Trabuco, Bell, Yeager Loop Trail

Trabuco, Bell, Yeager Loop Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Temescal, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The trail head is a bit farther than the Holy Jim parking lot with a few spots to park. It’s marked as Horse-thief trailhead where you start. It’s a lot easier than Holy Jim according to some friends who have done both.

This was an awesome hike. I did this hike in December and the weather was perfect. The first third of the trail was pretty open and exposed so bring sunscreen. I didn’t see any other hikers the entire trek, just a few mountain bikers. Though the trail was rarely marked and there was no cell service it was easy enough to figure out where to go. The accent felt very mild it wasn’t too steep.

The Bell Canyon section of the trail was more narrow and less maintained but still pretty, with much more shade. It was a lot more green than I would have expected without a recent rain.

The Yeager portion of the trail was pretty wild. It was a steep decent through very loose dirt. I fell a few times and spent most of that portion in a side stance trying to do a semi controlled slide down the hill.

I had never hiked in this area before but I totally enjoyed the views from the Divide Road and the peak. There was also geocache boxes at the peak with little notes which was cute. I will be back to do this hike in the Spring for sure.

Saturday, June 29, 2013