Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(25)
Yosemite National Park

Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley Trail is a 27.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 27.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,158 feet Route Type: Point to Point

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. A strenuous 2-4 day backcountry trip full of meadows, mountains, and waterfalls Many hikers chose to hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley starting at Tenaya lake, but this hike offers a slight different perspective, and allows you to stop at the Merced Lake High Sierra Camp as well. The hike is 28 miles each way and can be completed in 2 days each way with an overnight stop at Merced Lake, or can be stretched to as many as 4 days with extra nights at Vogelsang High Sierra Camp and Little Yosemite Valley (with an optional trip to Half Dome). The first day you will gain about 2000 feet of elevation before losing 5000 more, and hiking almost 15 miles on granite can become quite hard on your feet, so wear good hiking boots. You will pass several rivers, lakes, mountains and 2 of the park's best waterfalls on this backcountry trek, and it is a great way to escape the crowds to see all the Yosemite National Park has to offer.

Magical. One of the highlights of my life.

Lyle canyon to Vogelsang high Sierra camp to Merced lake to half dome back to the valley, 50 miles, epic journey

Sun May 12 2019

Mon Oct 15 2018

This was my first solo backpacking trip and my first time in Yosemite and this was the perfect route for both. I completed the route over 3 days 2 nights through the pouring rain most of the time but it didn’t even matter. The scenery was unreal from the beginning to end. I stayed at booth lake the first night and the morning scenery was beautiful there. I stayed a little past Merced Lake on the second night on a cliff overlooking the Merced River. I didn’t see a single soul until my last day when I hit the valley. What an amazing experience I can’t wait to return next spring.

Tue May 08 2018

Started at Cathedral Lakes TH for 3 night/4 day in late Aug 2017. Camped at Sunrise, near base of Half Dome spur trail then 3rd night in LYV. Did half dome on day 3 and left packs at camp to lighten load. Smoke from fires obscured view on half dome, unlucky timing for us. Family of 4 with teenagers did this trip. It was tough, but very doable and worth every step. Tons of people on last leg downhill to Yosemite Valley; yearned for the solitude of the high country! Need permits to do this hike overnight. Ranger was checking for permits.

Thu Nov 30 2017

I've hiked this trail from Yosemite's Valley floor & Tuolumne Meadows (TM) and it's a bit easier going down in elevation than up! However, this trail is AMAZING and even out of shape individuals could complete this trip with the right Attitude and Gear. I recommend parking car at Valley floor, catching Shuttle to TM and starting from there.

Fri Aug 04 2017

Have you ever done this hike in the opposite direction? I’ve been thinking about starting in the valley and ending in Tuolumne Meadows. Do you have any reasons on why to do it the way you did?

Sat Aug 10 2013

We finished the route in 3 days/2 nights and this hike was incredible! This guide helped out immensely and has made me a devoted follower of Every Trail. Completed the hike with my 11yr old son and though it was difficult (especially the 13 mile final push on the last day) we made it and probably our greatest bonding experience to date. I look forward to trying more trails from Every Trail.

Sat Aug 11 2018