Treasure Lakes Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(46)
Inyo National Forest

Treasure Lakes Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail and great day but no colored leaves yet

We started at the trail head around 10am. It was the busiest I’ve ever seen, but it was expected on Labor Day weekend. We had our two toddlers in carriers and it was a great workout. We didn’t make it all the way to the lake we went just under 4 miles. We got a couple mosquito bites but not bad.

Thu Nov 01 2018

Well maintained trail with excellent views on the lakes. I walked this in late October, out and back in 3.5 hours. Not accustomed to the altitude, so it was more tiring than I expected. Well worth the effort though.

Sun Sep 30 2018

Perfect work to reward ratio in my opinion. Lower Treasure Lake is a dreamscape once you get to it. The return hike is not bad at all.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Spectacular views! It is worthwhile all the hiking. They were moments we thought we lost the trail but we found it. Monumental! A jewel in the wilderness.

Sat Aug 18 2018

stunning views, clear blue skies with some big white cumulus- essentially no mosquitoes. Did have difficulty finding the trail after the first 2 lakes- essentially hiked up edge of water fall with some bushwacking where bushes have overgrown trail- well worth the effort

Mon Aug 13 2018

Wed Aug 01 2018

Has anybody done Bishop Pass or Treasure Lakes recently? I'm worried about the air quality. Does anybody know how it is up there?

Tue Jul 10 2018

wonderful views, great for a good day hike. lotsa mosquitos

Mon Jul 09 2018

Rated as easy? I could see the hike to the lower lakes easy(maybe), but continuing up as the alltrails route indicates is certainly not easy. The trail starts off well maintained and heavily trafficked. There were plenty of mosquitos on the way up. The two lower lakes is I think what the trail is meant to end at, at around 2.5 miles in. Beautiful spot and plenty of areas for a picnic. The alltrails route continues up to the upper lakes after crossing over a small stream at the lower lakes. The crossing is currently only one unstable log. Thereafter the trail is defined at first but then is completely lost shortly after. We made it up to one of the upper lakes but got tired of trail blazing. There was a few snow patches up to the upper lakes. It's beautiful for sure, but if I did it again I would call it at the lower lakes.

Mon Jul 31 2017

So beautiful! Backpacked in early Saturday morning, beautiful weather! The hike in is a little steep but the way out is a breeze! The scenery the entire hike is amazing. The creeks are roaring right now! The lake was freezing but you know you have to dive in anyways!! Caught a fish or 2 and had an awesome time! Can't wait to come back and explore the upper lake! Be sure to pack that bug spray!!

Sun Aug 30 2015

Great trail and awesome fishing!!

Tue Aug 25 2015

This is a great in and out hike with scenic views, lakes, waterfalls and wildlife. The Treasure Lakes trail splits out from the Bishop Pass Trail not far from the parking lot and trailhead near the Lake Mary dam.

Mon Jul 06 2015

We started at South Lake and hiked up to Long lake and then on to Ruwau Lake. It was absolutely gorgeous! We met a few PCT-ers coming down to Bishop for the night. The area around all the lakes was a bit buggy so I would recommend bug spray. The climb from Long lake to Ruwau Lake is pretty steep but worth the views. The out and back was just under 7 miles. Parking at the trail head was easy- lots of space and no permit needed.