Trans-Catalina Trail is a 40.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Avalon, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 40.2 miles Elevation Gain: 8,202 feet Route Type: Point to Point

beach

This is a long, strenuous trek across the entirety of Catalina Island. But the views are amazing. Beautiful blue ocean views in every direction in the morning, and incredible solitude, serenity and interior island views in the afternoon. Most backpackers do this over four days and depart from Twin Harbors.

This is a really good backpacking trip. This is the best way to do the trip: Day 1: Avalon to Blackjack campground Day 2: Blackjack campground to Little Harbor campground Day 3: Little Harbor campground to Parsons Landing campground Day 4: Parsons landing to Two Harbors

Just got back from finishing the TCT! We backpacked it from July 11-13 and it was so beautiful. My friend and I hiked it “backwards”, from Two Harbors to Avalon. I see why this trail is rated as hard and why many people hike this trail in the winter time though. For night one, we stayed in Two Harbors and began our first day hiking out from Two Harbors to Parson’s Lansing (which was swarmed with boy scouts), then up the steep climb out of Parsons Landing to the ridge right along Silver Peak. Silver Peak and Starlight Beach are, from my understanding, not officially a part of the TCT so we did not do it. It was just too much to add in the extra miles/climb on such a hot day. Although All Trails shows that Starlight Beach is a part of the trail, it’s not. The map that you can get from the Catalina Conservancy does not show that it is part of it and neither do the trail signs. We then took the ridge and completed the loop all the way back to Two Harbors and stayed the night there again. Our second day we packed everything up and headed out from Two Harbors, to Little Harbor for an hour break, then all the way to Black Jack Campground. This was a LONG, HOT day. However, this was in my personal opinion, the most rewarding day. The views were insane! The biggest climb out of Two Harbors to Little Harbor had some of the best views on trail. From Little Harbor to the Airport (and Black Jack) do NOT take the sheep chute road! All Trails tells you to go that way but that is not the official trail at all. It’s shorter, but the road walks are just long and hot and provide no shade. At least on the trail you’ll get the occasional picnic table with the shade canopy. Stop for food and drinks at the Airport In The Sky and you will not be disappointed. Finally we got to Black Jack and loved the pine forest. It was so unexpected and such a beautiful campground! Beware of the foxes, they were ripping through people’s tents to steal food. Make sure you put all of your food in the bear boxes. For our third/final day we had the hottest day from Black Jack to Avalon. We finally ran into 5-6 buffalo on this stretch and had to backtrack several times to let the buffalo pass! Stay a safe distance away from them as they are pretty well known for charging. This was the hottest and most dry section in my opinion. Once we finally reached a shade canopy just a half mile above the playground, we took the looooong road all the way down to Avalon (which isn’t official trail). We clocked in at 49.5 miles total although the official trail is supposedly 38.5. We felt very fulfilled and enjoyed allll the food once we got to Avalon! For anyone who’s planning on this trip, I say it’s 100% worth it. Even in the middle of summer. Make sure you carry 3-4 liters of water. I was fine with just 3 as there are plenty of water sources. The trail is very easy to follow and there are mile markers for every mile. Do not take the sheep chute road in between the airport and Little Harbor that All Trails says to take. Follow the trail signs! Lastly, pack sunscreen, a hat, and a swimsuit. There are plenty of opportunities to jump in the ocean and take outdoor showers so the swimsuit comes in handy. Practice all precautions when coming across a buffalo and be ready for tons of steep hill climbs! It’s very rewarding and it’s so worth it. :)

I only did the Avalon to Hermit Gulch portion (10 miles). I came onto the island off one of the ferry boats. The walk to the starting point of the trail is 1.5 miles uphill via Wrigley Rd. You'll already be winded before you even get to the trailhead. The beginning of the Trans-Cat trail is a series of dirt roads. They're wide, easy to follow, uphill, and there is no shade. I, unfortunately, went on a super cloudy day, but there would have been panoramic ocean views. I imagine it would have been amazing. The first 4 miles from the trailhead are completely uphill, but it is very doable for a reasonable hiker. It's pretty much downhill from the 4 mile mark to the junction with the Garden to the Sky trail. If you continue the Trans-Cat past Garden to the Sky and go to Hermit Gulch (I did), it's uphill again. I then took the Hermit Gulch trail down to the campground and eventually headed back to Avalon. The part of the Trans-Cat I did boasted views from the top of the island and a very easy to follow and hike trail. I highly recommend this trail (dirt road). I would love to do the whole 38 miles someday! If you're into hiking/backpacking, this will be perfect for you!

