Trail Canyon Falls

Trail Canyon Falls is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sunland-Tujunga, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,053 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: The beginning of this trail is on private property. This trail requires an adventure pass. The first half of the hike has shade and some water crossings, and the second half is exposed with limited shade.

Great trail- some fun water crossings. Not too difficult. My 4 & 6 year old kids made the whole hike to the waterfalls including down the mountain using the ropes. It was beautiful!

private property

Wonderful hike with many creeks (careful to not wet your shoes as you balance across logs and rocks) and steady ascent. the path is easy to follow and crosses private property by the entrance to the trail. A pleasant hike with so many people and their pups on this trail!

Great hike! Be prepared for a rope climb down to the base of the waterfall!

Really cool hike with beautiful views and a great payoff at the end with a cool waterfall.

Great workout. Slow steady incline. Not too bad. Waterfall is beautiful. You can go to the top or bottom of the waterfall. Minimal water crossings.

The first 3/4 mile is a fire road. You’ll pass a few private residences and there are enough signs indicating the direction of the trail. There were about 9-12 stream crossings but nobody in our group got their feet wet b/c of the stone steps or pieces of wood to walk on. The trail narrows and is a steady ascent until you get to the waterfall. The falls were absolutely beautiful today! As others have mentioned, there is a (new) mountaineer-type rope that will assist you down to the base of the falls and another rope that’ll lead you to the top of the falls.

flooded
private property

This trail is on private property and people are not respectful, they bring their kids who are loud and running n screaming. They let their dogs poop everywhere, a lot of foreigners come and are loud n leave trash, they don’t respect the fact it’s on private property. There’s a lot of treacherous water crossings and it’s not safe for kids, the hike is very narrow on the cliffs and people are letting their kids run down the mountain.

This trail is fantastic. Will become one of my regular routes for sure. It has it all - beautiful views, mix of sun and shade, and water in the form of a river and of course the waterfall. My dog, who is getting up there in age and is pickier about hikes now, loved it. The incline is very gradual / even so it didn’t feel hard at all. As others have said the ropes are dicey if you aren’t comfortable with that kind of climbing / scrambling. That said, I was able to climb down alone with one hand while my other hand was holding my dog. She was able to climb back up on her own. If you have a big dog it might be harder. There was a steady flow of other hikers but it never felt over crowded to me (I was there noon on a Saturday so would’ve expected much worse). People were very polite and it’s definitely important to be mindful of others because the trail is narrow in some spots. Climbing down to the base of the fall is great for pictures and a resting spot, but there’s much more space if you go to the top. People were able to spread out more up there. My dog and I got our own little spot to hang for the afternoon. Great experience and can’t wait to do it again. Leagues better than other local waterfalls which get way more crowded, have graffiti, and have rude inexperienced hikers blasting music on their Bluetooth speakers (looking at you, Eaton Falls).

The hike is worth the view, but you can easily get lost. There’s one part that was all sun and incline. The path is also narrow. Halfway the trail there’s no signs or anything. Before you go down to the falls, you have to hold on to ropes because it’s steep. No restrooms and water fountains.

Hike is good. Lost my trekking pole though. Boo

So beautiful. Lots of incredible scenery and many many streams. Be careful with animals because the water levels are very full right now and it’s kinda treacherous.

private property

My husband and I went this trail yesterday for the first time. We were unsure where to park at first because there are no clear parking signs. We just parked along the road. We got there about 9am and there was just a small group and a man with his dog not very busy at first. I am very new to hiking but it was a great challenge for beginners. A bit of crossing water and NO SIGNS AFTER THE PRIVATE PROPERTY :( We didnt get lost and we miss the waterfall and walked right over it! Walked for another 20 mins thinking our eyes were playing tricks on how big it was but nope! We didnt see it until we backtracked and looked over a cliff to see the waterfall from up top! The extra hike pass the waterfall was a good hike as well but you will get lost if you dont pay very close attention to your surroundings. We talked to a pair and they mentioned that there are two ways to get to the waterfall...up and around then down the sketchy rope (the way we took) or walk along the stream at the bottom. Around 12ish we walked back from the waterfall and there were so many people coming in which make for a bit more danger because the hike is narrow and high and people brought their dogs....which I dont think should be on the trail after a certain point or off leash. Watch out for too much dog poop because no one picks up after their pets :( Bring lots of water, a snack and wear sun protection!

What a lovely trail! The falls are flowing right now due to recent rain, more of a small double fall rather than one large fall. It was unclear where to park? Unclear if adventure pass was needed but it is in Angeles NF. All the incline is at the end. The actual trail keeps going over the top of the falls. As you near the top, there is a trail that juts off straight to the right rather sharply down. Going down to the base of the falls involves real scrambling. There is a sketchy climbing rope to help you, but it’s incredibly frayed at the anchor point and as a rock climber I would not trust my full weight on this rope. Very precarious for dogs, but I managed my two adventure pups down there. Falls were beautiful! Very peaceful and not very crowded on a weekday morning.

this is a steady incline hike and the beginning is on a fire road but after about a third of a mile turns into a single track and you gain about a thousand feet of altitude by the time you get to the waterfall but if you don't pay attention you'll miss the single-track to the right that goes down towards the waterfall otherwise you'll end up above the waterfall overall plenty of shade and a nice hike and right now that water is flowing

Winding hike to a beautiful waterfall. Not strenuous, but a few crossings of a narrow and shallow creek - they each have logs or stones to help cross over.

Amazing rainy day hike! We hiked today in the pouring rain. Lots of balance-y creek crossings and plenty of water flowing in the waterfall. Very mild incline, not tough on those of us with bad knees. Definitely put our rain gear to the test!

One of the best trails yet. Great work out

Took my dog, shaded most of the way. My daughter and I enjoyed the view and work out.

Nice hike. Would probably be better during the rainy season. Tough going up the mountain during the last mile- BRING WATER and take frequent rests if you're doing this midday.

River and waterfall is pretty dried out, but very nice hike in the morning