a mile in the neighborhoods is permit parking. Where the heck are you supposed to park?

Great hike beautiful views. On a clear day like yesterday you could see the ocean and boats. On a bad note Dog poop everywhere it seems like pet owners are not cleaning up after them.

Great trail. But no nearby parking.

This trail was just made a Preserve, so only open 9-5, making it a better trail for cooler weather. Ranger will make you leave if you head out prior to 9. As many others have stated, lots of trash and dog poo. Don't screw it up for those of us that actually appreciate the beauty of nature; pack it out! That being said, it's a good little calf burner with fantastic views from the water tower. PSA... if you're thirsty, so is your dog. Saw lots of people unprepared to hydrate their 4 legged friends!

Get there early! Arrived at 0545 on a Friday and lot was 95% full. Moderate trafficked trail up and back to water tower lookout. Pleasant morning views of dew/fog lifting and sunrise. However, I could do without other hikers playing music on their walks...unplug, breathe, listen to your heart beating and enjoy your surroundings. It's been a year since my last hike (out of shape) and I felt this was easily doable. I'll probably do again.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

frist time it was good

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I was on the trail yesterday with my E bike,. In my 20 years of biking the trail i had never seen it so full of people. I dont worry about parking cause im local but for those that do worry about parking...good luck my friend. (dont let that stop you). It was an epic ride and im glad the see the trail so active.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Really enjoy this trail. Pretty good for an active rest day. Takes about an hour and a half. Parking is horrible tho. We have to park on Beverly when the little lot is full because the blocks closer to it are permit parking only. Other than parking, I love this trail.