Just finished hiking the trail from Avalon and really enjoyed it The island is beautiful. Lots of friendly fun fellow hikers were around. We hiked from Avalon and camped at blackjack, little harbor, and two nights at two harbors. Don’t miss a beer and buffalo burger at the airport! We did the west end loop as a day hike, with the flat return from Parsons landing a bit anticlimactic. A very nice hike. AllTrails please update the current route of the TCT on the map!

Backpacked Monday 18 through Friday 22 March 2019. Gorgeous weather with some rain. Fun meeting people doing TCT from Canada, Wisconsin, Texas, and then seeing them through out TCT. Hiked the TCT based on signage only. Single one track trail easy to follow. Usually use AllTrails, but trail not available. TCT absolutely gorgeous. Tons of ocean views from hiking on mountain ridges. Camped at Hermit Gulch, Black Jack, Little Harbor, and Parsons Landing. Water and bathrooms at each campsite. Restaurant options available at airport on way to Little Harbor and again on way to Parsons Landing. Food plentiful and excellent! Recommend Bison burrito. Campsite Reservations required!!! There was a chain effect based on campers taking already reserved sites. Make reservations! If someone in your Campsite, then boot them. Each hike segment hard based on altitude gain. Harder with backpack. Hiking poles critical based on quick ascent and descent. Saw Bison, Bald Eagle 礪and lots of flit.

I did this trail spring 2017 and it was a perfect first backpacking experience for me as a 12 year old. I loved every bit of it and even though the water was a bit cold, it felt so nice to dip in after a long day of hiking. It is a lot of uphill and downhill, and partially flat. The best part of this experience was sitting at the top of a peak overlooking little harbor, and taking a night swim in the cool clear waters of two harbors. It is a great family trail.

This trail can be done in two days if you take the early ferry into Avalon and the mid day or late ferry out of Two Harbors. I did it January 11-12. Despite the mild temps, it seems to be in the off peak season. Lots of great scenery, elevation changes, and harbor views. However there are more power lines, fairly significant erosion, and other man-made changes that would otherwise result in a 5 star rating. Check out the Wrigley Botanical Garden before starting from Avalon. it will help you identify some of the plants you see along the way.

Amazing view with incredible views. Steep climbs, steep decents. Hard on the knees. Majority of the trail was a dirt road(accessable by 4x4 vehicle) Good for safety, but annoying to hike on a dry dusty dirt road. Day one was Avalon to Black Jack(LONG DAY) Avalon to the trailhead adds an extra mile or more Day two was Black Jack to Two Harbor(another LONG DAY) Stopped for food at the airport. Little Harbor Camp water spigot was dry which made for a rough waterless couple miles. The views on this day were beautiful. Day three, we did the Silver Peak Trail to Starlight Beach, then back to Parsons Landing (a third LONG DAY) It was nice having firewood and water at each campsite, however we spent so much of the day hiking that we didn't get to enjoy the relaxation as we should have. Probably would've been best to add an extra day, although with the way the camps were spread it prob wouldn't have helped.

Great views, but there is no shade for the most part of trail. Expensive camp sites.

Giving five stars because trail was well marked, and easy to find. I had downloaded the All Trails map but it wouldn’t load for some reason. I too, am a pro member. Completely relied on the Catalina map that you can buy at the visitor center instead. Decent cell reception on most of the area and plenty of places to stop for food if you plan right (you could easily carry just two days worth of food on a four day trip). We did Avalon to blackjack on day 1 then blackjack to two harbors day two, and finally two harbors to starlight beach (camp at parson landing) day three, and parsons landing to two harbors day four. In retrospect, We wish we had arrived in time to camp at hermit gulch, get an early start, and hike all the way to little harbor on day one (prettiest campsite). Then day two we would suggest little harbor to parsons landing, then back on day three. Don’t skip the hill to parsons landing. It has beautiful views and a lot more fun than the flat way. It is really steep going down. Wouldn’t suggest going up it from PL bc of the grade. The Catalina trail map altitude gain image is more of a pretty looking estimation. Just follow the contours. Overall the hardest part for us wasn’t the hills, but rather the heat and sun exposure on the way to blackjack. Pack as light as possible. But definitely pack a rain fly for camping anywhere on the beach. Ours got soaked and we were very happy to have it. Oh yeah, and for starlight beach take the old west end road trail instead of the road. It’s easy to miss, on the right hand side. Otherwise the road drops steep to the coast, then back up to meet old west end road. Totally unnecessary. Ask for a second bundle of firewood at two harbors... I think it’s included in the cost. Don’t forget to call ahead and order water and wood for PL.

