Tunnel Trail

Tunnel Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from September until June. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Chaparral Ranger Station: Follow the Juniper Canyon Trail 1.2 miles southward to the intersection with Tunnel Trail.

This was my favorite outta the 9 or 10 Las padres hikes I've done. going up at 10am I ran into the fog which I welcomed. Love watching the mist roll up and over the hills. Parts of the trail are a bit overgrown but still very easy to follow. Once up on the road, I walked around the corner of Gibraltar Rd and you can see the dam. Then I head up the road to la cumbre peak. I looked around for the connector trail for cathedral peak which I may have finally found but it was badly overgrown if it was even the trail so rather than, tempting fate with little water left, I turned around and ran back down to the trailhead. Lost of excellent vantage points even if you don't go to the top.

I'm normally a moderate hiker (my ideal hike is about 6 miles with up to 1500 of elevation) so this was a stretch for me. Note that the directions took us to the end of the trail, not the beginning, so that made it more difficult and confusing.

Pros: great views, remote location makes for a great wilderness experience

Cons: trail is very rugged, did not seem to be super well maintained. It's a very steep incline either way.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Thursday, August 04, 2016

good riding trail fun super technical good downhill riding

Saturday, June 25, 2016