Towsley Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

This hike has an amazing variety of sites and smells including strange geologic formations, frothy streambeds, tar pits and many different plant communities. The Tataviam Indians used the naturally occurring asphalt for healing purposes and to seal their basketry. At about the 0.9 mile you will encounter a slot like canyon called the Narrows which contains layers of nearly vertical rock formations. After the passage through the narrows stay left, then after another 200 yards stay left again and climb the switchbacks to the left that is called the Towsley Canyon Loop Trail. Topping out at 2450 feet, the trail begins a steep winding descent and includes breathtaking views of lush hillsides and canyons as it heads into Wiley Canyon. Joining a dirt road turn left and head down the canyon. After almost a mile of hiking take the Canyon View Loop Trail to the left which traverses over a summit and takes you back down to Ed Davis Park by the ranger station.

Great hike for sure, fir being right off the 5 highway you only notice it in view. Loved dome of the areas that challenged you up some decently steep grades. Even areas that have nice mature old Oak trees along the route. I went on a Monday mid morning and only passed a few people. The trail connects to others if you want to make it closer to a 6.5 mile hike.

Great hike. Took the family including our little who is only 2 but even she enjoyed it! There are some steep banks and you gain decent elevation throughout but all in all this has been one of my favorite hikes in LA.

Had a great hike! Start a bit later (around 10am) and the weather was perfect. We hiked the loop counter clockwise (which I recommend as most folks seem to be going clockwise). There are many lookouts just before the summit over Santa Clarita - if you keep going you'll get to what is the 'actual' summit on the trail, but there is a side trail on the right that loops around and takes you to the spine of the ridge up to an actual summit. Lookouts from up there are great! It also seems like that used to be a maintained trail but no longer is (it keeps going to other summits nearby). With that extra spur we clocked around 7.2 miles and were back to the car by 1pm.

**WARNING**

Hiked on 11/25/18, parked in the dirt parking lot on the right and someone tried to break into my car. They busted both driver and trunk keyholes but thankfully weren't able to get in. I didn't have any valuables in my car that might tempt someone so be aware of leaving your car in the free parking lot.

Hike itself was enjoyable but I wouldn't want to risk my car getting broken into.

Kickass hike, tar pits, just an all around amazing trail with great scenery and awesome for picture taking

Good trail with some nice canyon splitting. There are numerous tar pits at the beginning of the trail. There is quite a bit of wildlife as well. Very moderate hike with only a small section with some grade to it

Just did this one for the first time this morning, and I have to say it is by far one of the most intriguing hikes I've done. My friend and I started from the east end and worked up and down to the west end, where we found a BUNCH of tar pits!! I could even smell a hot spring somewhere, but I could not find it. After the tar pits is a very small interesting canyon with beautiful rock formations. I was very fascinated by them because some of them have a white substance all over them - I wonder if it's calcium or salt - and the striations are vertical as opposed to horizontal. There are also lots and lots of holes in the rocks which makes me believe at one point these rocks were submerged in water. All in all, it is not only a very beautiful hike, but a very educational one. I recommend it to everyone, even beginner hikers because even though it is a very challenging hike, the sights are well worth it!

Gorgeous

Beautiful hiking trails, good for family and pets.

Hiked this trail yesterday. It was beautiful. Still lots and lots of wildflowers. Did it alone with my dog It was a weekday and it felt pretty secluded at times. There was one spot that my dog had to walk through tar. There were some pavers spread out across it . But, he couldn’t really manage them. Somehow the tar even got in his water bowl! Then he didn’t want to drink from it. That was the only negative. There are bathrooms and trash cans at the bottom which is awesome. Didn’t have to take waste bags home with us for a change. Felt pretty safe. Beautiful and a good workout.

If you take the longer loop, it’s close to 6miles with significant elevation change making it a moderate trail. Very clean and well kept, not busy. Fantastic views at the top. Some really lovely flowers this time of year and an interesting bubbling patch of oil along with various tarry spots along the way. Overall very interesting and enjoyable.

One of the best trail for hiking for beginners, really awesome view and so quiet for meditation lovers or relaxation

Gorgeous canyon views!

Amazing views from the canyon! Wild flowers along the trail in mid April.

I'm new to hiking and did this trail. Was a bit harder than expected but certainly worth it. This time of year, it is great, cool and green, with excellent views. I was happy I completed, next time I'll do with my backpack with some weight to it.

Great 5 ml trail good for running & walking.

Beautiful trail with a major incline. One side of the mountain is steep and one side has a series of switchbacks a small year round creak flows in the canyon below. Hike it in the cool months between March and May and you will see miles of rare California green and lots of wild flowers making they’re brief appearance for the year. Highly recommended!

I can't tell how much I like this hike. haha. We started around 2:30p. Parked in the first lot outside the gates, just in case we didn't make it back by sunset (they lock the gate at sunset). Did this counter clockwise. It's like you're somewhere else for the first portion. Lots of shade, large rocks, and a stream. Very nice and cool - Up through about the 2mi mark from the gate. Once you get to the top, there is a cool tree laying on it's side and a view. We thought this was the very top. But, we were fooled we walked about 5 mins past it and there was an even bigger tree with an even better view.

Great views with some shade and water features.

Great trail! If you want a nice up hill workout, make sure you start the trail from the front to get that big hill, otherwise the back way is a great workout as well, but without he big hill upward hike. Either way, great trail! You can also turn around in the middle, by the stream part, and go back and that offers more distance and intensity.

Very nice hike!

I’d consider this more of a moderate trail about 5 miles total, but then again I’m pretty active. This is a great trail for mountain biking as well and is a gradual climb. As you get to the top, there are quite a few dead trees which make for great photo ops. Didn’t see much from a tar pit geothermal perspective, though. Great for dogs too, though sometimes the path gets pretty narrow. You can’t get lost. It’s an easy loop!

Love this local challenging trail.

best after it rains.

Definitely a good little trail. Lots of different things to see and the dog loved it.

Good hike if you want a workout and have a couple of hours! Took my dog, she loved it!

I do this hike at least once a week, great for the dog , there is a very small part that you cross a oily patch, but it is only about 6 feet wide.
try both directions as it is a different hike depending on which way you go on the loop

Prettier than you can tell from the pictures!

Great scenes, definitely off camber and slippery when dry...glad I brought the trekking poles helped balance well.

Nice hike