I LOVE THIS TRAIL! I have done it five times, it takes me two days. For the most part the hike starts at sea level, but there are a few spots that have a pretty nice climb. I wear trail runners and stop by and get a burger at Airport in the Sky. My mom who is 70 has done it with me twice and my son completed it at 12 and 14. Each time I have hiked this trail it has been at different times of the year: February, March, April, June, and July. In July, it can be over 100 degrees on the ridge. Even in April, you can get burned pretty bad. The best time was in February. The days were comfortable, the nights were still warm, if it rained it wasn't a down pour. I have gone from Avalon to Two Harbor and Two Harbor to Avalon. Regardless - I love this hike. I love the beauty of the island, the Buffalos, the foxes, you name it. I have only seen one snake which was laying in the sun. I have never been bothered by any animals or people. The only recommendation I would say, is to watch your water. Sometimes water can be limited on the island. Also, keep your gear and food in the tent but away from the sides of the tent. I generally use a bug tent. At night the foxes will come around and if you leave snacks by the edge, they could chew through the mesh. The back side of the island makes you feel like you are in Jurassic Park. In Two Harbor make sure you stop my and get some seared Ahi - it is the BEST! Enjoy every minute of it, it is well worth it!

Amazing! silver peak was by far the hardest part, especially after the 5 mile hike from little harbor to 2 harbors. We started around noon and the sun was brutal! We expected it to be hot as it's September but they had not one single shader or table/bench while out on the 6 miles....it was still amazing! The whole trail was great! We had a blast! make sure to lock your fox boxes..lol, we forgot the last night and all our food got stolen by a sneaky fox...thankfully we only had 8 miles left to the trail! little harbor was our favorite camp site! It was beautiful and people we met were all wonderful!

Definitely strenuous, recommend being in very good shape. Totally worth every second! Extraordinary views at every point. Truly stunning. Highly recommend

