Towsley Canyon Loop Trail

Towsley Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,443 feet Route Type: Loop

hot springs

This hike has an amazing variety of sites and smells including strange geologic formations, frothy streambeds, tar pits and many different plant communities. The Tataviam Indians used the naturally occurring asphalt for healing purposes and to seal their basketry. At about the 0.9 mile you will encounter a slot like canyon called the Narrows which contains layers of nearly vertical rock formations. After the passage through the narrows stay left, then after another 200 yards stay left again and climb the switchbacks to the left that is called the Towsley Canyon Loop Trail. Topping out at 2450 feet, the trail begins a steep winding descent and includes breathtaking views of lush hillsides and canyons as it heads into Wiley Canyon. Joining a dirt road turn left and head down the canyon. After almost a mile of hiking take the Canyon View Loop Trail to the left which traverses over a summit and takes you back down to Ed Davis Park by the ranger station.

Great trail! Moderately uphill but you can still sustain a conversation with a friend. Beautiful views!

I did the loop going clockwise and what a workout! I got my heart pumping. Bring your dog along but be sure they are on flea and tick medication, as well as a leash. If you have a big dog… There’s a solid chance they will get tar on their paws if you can’t pick them up to carry them over a couple of spots. Beautiful trail. Lots of variety. May do it again in the future and will go counterclockwise to change it up. Lots of beautiful photo ops as well.

Great trail to get lost in nature even though it’s in the city.

Great trail

muddy today but always a fun hike.

Great trail. Little bit of mud from recent rain but trail is still open.

I run this from the lower parking lot and back and it’s 6.5 miles. Approximately 1330 feet of vertical ascent. I start the trail going up the back because it’s steeper and an easier down going down the front. Takes me about 80 minutes. Great workout and compliment to road training. I recommend it; and that isn’t a “recommend” recommendation.

Took my dogs on a walk here. Pretty path a bit overgrown but dog owners please beware. Came back with ticks all over & tar on their paws.

I really enjoyed this hike! There are two options for parking, one free next to the main road and the other for $7.50 by the main trail head. If you park in the free section, be prepared to walk up about 3/4 of a mile before hitting the actual trail. You have to look closely as you approach the trail head because the sign is not readily visible until you get right up on top of it. This is a heavily trafficked trail for most of the day, so I would urge you to get an early start (not like I did!) to enjoy the trail to its fullest. There is a beautiful view at the top and you can either come back down the way you came up or continue on the back end of loop and back to the trail entrance. For a full review, check out my video at https://youtu.be/cnlwV_uUf7A

Does it have a hot spring ???

Had a feeling I wouldn’t be able to complete before sunset, so instead I took a right at the loop-then when I connected to Towsley Canyon Rd I connected to the Elder Loop trail then the Taylor trail for an easy finish.

dry but clear trails!

Hey ya'll! If you're interested in some more information about the history of this hiking area, as well as some geology, I wrote up a little piece about it. Check it out! https://hikethepla.net/towsley-canyon-hike/

This is a great area there are so many trails located here. This trail has a lot to see it offers shade and wide open spaces. Areas with trees and small side trails for lookout spots. The only downside is the long wide gravel road until you get to the good stuff. It's only about maybe a quarter of a mile but seems longer when your ready to see Mother Nature. The incline is gradual. I would definitely come back to do more exploring.

Great trail to run, decently challenging. Just don't start on the wrong end, it doesn't look like a trail at the end (the actual beginning) and you may feel lost

It was rainy but trail was bomb. Way too many people on the trail.

I turned left and found it a reasonably easy hike, most of the steep stretches were downhill, so if you want more of a challenge I recommend you turn right. Another user mentioned this trail being overcrowded, I would disagree. As a young, foreign female, I prefer routes with occasional crossings. I took this trail at 15:30 on a Thursday afternoon and only crossed paths with 2 people in 2 hours. Some lovely views, a mix of sun and shade and lovely nature. Recommended.

This is my go to trail that I hike 3-4 times a week. It’s 10 minutes away from my house and seems to be one of the best maintained trails in Santa Clarita. Pros: it’s close by, I can take my dogs, it’s beautiful, it’s challenging in a good way, there’s a lot of shade on all of the trails so you can use them even in the summer. Cons: completely overcrowded even in the earliest of the morning you’ll see other people, there’s A LOT of rattlesnakes AND tics, when it’s raining it’s close to impossible to use the trails, people are not good at keeping their dogs on leash and also not great at taking their trash with them which really bums me out. The trails are also marked clearly the whole way so no one should have any trouble navigating. Just remember water and to keep your dogs on leashes (for every ones safety) and to take your trash with you. Please and thank you.