Toyon Canyon Trail to Lagoon Trail Loop

Toyon Canyon Trail to Lagoon Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile loop trail located near Alhambra Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I'll definitely do it again but not in the summer. it's now beginning of June and we suffered our way up, we took the loop starting right and it's all up without any bit of shadow. I wonder if by taking the loop clockwise it would have been less strenuous. Good thing: my dog came back without ticks and he was jumping through the high grass constantly. Also we encountered many ponds on our way which he used to refresh. He clearly enjoyed it more than us.

I usually enter from the Reliez Valley Road entrance where Briones Horse Center is located, then take the Orchard Trail up to the Toyon loop, then back down the Alahambra Creek Trail from the lagoons at the top, but other than the one long hill (that takes me about 25 minutes from base to summit) it's a very mild trail, great for running and training. It can get VERY muddy in the rainy months, and stays wet for a longer time than you'd expect, but it's got great views from the top, lots of shade, and pretty lagoons.

In this park, it's vital to be aware of the horseback riders. Always yield to horses, and if you're approaching from behind, call out so they know you're there and ask how they'd like you to proceed to pass. This is both a rule, and a courtesy. They're big animals that get scared easily, no reason not to take a minute to be kind. :)

NO potable water on this loop though, so you'll want to bring your own for SURE. It gets hot.