Trans-Catalina Trail to Hermit Gulch Campground

Trans-Catalina Trail to Hermit Gulch Campground is a 8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Avalon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,919 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Good trail for hiking, however pick your time thoughtfully. The marine layer was around most the ridge.

This is a pretty great trail. I came onto the island off one of the ferry boats. The walk to the starting point of the trail is 1.5 miles uphill via Wrigley Rd. You'll already be winded before you even get to the trailhead. The beginning of the Trans-Cat trail is a series of dirt roads. They're wide, easy to follow, uphill, and there is no shade. I, unfortunately, went on a super cloudy day, but there would have been panoramic ocean views. I imagine it would have been amazing. The first 4 miles from the trailhead are completely uphill, but it is very doable for a reasonable hiker. It's pretty much downhill from the 4 mile mark to the junction with the Garden to the Sky trail. If you continue the Trans-Cat past Garden to the Sky and go to Hermit Gulch (I did), it's uphill again. I then took the Hermit Gulch trail down to the campground and eventually headed back to Avalon. The Hermit Gulch trail (1.7 mi) is the only "real" trail and it's entirely downhill if you're heading down to the campground. Including my walk to the trailhead, and finishing at the Hermit Gulch campground, my hike was 10 miles. It's a great hike with views from the top of the island. I highly recommend this trail (dirt road). I will do it again!

recorded catalina