Torrey Pines Beach Trail Loop

EASY 1,111 reviews

Torrey Pines Beach Trail Loop is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near La Jolla, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Hike down the beach and then up the trail while stopping at several viewpoints along the way for rest.

Absolutely breathtaking. Easy walking, friendly people, amazing views and amazing weather.

The first part up the hill is meh. The viewpoints are also overrated. The walk on the beach is amazing. Also I went in the afternoon and the reflections of the canyons in the receding water were mesmerizing.

This turned out to be an adventure. I guess I underestimated the hike and decided to go after work at 6:30 PM. Did half the hike (the part on the beach) in near darkness. It can be a little intimidating hiking in the dark in high tide when you don't know how much further you have to go and you are not sure what lays ahead. My advice to all, start at least one hour before the sun sets if you want to avoid the dark. Still a very scenic and a gorgeous trail. One big disadvantage of hiking at night on the beach here is that there were a lot of mosquitoes (on a particular section).

I absolutely love Torrey Pines. The scenery is gorgeous, and the beach at the end of this trail is so refreshing.

Absolutely loved Torrey Pines. Walked the loop the end of June. Beautiful views. Colorful rock formations. Gorgeous beach. We walked from the lower parking lot up the road to several overlooks and then took beach trail down to the shoreline and back to the car. There is very little shade. Bring some good sunscreen and a hat. Parking gets crazy so go early and on a weekday. Highly recommend.

This is a great hike. The scenery is beautiful and it’s a real easy trail. When I went in May it had a lot of foot traffic. A family friendly trail. It ends at the beach and you can walk up and down the coast. Just beautiful. Highly recommend!

Great trail to get out & enjoy the scenery. The. Jews of the ocean are spectacular. The walk along the beach back to the parking lot caps it off. Bring a swimsuit & relax on the beach afterwards.

You are richly rewarded when you breach the final hill showing the ocean. You can see DelMar to the right, and The Jolla Cove to the left.

1st hike ever! Spent a few days in San Diego which we usually do once a year, wanted to do something different with my wife and two daughters 6/3. Drove to the South Beach parking lot from Hotel Circle (15-20 min) paid $15 for parking on a Monday and headed up the hill to get to the trails, that was the hardest part, my 3 year old was already on my shoulders and my 6 year old was already starting to complain. Finally got to the trail and they were more enthused. 6 year old did everything herself, with a helping hand on some steeper steps and sandy rock towards the bottom. They loved the end result of the ocean being right there at the last staircase. She now wants to do a hike again. I would recommend 5+ for newbies, yes younger can do it, but expect them to want to be carried for a bit.

Great trail for all ages and abilities. Plan on checking tide levels if you’re looking to take the beach trail back to the parking lot. High tide hit around noon.

The ocean is my only medication!

Easy Hike and Beautiful Views!

Great layout but the dry climate over the past few years has forced all of this once beautiful flowered reserve into hibernation. A few cactus blooms were evident but the rest of the coastal vegetation is mostly dry green or dead brown. The long beach strut concludes at a climbable rock formation extending into the sea, the hill climb up is a good short walk with some new erosion barriers and steps, and the ocean views get better and better at each level. Torrey Pines despite the current sad hiatus of beautiful plant growth remains one of America and California’s most stunning sites.

So beautiful. Well worth it. It was our first hike we’ve ever done in San Diego. We hiked with our 10 month old in a hiking carrier and there were only a couple spots my husband needed help. Loved it.

Close to UCSD and beautiful!

Fun trail for anyone any day.

Fun hike for anyone any age

Gets fairly busy, head up early

Beautiful...

Beautiful and if you get there early with less people, even better!

Loved this hike! It turned into an out and back due to high surf, there was no way to walk along the beach. Views were amazing even with overcast skies. Beautiful place to see the sunset!

it was fun!

Great trail very scenic !

It’s one of my favorite places in the world. It’s not a hard hike at all. It can be very busy on the weekends and holidays. There are rattlesnakes in the area so be mindful

Gorgeous trail with a very scenic overlook. Not hard at all. Warning: the park doesn't open until 7 AM and the rangers are strict about it.

A good day hike with great views. Very crowed for a Monday.

I was able to hike 8.2 miles up and down all of the trails. This will ALWAYS be my favorite place to hike in Southern California!

This is where we bring all our out of town guests when they visit. The first hill can be tiring, but man are the views worth it. I’ve also done that hill 9 months pregnant, so it’s not that awful. Even with all the foot traffic, the views make everything so peaceful and serene. A must do whether you’re a San Diego local or a tourist.

I wouldn’t bring a stroller, but this is still a great trail for baby-wearing or young kids who follow directions (e.g., wouldn’t trust my 2 yr old around the cliffs but older kids would do fine).

This was a great walking trail. Overall there are plenty of views and other trails that you can explore if you would like.

The parking at the bottom is $20 for the day. If you are able to, park alongside the road in the limited spots for free.

This trail was very busy, but enjoyable. Nice for a casual outing. We walked along the beach on the way back and a wave came up and got us wet to the knees. Make sure to pay attention to the tide, in some spots with high tide you might not be able to make it.

The most beautiful views in San Diego, keep in mind the heavy traffic when visiting on the weekends! I went on a Monday around 9am and it wasn't busy at all, it was perfect so if you plan on going, try to visit on a week day rather than the weekend. Having said all that, the views are spectacular on this quick and easy hike, we enjoyed it very much