Tunnel Trail

Tunnel Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from September until June. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Chaparral Ranger Station: Follow the Juniper Canyon Trail 1.2 miles southward to the intersection with Tunnel Trail.

This was my favorite outta the 9 or 10 Las padres hikes I've done. going up at 10am I ran into the fog which I welcomed. Love watching the mist roll up and over the hills. Parts of the trail are a bit overgrown but still very easy to follow. Once up on the road, I walked around the corner of Gibraltar Rd and you can see the dam. Then I head up the road to la cumbre peak. I looked around for the connector trail for cathedral peak which I may have finally found but it was badly overgrown if it was even the trail so rather than, tempting fate with little water left, I turned around and ran back down to the trailhead. Lost of excellent vantage points even if you don't go to the top.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

I'm normally a moderate hiker (my ideal hike is about 6 miles with up to 1500 of elevation) so this was a stretch for me. Note that the directions took us to the end of the trail, not the beginning, so that made it more difficult and confusing.

Pros: great views, remote location makes for a great wilderness experience

Cons: trail is very rugged, did not seem to be super well maintained. It's a very steep incline either way.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

good riding trail fun super technical good downhill riding

Friday, November 20, 2015

Good workout and plenty of choices on doing a harder trail if wanted. We did it in about 80 degree weather and it was perfect.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Great hike!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Fun walk. Did it in the early morning when it was in total shade. Beautiful at the top and the 3.8 miles is for the total distance, and isn't quite that long

Friday, March 28, 2014

Sunny and hot on the way in. Amazing trail and trail options once you pass the (now dry) water station.

Saturday, April 29, 2017