Did as a 1-day trail run, took the Catalina Express ferry from San Pedro and started at Two Harbors towards Avalon (skipped the north part). Ran the 26 miles to Avalon in about 8 hrs along the "official" Trans Catalina Trail see https://www.catalinaconservancy.org/userfiles/files/Hiking%20Map%202017%2011x17(1).pdf (it goes by airport via Sheep Chute Road). Definitely some pretty areas. I like the ridge north of Little Harbor and the section south of Black Jack Campground (where the buffalo are). Least favorite was Sheep Chute road and area near the airport. I'd consider doing the bypass along Cottonwood trail as shown in Red on AllTrails, but I guess that skips the water at the airport. Also it looks like Google Maps doesn't even show Cottonwood Trail so make sure you have this AllTrails map or a USGS version. 3 bottles of Gatorade was less than enough, but was able to refill one at the airport halfway. Pretty hot out there in late July. Very arid and dry. Could imagine it being more pretty in the winter. Remember the ferry takes over an hour each way which eats into your trail time. Still I do recommend doing it as a dayhike trail run.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Completed the TCT from Avalon to Parsons Lansing Oct 2016 and it was an excellent experience! However, as mentioned in previous reviews, there is pretty much 0 shade from the sun throughout the vast majority of the hike. And water is only found at camp areas and the airport strip food mart gift shop so plan accordingly. Got dropped off by ferry at Avalon and hiked straight from Avalon to BlackJack where we camped at Black Jack the first night. Day two we hiked to the airport to fill up on water and onto little harbor. I encourage a pit stop swim in the ocean at little harbor, before strapping on your gear again for another long stretch of straight uphill climbs. From little harbor there was a long very uphill stretch to two harbors, where we camped for the 2nd night. After we camped the night at two Harbors (which was the most crowded of campsites), we got back on the trail and hiked to Parsons landing which was my favorite of the 3 campsites. Once you refill on water located in pre designated lockers with your campsite number listed on it, you actually set up camp right on the beach next to the ocean on your fairly secluded personal sandy beach. Note- be sure to secure your rainfly on your tent as the ocean creates a mist at night that will get everything damp. The next and final day we hiked from PL back to Two Harbors where we caught a ferry back to Long Beach. I highly recommend this hike, but be prepared for the island/desert terrain. And I should also mention that buffalo sightings and potentially close encounters with them are highly likely.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Me and my husband made this our first backpacking trip and it was definitely one of my favorite experiences! We went from Avalon to Two Harbors in two days. Day 1: Ferry in, Avalon to Blackjack campground (11 miles, took us about 6 hours total) Day 2: Blackjack to Two Harbors (13 miles, took us about 8 hours, including our stop at Airport in the Sky and hanging out at Little Harbor), Ferry out. So much wildlife, it would be difficult not to see Bison and foxes. We had a fox that hung out at our campsite. My husband also was a little too brave and continued on the trail with a pack of Bison right off the trail, and ended up being charged by one of the bulls. Fortunately he dropped his pack when he ran and it scared the bull. Make sure to keep your distance from them! Also watch out for snakes, we passed a rattlesnake and another yellow and black striped snake on the trail and didn't notice until they stirred. Beautiful views, changing terrain every few miles, all in all an amazing way to view the island. The one thing I would have changed was adding another day to our trip so we could have camped at Little Harbor and hiked from there to Two Harbors the following day. The second day hiking was quite a challenge for us considering the heat, the steep ascents to Two Harbors after Little Harbor, and the wear on our legs and feet after day one. However, the views are spectacular to Two Harbors. Overall awesome backpacking, would highly recommend.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Enjoyed the trail and its amazing views (little harbor to two harbors, silver peak trail, top of hermit gulch). We were always close to bison, deer, and foxes. A bison even walked up to our campsite while one of us was showering. Scary. I did not like jeeps and trucks constantly passing us from Hermit Gulch to Blackjack or from Parsons to Two Harbors, but it didn't ruin the trip. We went in late June and it was not hot at average 65F but the kids had gotten out of school and Parson's was a madhouse. The best food served on the trail is at the airport and the food at Two Harbors is overpriced and unremarkable. On the 3rd day we did the 14mi loop from Two Harbors to Parsons and back (of the official 2017 trail) in 1 day and would not recommend doing that as our feet were in so much pain walking 7.5 miles on a flat road after a >1mi long descent on fenceline road.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Great backpack trip if you park your solitude and wilderness expectations at the door and just enjoy it. We did it in six days: Day 1: Hermit Gulch, Day 2: to Blackjack, Day 3: to Little Harbor, Day 4: to Two Harbors, Day 5: to Parsons, Day 6: Home. We did the exact route provided by the Catalina Conservancy, but we did the west end of the island in a counterclockwise fashion instead of clockwise. Caveats: 1) one segment of the westernmost trail from miles 28.5 to Mile 30 is called Fenceline Road. That part of the trail topped out at 30% grade and was very steep. There is an alternative route if you continue toward Silver Peak, and I'd recommend it as this part was just brutal (uphill) and would be dangerous on the downhill. 2) Fox boxes are provided at all campsites. Use them. A fox tore a hole in our tent to try to take our food bag. Our fault for listening to others who said it was okay. (The foxes are adorbs!) Okay, that said, what a great romantic trip! Restaurants in Avalon, airport, and Two Harbors. We enjoyed being trail-trash and hanging out in Two Harbors as we awaited another couple joining us (who missed the early boat). We did this over Memorial Day and the weather was good for the whole trip except at Little Harbor where it was windy. The holiday weekend made for better music in Two Harbors. (A knowledgeable local says Little Harbor is the place to be in August). Solitude whenever we were on the trail was interspersed with the tourists in Avalon and Two Harbor. The buffalo were mainly a) at Black Jack (one slept 25 feet away from our camp site [#1!]) and b) near and after the airport. Talk loud and they'll move off the trail. Day 1 we took the 1:30 boat from Long Beach to Avalon and did the tourist thing. Hiking 5 miles between going to Hermit Gulch, going back to downtown for dinner, and back again with some exploration. Day 2 is lots of up, followed by lots of up and down. It would have been excessively hot if the weather were so, but it wasn't. so. Views were nice. Blackjack campground is fun. Day 3 You get to hoof it for a few miles to the airport, then have a giant breakfast! How cool is that? The ladies at the restaurant have trained the local ravens and squirrels, so there's a floor show too. After that you get to see the actual herd of buffalo. Again pretty cool. Others noted how they'd avoided the buffalo herd because they were on the trail. We just talked loudly as we approached and the herd lovingly moved for us. More amazing views as you cross the island and drop down to Little Harbor - Catalina's answer to car camping. Gorgeous views though. Too cool to swim, unfortunately. I will be back to set up a camping trip here at the beautiful giant group campsites. Day 4: Two Harbors. Easy hike to Two Harbors where we'd meet our friends for their first backpack trip. The views just astound as you hike along the giant cliffs. The trail drops down and you reenter the madding crowd. But hey: grill and bar and shower. Our friends missed the 12:30 boat, so we had to sit there and eat tons, and drink (moderately) and dance to the live music. (Oh and hot showers!) Not bad.... Stayed at Two Harbors Campground. We had one down near the water. Maybe one of the sites up the hill would have been a bit better (but windier?) Day 5: When we hiked from Two Harbors to Parsons, mostly on road (sad face) we passed Emerald Bay. I think we passed a church service in one of the anchorages consisting of many dingys cuddling up to a big yacht. Emerald Bay looked so amazing that we hiked down and ate and chilled and swam all afternoon. Once you pass the Boy Scout Campground, you are in the wilderness again with great shore views and the relatively secluded Parson's Landing. (Why did he land here, it's all rocks?) Day 6: We split up with the girls roadwalking back past Emerald Bay while we tough guys climbed up to FOG. Yeah, no views, and that caveated blankety blank Fenceline Road. But we were done. Back at Two Harbors, we got food, got on the earlier boat and slept back San Pedro, where we got our friends to drive us to Long Beach (very near by, a cab would do as well.) We didn't get to do the final beach because our friends were not up for the additional mileage to Startlight. So, that said, I'd likely extend this trip to include starlight beach for sure, since it seems cheezy not to go to the other end of the island.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

