EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Torrey Pines - Red Butte, Yucca Point, and Razor Point

Torrey Pines - Red Butte, Yucca Point, and Razor Point is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near La Jolla, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 203 feet Route Type: Loop

scenic driving

beach

This hike combines Red Butte, the Yucca Point Trail, and the Razor Point Trail. You will see lots of wildlife, plants, and of course the wonderful and rare Torrey Pines. Enjoy the breeze, smell the flowers, and plan to spend at least half a day here.

Easy, unusual red color, great views.

Great trail would highly recommend. Very easy.

All ages super easy..!

Awesome!!

This was an easy trail to follow, and the terrain wasn’t particularly rugged. Suitable for all ages and abilities. The views across the cliffs and out to the sea are amazing, not to mention the flowers and trees, and as I was up there at the end of a beautiful clear day in January I was treated to a stunning sunset. Well worth a visit.

very beautiful views

I would consider this easy, not moderate. Beautiful views, but can be very busy

This was an absolutely stunning trail. Yes, it’s 20 bucks to park but completely worth it. Would have loved to have more time. Will definitely hike this again!

closed

Note all trails at Torrey Pines are currently closed due to the March rains. Huge bang for your buck. Ultra easy with fantastic views of the cliffs and ocean.

Good views, easy walk along the trail, the trail is worth a run. If you get there early morning, you may catch some dolphins in the ocean :)

It’s a busy trail but well worth it. I recommended paying the $15 dollar entrance fee to park or you will walk an additional few miles to the trail head. Should support our parks anyway, they are very busy picking up trash and cleaning up graffiti. The trail is easy with gorgeous ocean views. Get out there. Happy trails.

Breathe taking views.

Love it!

The views are amazing but this is a very busy trail. Going down it definitely seems easy and the trail does go all the way down to the ocean with beautiful views all the way. I definitely didn’t realize how steep it was until I was in the way back up. The smooth sandy trail is too set and carved out for my taste but I assumed it was for safety and preservation I would definitely hike here again.

Great hike any time of the year!

A must see. This hike sealed the deal for me and my move to San Diego.

Nice and easy trails, fun little hike

Beautiful trails and breathtaking views!

Limited parking is available in the upper lot at the trailhead if you want to avoid a long walk up from the south lot. We arrived early on a weekday before our flight, and it wasn't overly crowded. Trail itself is easy with gorgeous views of the coastline and cliffs. You are exposed most of the time so sunscreen and hat is ideal.

So crowded.. it is an easy level, definitely not a moderate one. Go there during the week and early if you want to enjoy without so many people. It is super nice!

go during the week and early. There's way too many people here otherwise.

Breathtaking, but go early in the day to avoid the crowds!

Monday, June 11, 2018

Pleasant, easy and enjoyable. Beautiful scenery! Get here early. Worth it!

Thursday, June 07, 2018

Great views and a fairly short and easy trek

Sunday, May 06, 2018

beautiful. it's pretty short to get out to the cliffs and back, but you can combine a lot of different trails to get in 4 to 6 miles if you want

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Amazing views

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Parked in the lower lot not knowing there is a 2nd lot up top. No big deal but we were short on time having to catch a flight so would have preferred doing more on top then schlepping up the Park Road. All was good though as we took in the Scripps Overlook then went down to Razor Point vea the Butte. Traversed over to Yucca Point which was great too then returned via the West Overlook and the Park Road. I guess I wasn't thinking straight since we could have gone down the Beach Trail and returned via the beach in probably the same time. Oh well, will be back to this park at some point to finish things up!!

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Arrived at 8:30 AM and paid our $15 at the ranger station. Watch out for walkers on the road up to the upper lot. For a weekend morning, there were only 2 other cars in the upper lot. The restrooms were out of order, so they have several portable toilets set up. The trails were moderately crowded when we started, and very crowded by the time we finished. Weather and views were beautiful. On our way back to the trail head we saw signs for rattlesnakes - luckily we did not see any. After our hike we visited the small nature center. Watch out for even more walkers on the road on the way down. Luckily we found a spot in the lower lot to use the flush toilets and explore the beach. There's also a picnic area with shaded tables.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Crossed paths with a rattlesnake on razor trail last week

Saturday, March 17, 2018