Trail Canyon Falls

Trail Canyon Falls is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tujunga, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail requires an adventure pass.

This was the first hike I’ve ever done so I am an out of shape BEGINNER. Took me about 2 hours to get down to the waterfall. Don’t be intimidated by the rope assist to get to the base of the waterfall. I was able to do it with a bit of effort. Not a lot of water but it was so worth getting down there. I really enjoyed this hike and will definitely return.

**I did not buy an adventure pass and had no problems**

Great trail! Began hike Saturday at 6:45 a.m. with one other car in the parking area-returned to 7 more cars at 9:15. Still, definitely a lightly traveled trail-saw 4 or 5 other hikers on the path. Not much incline (most of it approaching the falls) so I’d say this is easier than other “moderate” trails. Saw a rabbit and plenty of birds, lizards, bugs, hummingbirds, and tadpoles. Great views of the mountains from the floor of the canyon. Fine for dogs. Nice picnic area about 3/5 of the way to falls. Falls itself is definitely pretty, although not a ton of water in late June.

My hiking group hikes at night, and we hiked this on a Thursday night around 11pm. We all had bright lights, nothing crazy or scary. Really cool waterfall at the end with a steep descent down and a rope to hold on to. Good hike.

nice day hike. don't be intimidated of the rope assisted descent it's worth the effort.
some poison oak along trail but easily avoidable

Fairly easy hike except near the falls with steep descents that were too tough for young kids. Majority of hike was pretty and trail was well maintained.

Beautiful walk and waterfall.

Beautiful hike with a lot of lush growth and some wildflowers! Nice payoff at the end with the waterfall. You can access the top of the falls and also the bottom via an old rope to aid you in getting back up. Be careful! Bring lots of water

Beautiful trail!

This hike was great although I decided to hike in the afternoon... in June... with no clouds in sight! There are a few patches of shade but once in the gulch it's pretty much sun all the way. it was about 2.3 miles in to the falls so 4.6 round trip. I did it in 2 hrs and 6 min not including the short time i rested at the falls. Overall a pretty easy hike with a few inclines that make you dig in and push. Once you see the falls the fork will come up quick to a steep decent which a portion has a rope for you to use to hold on to. I wouldn't recommend it to the faint of heart, any timid beginners, elderly, people in improper hiking footwear or young children. there was water but the falls weren't magnificent. I'll definitely have to come back after a rainy day!

Awesome hike!

Trail isnt maintained very well but was really not too much of a hinderance. I walk in shorts and apart from brushing a few branches was otherwise unscathed. Trail was really easy to follow and the waterfall and views back across the canyon were well worth the climb in height. I hiked starting at 3pm and there were a good few parts in the shade as well as the sun which provided a good mix.

Had a great hike there, first mile or so is shaded, after that be prepared to hike exposed to direct sun. We actually camped overnight at the campsite a mile past the waterfall. Great secluded campsite just be extra careful did come across a rattle snake on side of trail...

i give this trail 5 stars but a little dangerous for kids .nice views! overall a beautiful trail . the only wird tging is thats the trail goes through a small town and i almost got bit by dog .

Great hike!

This was an excellent hike! The trail was easy enough for an adventurous 7 year-old, including the navigation down the rope-assisted section.
I would plan on spending an hour at the waterfall and just chillin with a snack, that way the crowds come and go in waves so you end up getting time alone.
Would highly recommend as a pretty easy hike!

Beautiful views and a pretty decent waterfall at the end. Brought my dog who was too scared to go down the rope to the base of the falls, so we went to the top of them instead which was really nice. Be careful of snakes! We saw 3 of them (including a rattlesnake) on our way back to the car

Super fun! Prepare to have hiking shoes tho

Very beautiful and peaceful

Did this at 9am on Monday, April 23rd. Didn’t see anyone on trail for at least an hour. It’s decently marked. A few spots where you can lose the trail but fairly easy to figure it out. Last mile to waterfall is a good steep incline. Trail narrows but if you keep going, it widens a bit again. We almost turned back before reaching waterfall. But ran into some hikers finally who said we were close. Continued on and got great views from distance. Final descent to waterfall is almost like repelling down using a rope to hold on to. We skipped that part but still got awesome views. Falls were full. Plenty of pretty wildflowers along the way.

Gorgeous trail! we didn't complete the 10miles, we did 8! got as far as we could and had to turn back because it became too difficult to get through bushes and climbing over fallen trees, once u hit the waterfall at mile 2.5, I believe, it's amazing!!!

Hiked here 2 days ago and it was beautiful.. so many flowers blooming and the waterfall flowing nicely! Pretty easy hike. It’s best to start early to avoid all the people. Busy trail! We started by 7:00 am and had the waterfall area to ourselves, which was great.

It’s a very nice place to go.

Fun hike, my husband and I lost track of the distance and continued past the waterfall. It became difficult to traverse because of the overgrown plants and numerous thorn bushes. We camped about a half mile past the waterfall there was a good spot with a fire pit and grill. Beware of ants !

one of best views and hikes that we went..really nice scenery..definitely well going back more often..the best time to go up is after the raining days..

A great hike, especially after a rain. The waterfall at the end makes it work trekking through the hot sun, since most of the hike is not under a canopy.

Started a little later than I would like and almost made it to the top of the trail where it meets Condor Peak Trail. I would’ve continued but had my doubts that there’d be a good spot to pitch a tent up there. Next time I’ll set up camp at Lucas Camp and summit in the morning. That’s probably the last chance to fill up and process water.

The trail has some pretty great views of the mountains a few miles in. Past the waterfall (which is beautiful by the way), the trail becomes narrower and less maintained. Around the six mile mark, it’s nearly impossible to take a backpack because of the over growth on the trails. It become a much more difficult vs. “moderate” trail. We saw around 5 sites to camp within those six miles. It’s very remote—no sounds of traffic and no sign of people. Plenty of water, as the trails followed the creek (this may change, depending on time of year). If you visit the waterfall, be careful not to get turned around. We wound back tracking and adding 2 miles to our trek back to the car. The trail to the waterfall is off the out-and-back main trail. Lots of inclines going in, mostly declines going out. No cell reception whatsoever, but the app can still track you on the trail. The only trail markers were stacked rocks that hikers made, and sometimes there were orange or pink ties on trees.

**parking: we parked on the main road because the road to the trail was closed off to visiting vehicles. It was about .3 miles to the trailhead. You pass a few small houses along the road. There will be a few signs that tell you which direction for the trail.

This trail was awesome. It took a lot of convincing to get my girlfriend to climb along the cliff side right before the water fall but she made it lol.

There's hardly any water, but a great workout!

We got to the trailhead around 2pm. We were able to get to the waterfall and enjoy our picnic on top overlooking the falls. There wasn't too much water coming from the falls but it was peaceful. As we were leaving the sun was setting and we got spectacular views of the mountains changing colors. We got to the car before dark. Overall a great hike!