This is no longer the official route for this trail. Check the Catalina conservancy website for the new and updated map. We loved this trip and would definitely do it again! I wouldn’t suggest doing in the summer when the temperatures are high because there was little to no shade along the trail.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Did the Trans-Catalina in mid-March and you understand almost immediately why this is mostly a winter-only trip. There is virtually no shade, a lot of sun, and even though you have a lot of access to water, there are at least two very difficult big climbs and a couple big descents followed by immediate climbs. Catalina does not give you a lot of flats to cruise on. Make sure to follow the Catalina Conservancy's map or at least be very clear which deviations you're taking because you can easily go well out of your way. The official Trans-Catalina is well-marked and we didn't miss a single mile marker. We started in Avalon on a sunny day and your first mile is a nice walk up to Hermit Gulch before your next two miles are a very steady, steep uphill to the top of the ridge. Even when it was only 65 degrees, this was very hard for four fit people but you get spectacular views of the Pacific on all sides. Your next couple miles are up and down along a very dry portion of the interior where you will start to see bison and see how big the island actually is. You spend a significant portion of the next 4 miles on or very close to the airport road, power lines, and pipes and step over a lot of buffalo crap, probably the least good part of the trip. However it is still very scenic. You do a few big descents and climbs away from the road finally which is hard but eventually you'll get to Blackjack which is a nice campground tucked into a pine grove. Nice to hear the wind in the trees at night. Day Two you can make either very easy or long and moderately hard. We chose easy because it was supposed to rain that day (it did). You start with a confusing portion that confused several backpackers. When you leave Blackjack, turn right at the airport road briefly (look for the markers as this uncharacteristically does not have a sign pointing you in the right direction) then a sharp left. Another hard down-and-up brings you to the airport. Definitely stop for a meal. It's quiet and there's a lot to see in the airport of the history of Catalina. The rest of the day is a pretty easy descent down to Little Harbor. We camped here in the rain and it was perfectly fine, though it definitely feels a lot like a drive-in campground with a lot of huge, out-of-place palm trees. You could potentially continue to Two Harbors from here and make it in good time. Day Three is where you see the best scenery and are the most isolated. The first five miles is a pretty easy ascent onto the ridge overlooking the Pacific and it is spectacular. Even after the rain, this was an easy trail and a big highlight. You descend quickly into Two Harbors around five miles where you can refill water if necessary. The next portion brings you south of town and up the hardest climb of the trip. Miles 25-27 were by far the hardest and, once the sun broke through again, took a long time. Near the top though you start getting spectacular views again, particularly if you take half an hour to do the Lobster Bay Lookout trail. Amazing. You spend the next few miles walking along a ridge toward the tip of the island before a very steep descent into Parson's. After the rain, this was very muddy but doable going down. I would not attempt going up it after rain. Parson's is a dream, but don't expect to show up and have a spot. Reserve well in advance and get water. Oh! And DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR KEY AT THE TWO HARBORS VISITOR CENTER. I did and was very lucky someone shared their water with me. Day Four is a flat 8 miles back to Two Harbors along the coast on the road. The water and vegetation is beautiful but it is a bummer to have to stare down at four different ugly summer camps that you have to wind around. That was another least good thing about the trip. You should make it back to Two Harbors by 10:30 in time to catch the 11:30 ferry back to San Pedro. A great trip if you like views of the ocean with some difficult terrain and don't mind some portions that interface with human infrastructure a lot. If I do this trip again, I would most likely make it a bit longer by going from Day One Avalon to Blackjack, Day Two Blackjack to Two Harbors (instead of Little Harbor) and Day Three Two Harbors to Parsons, but hike the entirety of the Silver Peak Trail down to Starlight Beach and then on to Parson's. Adding that leg to Day Three adds over four miles but the views from the top of the ridge are really something.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Did this trail at the end of April, which was just about too late in the season since the whole trail is exposed and it was getting hot. The scenery was absolutely stunning! I started at the mile 1 trailhead and didn't see another soul until mile 7. Very difficult elevation gain and loss, but totally worth it. Camped the first night at Blackjack and it was super windy; second night at Little Harbor which was a great site next to the ocean, seemed to be a favorite by boaters; night 3 was at Parsons, and by far the best campsite! It felt like it took forever to get there, but a serene place on the sand. The most amazing views were about two miles outside of Little Harbor on the trek out. Worst moments were the 3 mile stretch into Little Harbor. The trail was straight down! But overall, a wonderful experience.

