Towsley Canyon Loop Trail

Towsley Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,443 feet Route Type: Loop

hot springs

This hike has an amazing variety of sites and smells including strange geologic formations, frothy streambeds, tar pits and many different plant communities. The Tataviam Indians used the naturally occurring asphalt for healing purposes and to seal their basketry. At about the 0.9 mile you will encounter a slot like canyon called the Narrows which contains layers of nearly vertical rock formations. After the passage through the narrows stay left, then after another 200 yards stay left again and climb the switchbacks to the left that is called the Towsley Canyon Loop Trail. Topping out at 2450 feet, the trail begins a steep winding descent and includes breathtaking views of lush hillsides and canyons as it heads into Wiley Canyon. Joining a dirt road turn left and head down the canyon. After almost a mile of hiking take the Canyon View Loop Trail to the left which traverses over a summit and takes you back down to Ed Davis Park by the ranger station.

this was an okay hike I guess we should have come about 2 months ago when there was water but we still had a good time and we saw a couple of geographic anomalies and oil bubbling up out of the surface but other than that it was just an okay hike we did see three deer and a rabbit. other than that it was just a average hike

really good trail...

Awesome hike! Go now!

I went with my boyfriend at the time to do this. It was beautiful, but the heat was a killer. Definitely be prepared for the wether. I did it later that year in the winter and I enjoyed every bit of it.

great hike

Started back trail and it was a good workout.

If you want to start a good work out hike the back trail

Gorgeous hike with water creeks, monarch butterflies and scattered poppy fields. A Dog friendly and perfect weekend outing.

I use this Trail for training (trail running). Definitely a good challenge for the one hour.

lots of water, poppies and painted ladies! gorgeous hike!

This is my favorite hiking spot. Super steep in some areas, but it’s great for a good workout. Definitely feel amazing after this hike!! Unfortunately due to it raining so much it’s super muddy and some areas don’t feel super safe because of how muddy/slippery it is

Training w a 17.5 lb backpack. Trail was really beautiful, maintained and you can spot views of the SCV. Moderate trail with some steep uphill and at this time of year to see such greenery was amazing

One of the best hiking places in LA county , I went after 4 days of heavy rain it was very beautiful and green.

Beautiful hike. Trails were a little muddy due to last nights rain. Went counter clockwise which made the ascent a little easier

This is one of my favorite trails in Santa Clarita. It offers two trails, one approximately 5.5 miles and another approximately 1.5 miles. This trail is often heavily trafficked, and this includes mountain bikers (why they choose to ride on this pedestrian trail is beyond me). In the summer, watch out for rattlesnakes.

I really liked this hike! It was well maintained with good signage and trail markers. the Towsley Loop had lots of beautiful vistas and rock clambering, I brought my dog and she loved exploring all the different areas. I definitely hope to return to explore more of the creek bed and tar pits.

Great hike for sure, fir being right off the 5 highway you only notice it in view. Loved dome of the areas that challenged you up some decently steep grades. Even areas that have nice mature old Oak trees along the route. I went on a Monday mid morning and only passed a few people. The trail connects to others if you want to make it closer to a 6.5 mile hike.

Great hike. Took the family including our little who is only 2 but even she enjoyed it! There are some steep banks and you gain decent elevation throughout but all in all this has been one of my favorite hikes in LA.

Had a great hike! Start a bit later (around 10am) and the weather was perfect. We hiked the loop counter clockwise (which I recommend as most folks seem to be going clockwise). There are many lookouts just before the summit over Santa Clarita - if you keep going you'll get to what is the 'actual' summit on the trail, but there is a side trail on the right that loops around and takes you to the spine of the ridge up to an actual summit. Lookouts from up there are great! It also seems like that used to be a maintained trail but no longer is (it keeps going to other summits nearby). With that extra spur we clocked around 7.2 miles and were back to the car by 1pm.

**WARNING** Hiked on 11/25/18, parked in the dirt parking lot on the right and someone tried to break into my car. They busted both driver and trunk keyholes but thankfully weren't able to get in. I didn't have any valuables in my car that might tempt someone so be aware of leaving your car in the free parking lot. Hike itself was enjoyable but I wouldn't want to risk my car getting broken into.

Kickass hike, tar pits, just an all around amazing trail with great scenery and awesome for picture taking

Good trail with some nice canyon splitting. There are numerous tar pits at the beginning of the trail. There is quite a bit of wildlife as well. Very moderate hike with only a small section with some grade to it

Just did this one for the first time this morning, and I have to say it is by far one of the most intriguing hikes I've done. My friend and I started from the east end and worked up and down to the west end, where we found a BUNCH of tar pits!! I could even smell a hot spring somewhere, but I could not find it. After the tar pits is a very small interesting canyon with beautiful rock formations. I was very fascinated by them because some of them have a white substance all over them - I wonder if it's calcium or salt - and the striations are vertical as opposed to horizontal. There are also lots and lots of holes in the rocks which makes me believe at one point these rocks were submerged in water. All in all, it is not only a very beautiful hike, but a very educational one. I recommend it to everyone, even beginner hikers because even though it is a very challenging hike, the sights are well worth it!

Gorgeous

Beautiful hiking trails, good for family and pets.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Hiked this trail yesterday. It was beautiful. Still lots and lots of wildflowers. Did it alone with my dog It was a weekday and it felt pretty secluded at times. There was one spot that my dog had to walk through tar. There were some pavers spread out across it . But, he couldn’t really manage them. Somehow the tar even got in his water bowl! Then he didn’t want to drink from it. That was the only negative. There are bathrooms and trash cans at the bottom which is awesome. Didn’t have to take waste bags home with us for a change. Felt pretty safe. Beautiful and a good workout.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

If you take the longer loop, it’s close to 6miles with significant elevation change making it a moderate trail. Very clean and well kept, not busy. Fantastic views at the top. Some really lovely flowers this time of year and an interesting bubbling patch of oil along with various tarry spots along the way. Overall very interesting and enjoyable.