Training Hill

Training Hill is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I think that the reviews that consider this easy maybe run this thing backwards lol.

It gets really steep at some spots. Can’t wait until it dries up a bit so it isn’t as hard to run down.

Really nice trail to get the heart pumping!

Great trail in the heart of the Auburn SRA for a good workout. Came early like the reviews advised and found plenty of parking at the trailhead. It was a steep grade but the fog and the water runoff made the trail muddy and wet. Had to turn off at Pig Farm to shorten the trek due to uncanny weather conditions higher up the hill. Will definitely start using this trail in the warmer months!

I wouldn’t consider hard.... maybe moderate. Good views!

This trail was really fun

Best hike I’ve been on yet!

They definitely mean steep! Fun, beautiful hike. Just challenging enough. Several other trails you can break off and go down to extend the hike. I saw 3 others hiking but only crossed paths with one other person. Get there early because parking is very limited at the trail head.

This is a steep climb, make sure you are physically fit. Happy trails!

Great hike if your looking for a little challenge. Well shaded and nice scenery!

Steep uphill climb to get the legs and lungs burning. Pleasant at the top after cresting the hill. Enough shade for a summer run. Good option to cut the loop short at Pig Farm for those who aren't up to the whole thing. Only downside is the end of the trail sits right above the 49.

This I good trail run not to hard and not to easy. Trail is in good condition for running, hiking. I will be back again

I absolutely love this trail. I've been here 4 weekends in a row, and I can see my progress. It's a great trail to test your ego and endurance. After the first time, I used the Stair Master two days later and ran out of energy a lot later than usual.

This trail is also great for trail running. I tried it today from the top to the bottom. Lots of fun :) You can wash off your shoes and legs in the river afterward.

This is an excellent trail if you're training for an event or just need a challenge. It is as difficult as you would expect, but if you're in decent shape, it is totally doable. The hills are challenging and the breaks are few, but merciful.

We did the loop from gate 150 and turned left just before the bridge. We took Training Hill all the way to the top, and continued on the intersection with Olmstead Loop. From there, we took the Western States/Wendell T. Robie back down to the parking area.

Most of the difficult terrain is in the shade. Views are few and far between. Overall, a great hike.

Kicked my rear!

It was good. River was absolutely stunning. going up was a good work out! got a little lost in the beginning though

This is my favorite trail if I want to have a quick steep uphill or downhill training. The hill is about 0.9 mile. The rest of 3.5 miles is mostly flat and in the shade. The trail is popular but not crowded at all.

Great trail for a exercise. Went up Training Hill and proceeded around the loop then cut up on Pig Farm for another good uphill to where it intersects Training Hill then back down. Total leg workout. Would not be fun in the heat but today was perfect weather, mostly overcast and cool.

Great workout! Tough first half followed by much easier second half. Not much scenery until latter half of hike. Would do it again!