Monday, June 05, 2017

DO NOTuse the downloaded map on the site to navigate from blackjack to Little Harbor it veers off of the trans Catalina trail and takes you through a very difficult trail that takes you from mountain tops to riverbeds constantly. stay on the official trans Catalina trail !!!!! You will also encounter Buffalo at numerous points on this detour including herds of 30 to 50 in number, quite concerning at times.!Other than that ,the downloaded map is awesome! When you see the wooden sign saying trans Catalina trail as you leave blackjack for little harbor take it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Conversely leaving from Little Harbor going to black jack stay on the ridge top which is the trans Catalina trail DO NOT take the highlighted portion on the downloaded map that takes you down to the right By a bunch of worksheds and industrial equipment go straight up the ridge which is not highlighted in red this is the trans Catalina official trail that will take you to the airport. The detour that is highlighted in red looks much shorter do not take the bait !!!!!!!!!! You can make it from Black Jack to the isthmus in one hike but is not recommended, do yourself a favor and spend an overnight at little harbor. you will get there around 3 o'clock with plenty of time to set up take a swim in the ocean and enjoy the beach!!! pre-ordering would for any of the sites is a huge plus and recommended. Fantastic trail definitely in my top three things to do in California!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Backpacked from Hermits Gulch to Blackjack- one nite. BlackJack to Little Harbor. - one nite. Watch out for Buffalo on the trail to Little Harbor. We had to bushwack around the buffalo standing on three trail. Also some hikers with a dog spooked the bufflo5 and the hikers ended up in cactus. From Little Harborbwe hiked to 2 Harbors- one nite. Took a shower there. 2 Harbors also has washer and dryer. From 2 Harbors to Parsons for 2 nites. Be sure to order your water and wood for Parsons when you book the campsite. There is no drinking water there. Don't miss out on a hike to Starlite Beach - 6 miles from Parsons. A Beautiful secluded Beach.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Instead of heading all the way to the north tip, we cut down to Two Harbors and packed kayaks for a 2 day 1 night return to Avalon. Stayed at Goat Harbor and it is by far the best boat in site. We have done this trip (TCT + kayaking) a few times and always had a great experience. Must book boat in campsites ahead of time as well as kayaks as the company which operates out of Descanso Beach will drop them off at two harbors and take any extra gear back to Avalon via the kayak delivery truck.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

My favorite backpacking trail in Southern California. It's my annual birthday trip (free roundtrip on the Catalina Express if you arrive on your birthday, must register beforehand). To get the most out of your trip. Take it slow. I like arrive early and make camp at Avalon's Hermit Gulch Campground for our first night. This way we can kayak, SUP, snorkel, etc for a whole day before we start our hike. Wonderful coastal views until you get deeper into the island and are greeted by herds of Bison and the endless sight of Catalina's rolling hills. Our most favorite spot on the island is Little Harbor. If your time window allows, spend a night there and do some rock jumping into the ocean.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Black Jack campground is about as far away from "Catalina" that you can be. It feels like you are up in the mountains! There are pine trees everywhere, planted, I guess at a time that no one cared about planting non-native trees. There is a cool barbeque pit that has been there what looks like forever! Just be careful...when you wake up in the morning, there just may be a bison standing in front of your tent!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010